Busted my fretting hand at work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted my fretting hand at work...

My left index finger got stuck in a chain that was lifting a boat. The finger burst like a boiled sausage, but there was no blood, at first. The finger was white, and kinda deformed, and I had no feeling in it at all. My boss almost fainted, and a co-worker drove me to the ER.

I had a fool's luck. Blood and feeling returned to the finger after a while. Nothing is broken, so I should be able to play again once the fleshy bits heal. I could easilly have crushed the bones in my finger, lifting that damn boat.

Oh well - one experience richer. Feels kinda bizarre to have a busted-up finger and feel nothing but relief.

Close call bro. That sounded like a sure way of getting your finger torn off. I would have pissed myself. I'm sure you'll be shredding in no time. Heal quickly.
    Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Ouch. Stick it somewhere nice and warm and wet.........
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Lucky Sunbitch, er I mean Lucky Sunbane
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thank you gents!

Comment

Have had many similar experiences, and it really sucks. It takes a long time to heal. Hope all goes well in the long run..

Get some Neosporin, and change the bandage twice a day. Other than the Neo, keep it as dry as possible, although it sounds like it may be difficult for you given the boat thing. 600 mg of ibuprophen every 4 hours will help keep the swelling to a minimum, too, but some people have a sensitivity to that dosage, so pay attention...
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

you had me at boiled sausage....

geezus, man. I felt sick reading about it. I hope you heal quick and don't suffer any lasting effects.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, and glad it wasn't worse! Hope you make a quick, full recovery.

Comment

J/K, glad you were able to avoid a near life changing moment.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

I can supply crappy phone pics, but unfortunately I didn't have wits enough to snap one right after the incident, when it was looking all deformed and shit.

I suspect that the finger may become a little warped, because it appears to me that the nail is off by a couple of degrees. The chain probably kinda wrung the flesh around the bone a little. I'm really happy the nerves seem to be intact.

No major swelling as of yet, so I may have been lucky that it burst. It bled and watered quite a bit once I got the feeling back in it, but now the crack in the skin is drying out nicely. The pain have subsided too. I'm back at work, doing all the usual stuff - just being extra careful with the finger.

Comment

Ouch! Hope it heals up good as new.
                      Scott

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I'd pizzed my pants right there for sure....
                        Hope it heals quick! I'd laid my ring finger open with a razor
                        blade opening a box on my fretting hand years ago about 3 days
                        before a show. No way a band-aid would work, it muted the strings.
                        I had my girlfriend superglue it and we were right in the middle of
                        playing Lunatic Fringe when the other guitar/keyboard player was
                        motioning to my guitar neck. There was blood all over the neck.
                        Looked like I'd beat somebody to death with it.

Hope you heal well and quick........

Comment

Thanks!

I've been a little paranoid that my nail would fall off or something, but it still there, and looking healthier with each day. The finger is kinda purple now, but not swollen, and still not hurting. I'm amazed that it didn't get infected, but I had new gloves on when the accident occurred, and I immediately put it under cold running water to make the blood vessels contract.

Comment

Sunbane,

Thank goodness, it wasn't worse.... heal quickly!!!
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                            X