Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting seriously tired of some band members lacking commitment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting seriously tired of some band members lacking commitment...

Doesn't prioritize rehearsals and stuff, feels like they don't really care about actually getting better and growing musically. I've been friends with the guys forever, which makes it harder to do something about, can't really kick them out of the band, so I'm just gonna quit myself and start something new with more committed people.

But, I don't think that is going to make them to happy either, and don't really know how to say it. Figured some of you guys might have been through the same thing and could give me some advice on this. I don't wanna ruin our friendship, but I can't stand this anymore either, to be available for rehearsal two nights a week when half of the times it's canceled anyway. To be constantly pissed of on them can't be to good for the friendship either...

I just wanna do this with the least hassle possible, cause I really wanna be in a band where everybody is committed and really cares. This feels like a joke at the moment.

You can't change them and you can't make it painless either. Best to calmly tell them how you feel and move on. Realize that they will probably be pissed or hurt at first, but they'll get over it. Expect them to give you some grief and just let it go.

The problem is that half of musicians realy are flaky - it's why we have the rep for it. So there's no guarantee you won't run across the same situation again and again. But that doesn't mean you stop looking for the right people either, because they are out there. Just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.... Best of luck to you!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Piss on their car seats and get a cheap ass fucking bass and wreck a car with it. Far as splitting bands goes, works every time.

If you've been in the band from the beginning, and it is your baby, you could find a way to say that you'd appreciate if they'd show more commitment or leave. Works almost every time if you word it right. Just be civil about it and see what happens.
      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
        Doesn't prioritize rehearsals and stuff, feels like they don't really care about actually getting better and growing musically. I've been friends with the guys forever, which makes it harder to do something about, can't really kick them out of the band, so I'm just gonna quit myself and start something new with more committed people.

But, I don't think that is going to make them to happy either, and don't really know how to say it. Figured some of you guys might have been through the same thing and could give me some advice on this. I don't wanna ruin our friendship, but I can't stand this anymore either, to be available for rehearsal two nights a week when half of the times it's canceled anyway. To be constantly pissed of on them can't be to good for the friendship either...

I just wanna do this with the least hassle possible, cause I really wanna be in a band where everybody is committed and really cares. This feels like a joke at the moment.

First and formost communication is the key, you need to find out what they want out of this relationship. Try to talk to them with out the finger pointing and the blame game since they are friends and not just a working relationship. Tell them what you want out of the band and see if compromises can be made and commitments taken seriously and if you guys dont agree on what direction you want to take it then move on but try to be adult about it so that you wont ruin the friendships that you have spent a long time building. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
          Piss on their car seats and get a cheap ass fucking bass and wreck a car with it. Far as splitting bands goes, works every time.

If you've been in the band from the beginning, and it is your baby, you could find a way to say that you'd appreciate if they'd show more commitment or leave. Works almost every time if you word it right. Just be civil about it and see what happens.
          It's not "my" baby, even though I would consider myself as one of the two who's in charge really (and that the band most likely would dissolve if I left). But I feel that I could just as well start a new band from scratch as asking others to leave as it wouldn't be that much left of the so called band anyway if I did.

I've been considering confronting them and tell that I will leave if it doesn't get any better, but to be honest I very much doubt that they would improve long term, unfortunately. So I have pretty much made up my mind, just wanted to hear some opinions from other people as well before I take the final step.

Comment

"They'll have to PLAY without an ACE in their DECK!!"

Geddit?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Geddit?
              I do geddit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post

My thoughts too. I bet Ade's still available to join a band.
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Well, some people in the band did spill a ton of beer in MY car recently...

Comment

I know how you feel...
                    Out of not doing anything in my current band I started to write
                    music myself for a death metal thing and also a death/doom/melodic metal
                    thingy...

And currently I write some industrial metal style songs..

I just have the problem that there aren`t many people into this music in
                    my country... :/
                    Sucks.
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Geddit?
                      ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN GGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I'm already searching people for a new project, have a drummer at least with similar taste in music to mine, and is a serious person as well. Gonna play some nice kinda progressive 70s inspired rock I think.

Comment

So many factors involved in getting & keeping a band going.

Good luck to you, man.

Comment

I say it is "band meeting" time. Gather them all together and find out where they want to go with the band. State what you want to acheive and see if you can come to any compromises. If not, then hopefully the people who know they want less from the band than you do will quit (I had it happen once).

Just don't come across as a dink though... that never really works. But let them know that you plan on being more productive, whether it is with them or not.
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I've already informed the singer (he's NOT one of those uncommitted ones) that I am leaving. Gonna tell the rest of the band on Wednesdays rehearsal (if it's not canceled... :P), I'll give you guys an update afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X