randy denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randy denied

i was killing time in barnes and noble and was at the guitar section of the magazine rack and spotted the 100 greatest guitar heros magazine by Guitarist magazine.i was was thumbing through it to see what they had wrote on randy, articles per player were on average 2 or 3 pages, and i didn't run across him so i flipped strait to the front glossary and lo and fucking behold , he didn't make it. there were some definate people who deserved to be in there rock, country, classical, etc... but people like kurt cobain made it in, WTF.come on now this is rediculous,(he was a great songwriter and a b guitarist) everyone in here knows of randy rhoad's artist and guitar design contributions as well as inspiration to thousands of guitarists professional and beginner alike. i hold that publication not even a worthy look ever again.i needed this bitching to be heard.
    DK2 EERIE DESS
    KE3 CUSTOM
    KELLY PROFESSIONAL
    KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
    RR3 PRO
    BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
    KRAMER VOYAGER
    LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
    TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Probably the dumbasses who made the list never even heard of RR. Did they also leave out J.E. Lee, Vivian Campbell, and Satch?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

A lot of those magazines just use names people know, or just don't know people.

I have this guitar book, and it has James Hetfields Truckster in there, (for some odd reason). As I was reading about it, it claimed James was, get this, the lead guitarist for Megadeath for some time

Comment

magazines with "lists" in them are always pretty much worthless, rolling stone is great for for pulling these shenanigans. I think most of us know who all the great guitar players are and don't need a list to tell us that.

On that note, I think most of these list are done that way on purpose because they get redundant, and it'll cause a few seconds of bitching by us. Its good promotion for them in a way, i mean we're talking about it right now, so its working.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
          A lot of those magazines just use names people know, or just don't know people.

I have this guitar book, and it has James Hetfields Truckster in there, (for some odd reason). As I was reading about it, it claimed James was, get this, the lead guitarist for Megadeath for some time
          Who's "Megadeath" ?

Honestly, I haven't picked up a guitar mag in ages, There's usually not much in them for me.

Comment

Those lists are made by fucking morons. And they often leave out even more important names than Randy or Satch.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

But this was Guitarist magazine? That's a pretty decent UK guitar magazine. HArd to beleive that they left out Randy... but I guess they probably had to make room for the Brit pop guys from Coldplay, Oasis and [name other crappy Brit pop].
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

kurt has always been the greatest guitarist in these lists, nothing new here...
                anyway, he probably made as much punks grab a guitar (if you call'em that way?!) as randy did in the metal scene.
                these lists never were about great guitarists in the meaning of good players anyway, it's more about beeing known and having a decent impact on music I guess...
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Kurt Cobain? He made me want to smash my guitar more than pick it up. WTF? :think:

Comment

hey, I was just trying to be objective...
                    of course he's not anywhere near randys skills and he doesn't show up in my personal list of greatest guitarists either, but so far everyone I know who started out with guitar was able to play the beginning of "come as you are" as well as the Em intro of "nothing else matters" after two weeks...
                    I don't get it either, but that's just the way it is I guess...

and I'm pretty sure most kids nowadays pick up the guitar because of bands I never even heard of.
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

It would be hard to make a list of even top 10 guitar heros and legitimately exclude Randy.

Comment

There seems to be confusion on these lists in the sense that people who legitimately belong on a list called "Most Influential/Talented Musicians Who Also Play Guitar" end up on a list called "Greatest Guitar Players".

These lists are always a bit silly. Part of the issue is how greatness is defined, of course, and guitarists always believe they should be the ones making the list. "Authenticity" seems to trump talent, whatever "authenticity" is....that's why you'll see Joanie Mitchell on these lists, or Cobain, or anyone else whose music is "correct" in the ever-changing "what's hot/what's not" crush list of people who think they're smarter & more sophisticated than the masses (ie, me and you).

That's why Paul Gilbert never shows up, or Jason Becker.

"Take your "Van Halen in the Top 10" and be happy with it- the rest is butt rock!"

"Now let me talk to you about some guy you have never heard of, who only recorded one album that is LONG out of print and can only be found at the thrift store. He's amazing. I recognized his greatness the minute I heard him. Well, me and 10,000 of my hipster friends did."

When I heard about "It Might Get Loud" and saw Page & Edge were involved I thought it made alot of sense- You have one guy who plugs straight into a Marshall and another guy that massages the signal until it becomes something totally new- I get it- The purist & the alchemist. But then Jack White? What, the trendy guy that the "kids" know? He fits not at all.

What they needed in that mix was a SHREDDER. You had the simple, tasty pentatonic Marshall guy, the layered, effects-driven complicated guy....you needed the fingerboard burner, the virtuoso, the musically-mental guy who eats modes & shits scales 10 times before breakfast....Instead we get Jack White.

Ugh.

Comment

Pagey wanted Jack White
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum_Crunch View Post
                            It would be hard to make a list of even top 10 guitar heros and legitimately exclude Randy.
                            Wow that's tough. These lists are always tough. Randy might not make a Top 10 list. Top 10 is hard - you're talking about GAME CHANGERS in the Top 10.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

A lot of guitar magazine journalists write shit based on what they grew up with or whatever has been around during their life time. Very little comes from anthropological/historical perspective.

We also talk about guys who we've used to listen to ... Lynch, Moore and other gunslingers but there's a lot more important guys who are almost never mentioned. How often someone mentions Charlie Christian, Charly Patton or Ramón Montoya? They have ridiculous importance to how we all play. And it's journalists' job to address those names when it comes to the subject of innovation and influence.

Comment

Working...
                              X