Wanna know what pisses me off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna know what pisses me off?

when you are out in public in a social setting, and somebody that knows you play guitar introduces you to some late 40's early 50's burnout loser that "is a great guitar player" to the uneducated ear..........and you be a nice guy and go along with it, and then the guy wants to start discussing gear. OK fine. lets talk gear.

what kinda guitars do you own man? is it a Les Paul?? ( I fucking hate that question)

No. its not. I dont like Les Pauls.

(the guy makes a face like I just called his mother a whore)

Oh, well what do you play then?

well, I mostly own Jackson USAs.

what?

JACKSON USA, they are made in California.......you know....Charvel....Jackson......

Oh....... I never heard of them.....

what kind of "great guitar player" that plays rock has never even heard of jackson? come on man, what fuckin psychedelic mushroom you been sleepin under for the last 30 years?

I am serious about this, I run into this shit fairly often.

I will probably get flamed here, but I get so frustrated with guitarists that ignore any other brand but Gibson guitars and Marshall amps. you know people, there ARE other great brands out there.

Go ahead, tell your stories. Ever run into musicians that piss you off??

please discuss.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

yes, i get super-pissed off talking to close-minded metal guitarists. tampa was the death metal capital at one point, and all the serious older musicians are or were in established death metal band at some point. i, and my friends, are the guys that came up right after that initial death metal explosion, and played many a show with these guys. we all know each other and they are STILL denny's cooks, construction workers - but they all talk like they were in huge money making bands. it annoys the shit out of me. it was a scene, and a pretty small one, really. we all run into each other at shows, talk of the "old days" then the egos come out....ughhh - it pisses me off.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I ran into that frequently, but I sort of have a story that sort of contradicts all of this.

I use to bring my guitar fucking everywhere with me, I'd go to friends houses with it, fast food joints, whatever, wherever, whenever! One time I went to my cousins house and we decided to go on a walk.. So what did I do? I busted out the strat (my buddies mutt strat, but I had it for ages) and we were walking to a food place not too far away from her house. Once we get into the little town center that the food joint was in, some guy gave me this awkward look (I was use to getting strange looks but this was different). He walks up to me and goes "What kind of guitar is that". I go "Warmoth", he instantly says "Have you ever heard of Charvel and Jackson?" I was like... Lol. I own 3 USA's and 2 Jap Imports from the early 90's. He then proceeds to ask me about some guitarist who's name I still forget. He replaced Richie Blackmore. I think his name was Tommy Bolin or something? He played Charvel guitars. The name kind of slips me. Anyways, he goes onto tell me he knew him very well and produced one of his albums and was possibly his manager. He talked about this guy a lot and then gave me his card and told me to call him sometime, I'll look around and see if I still have it and see if the name checks out..

Huge cluster-fuck of a story, but it was surprisingly nice to be thrown off by someone questioning me about Jackson guitars!
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I hate the "vintage" idiots. You know, it has to have cryo-treated S-bent saddles and skinny frets and the right kind of capacitors and blah blah blah or it won't "sound right."

I don't like guys that can't handle talking about anything except using everyone else as a frame of reference, like "Oh man that's a real Clapton tone" or who chase some other guitar player's tone incessantly instead of developing their own.

Not really "hate" but, also guys who strive to play cover songs exactly like the record. And who always want to know if you can play this, or that. No, I don't know Stairway to Heaven. No, I don't have Jimmy Page's Les Paul wiring schematic memorized.

I mean, if you play covers and you do it to make money at it and it gets you in front of people and gets you pussy, and that's what you want, that is fine, but I'll be at home playing my own stuff with my own tone for nobody and having fun my own way. :dunno:
        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I don't want to get flame for what I'm about to say but my stories:

1-) Folks with very high expensive gear that look a you like if you were shit because you own cheap gear or non-boutique stuff. And too many times, these snobbish dudes can't barely pluck a chord right or do a simple pentatonic scale!

2-) Those crossed arms mullet dudes (ok not always with mullets ) in the back of the venue that are ice cold for the whole gig and analyzing everything you play. Then they come to you at the end of the evening, acting like a cool dude and start talking with you about where you missed one note or used the wrong chord and that you had not the exact sound/tone/fx during the cover tune of [insert the name of the guitar player you want here]. My general answer: how come I never see you on stage somewhere?
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yo Jazz, I hear you. I have to admit I chased George Lynch's tone for years....and one day I came up with some monster fucking tone, and It was like a revelation...........I found MY tone and stuck with it. My tone sounds like two grizzly bears fucking in a cave. I do. thats the best way I can describe it. I love my tone, it really balanced me as a player and made me grow. I love it. Fuck clapton and his tone. fuck van halen. Fuck vai. fuck santana. I became ME as a player and its fucking great.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              I hate the "vintage" idiots. You know, it has to have cryo-treated S-bent saddles and skinny frets and the right kind of capacitors and blah blah blah or it won't "sound right."

Not really "hate" but, also guys who strive to play cover songs exactly like the record. And who always want to know if you can play this, or that. No, I don't know Stairway to Heaven. No, I don't have Jimmy Page's Les Paul wiring schematic memorized.
              Good ones buddy! This thread is quite refreshing. It's fun to "vent" sometimes!
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post

2-) Those crossed arms mullet dudes (ok not always with mullets ) in the back of the venue that are ice cold for the whole gig and analyzing everything you play. Then they come to you at the end of the evening, acting like a cool dude and start talking with you about where you missed one note or used the wrong chord and that you had not the exact sound/tone/fx during the cover tune of [insert the name of the guitar player you want here]. My general answer: how come I never see you on stage somewhere?
                Oh now that is fucking good!!!!!!! I like!

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                  Oh now that is fucking good!!!!!!! I like!
                  Tonemonster... I could go on and on about this. When I had my RATM tribute band... I was playing my Charvel model 4 (3 killswitch!!! ) How many times did I heard about the fact I was not playing a strat! The few last gigs we did together, I brought my Kelly for the songs that were not requiring any killswitch tricks.
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Dude I work in a guitar store in a rich city and I see the SAME fucking dudes in the store EVERY single day, the same dudes. They all are pseudo vintage nuts that sit on the "mylespaul" forum and know everything there is to know about bridge placement and what tone caps were in what year, yet they can't play a fucking lick decently to save their life! Then the kicker is they bitch about current guitars and their price, but have no issue with over priced vintage instruments.
                    They all talk a big game about what they know and who they know and tell me the same stories they tell every time they come in like I don't have a memory and it gets so fuckin annoying and frustrating. These guys come in a gobble up whatever vintage guitar that comes in if it is decent or not pretending like it is going to change the lives of poor little kids!
                    I get the same treatment, they ask me how many strats or les pauls I have and I tell them proudly NONE, not that I wouldn't own them, since I get a ton of killer ones to play, but I play Washburns and Deans and Jackson. and they ask me what they are and I tell them I play mostly Dimebag washburns and then proceed to pick apart Dime, however none of them have any frame of reference they are just ignorant fuck sticks that don't know how it pisses me off. Anyhow they are all ignorant assholes who only want their egos stroked and I fuckin shoot them down every chance I get! hahaha

anyhow! FUCK'EM

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

I don't like guys that can't handle talking about anything except using everyone else as a frame of reference, like "Oh man that's a real Clapton tone" or who chase some other guitar player's tone incessantly instead of developing their own.

I mean, if you play covers and you do it to make money at it and it gets you in front of people and gets you pussy, and that's what you want, that is fine, but I'll be at home playing my own stuff with my own tone for nobody and having fun my own way. :dunno:
                    Last edited by SpiralArchitect; 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM. Reason: can't fuckin spell!

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                      Tonemonster... I could go on and on about this.:
                      Please do.

Comment

I can't say I hate these people because my buddy does this... but people who really don't want to play unless they're drinking, then, the more they drink, the longer and more out of place their solos have to be. I would jam with him and specifically tell him where the verses were and such, and he would agree... but after about 3 measures, start soloing. I still jam with him every so often, but don't take any of it seriously these days, lol.
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                          I can't say I hate these people because my buddy does this... but people who really don't want to play unless they're drinking, then, the more they drink, the longer and more out of place their solos have to be. I would jam with him and specifically tell him where the verses were and such, and he would agree... but after about 3 measures, start soloing. I still jam with him every so often, but don't take any of it seriously these days, lol.
                          OH man do I hear you there. I have played with guys like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect View Post
                            Dude I work in a guitar store in a rich city and I see the SAME fucking dudes in the store EVERY single day, the same dudes. They all are pseudo vintage nuts that sit on the "mylespaul" forum and know everything there is to know about bridge placement and what tone caps were in what year, yet they can't play a fucking lick decently to save their life! Then the kicker is they bitch about current guitars and their price, but have no issue with over priced vintage instruments.
                            They all talk a big game about what they know and who they know and tell me the same stories they tell every time they come in like I don't have a memory and it gets so fuckin annoying and frustrating. These guys come in a gobble up whatever vintage guitar that comes in if it is decent or not pretending like it is going to change the lives of poor little kids!
                            I get the same treatment, they ask me how many strats or les pauls I have and I tell them proudly NONE, not that I wouldn't own them, since I get a ton of killer ones to play, but I play Washburns and Deans and Jackson. and they ask me what they are and I tell them I play mostly Dimebag washburns and then proceed to pick apart Dime, however none of them have any frame of reference they are just ignorant fuck sticks that don't know how it pisses me off. Anyhow they are all ignorant assholes who only want their egos stroked and I fuckin shoot them down every chance I get! hahaha

anyhow! FUCK'EM
                            anyone who picks apart dime obviously has never listened to him.

Man that stuff is hilarious. I get a kick out of those snoby fools. I admit I am a bit of a jackson snob, I like them. they are quality instruments. I also like good quality amps. but I am not an ass like the guys you described.

I just get pissed at the closeminded idiots that think the whole fuckkin world revovles around strats or les pauls. I mean come on people, get a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                              what kinda guitars do you own man? is it a Les Paul?? ( I fucking hate that question)

No. its not. I dont like Les Pauls.

(the guy makes a face like I just called his mother a whore)
                              Damn, then i must have met the guy's brothers over the years
                              only these guys sometimes knew Fender as well

Guess their mother travels around

-

This is a story what pissed me off to the point of almost becoming uncivilised:

My -then- local musicshop's 'guitar dept. guy Paul' who sold me my first 2 guitars
                              Not your average GC zombie, the guy could play and was pretty educated on most stringed instruments and their hardware
                              recommended GHS Floyd Rose Strings to me
                              "No more balls to cut and less 'dangling' when at full dive", sounded plausible and practical to me (Noob FTW)
                              He almost gave me an "amazing discovery" kind of speech, ended in me taking 5 packs with me

So a few months and stringchanges later headed there again:

"Hey Paul, need some 009's again, the FR-ones"
                              -"Don't sell them anymore"
                              "Why not?"
                              -"Regular strings work just as well, those FR strings are useless"
                              "Well that isn't what you told me last time!"
                              -'What did I say?"
                              "[insert highlight's of me impersonating this Paul's impersonation of Mike Levey]"
                              -"Never said that"
                              "...'cuse me? Say again?!?"

Well, didn't go far into a "Did Not!/Did Too!" But it did convince me in knowing for sure this was a "businessman" -anything to make an extra buck-
                              trying to make me look like the liar

...Well I at least have to thank that bastard to start educating myself on gear related items
                              and take every bit of advice -even if it's free- as if they're trying to assrape my wallet
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X