X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
    Endrik, I think you are very pretty
    well, thanks I guess
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Twitch you're off by a few decades, check out Link Wray.
      Link Wray is a good one but I believe Muddy Waters had a drivey sound some years before that, he cranked his amps in the clubs and due the clipping he unintentionally got overdriven sounds. But it were the Brits who started using that intentionally, The Kings, Townshend etc.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
        GREAT country players are very cool and open minded. Chet Atkins played in every style. Brent Mason does too, and is absolutely incredible in playing jazz. Nothing to do with dumbass hicks who don't even know that a lot of the country licks came from black jazz music, no wonder that the ones who are actually good are jammin' western swing all the time.
        Shut up Endi. Chet Atkins did not play metal. period. I have not seen or heard him once play smoke on the water. I dont think he can play Ingwie riffs. And "great" country players arent great IMO cuz its all the same chicken pickin nonsense over and over. there isnt much character to the tone of the guitar with all the tones being clean. overdriven amps really provide alot of tonal expression and really provide the guitarist alot more creativity.

If anyone brings up Junior Brown I am going to take you out back and beat you with a used snow tire.

oh, and besides all that, country blows horse cock.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          I hate people who bitch about Page's playing.
          So what if Page was sloppy? It was fucking Blues-based Rock and Roll, not fucking Classical. Jesus why is everyone so hung-up on the fact that Page did not play with total perfection? "Well, I CARE about the music I'm playing and want it to sound the best it can". Page didn't? Page knew what worked, and what works for a song is all a song needs. If it NEEDS to be perfect, like Classical, then fine, but to say Blues-based rock needs to be perfect is retarded.
          He wore bell bottom pants with dragons embroidered in them Newc, I mean how the fuck can you respect someone that does that?

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
            Are you kidding me?

One simple question: What do you plan on doing about it besides running your cock holster? Exactly.
            China and Japan are destroying us financially, that have been doing it slowly for years. what would you like me to do about it? stand on the docks and single handedly prevent all the imports from coming into our country and jam the international phone lines so no more jobs can be sent overseas?

Comment

yeah, they really suck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UF0teCjTI
              I can play this shit with my ass hair

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Do other countries have anything similar to C&W? Are there Russian folk ballads about the crops dying and the cart having a broken wheel? Are there Mexican folk songs about that? What about Japan and China and Norway and Germany and Africa? Do they have sad songs about the daily troubles of life?

I'm sure they do, but do they fucking worship at the altar of misery with those songs like Americans do?
                "het Nederlandse Levenslied" (Tr: The Dutch life song - which in itself is wrong, since it's ripped off from the french chansons)

Take a boozed up bloated motherfucker that spent more days in bars than in school
                have him sing about coming home in an empty house because his annie left his sorry beergut (again)
                and how guilty he feels not treating her right

over 30 years in different versions

Now have that same asshole die from alcohol abuse and see half the country mourning and erecting statues in his honor

Now the reason we're not doing bad economicly may be because these are "bar" songs, and with Heineken being our best national product every melancholic drunk helps
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Sorry fellas I don't understand why that should piss you off so much. You, the player, you know your shit and are really the "expert" in your own gear and playing, not the wannabes in the audience. Save yourselves some frustrations and realize everyone and their brother in this world plays guitar in some sor of fashion, only a handfull are good like you and out playing live. So if one of the millions of uninformed want to talk shop just educate them or let it roll off your skin. YOU know what YOU like.

If you don't want to be compared to peers, don't play in a band that is strictly cover songs. Be original then the asshats won't have anything to relate your playing to I do agree with gettin YOUR tone even when playing cover tunes and even gettin enough of YOU within the song with embellishments as long as you dont distroy the structure of the song.

Life is way too complicate to have any stress from the uninformed idiots that walk the face of this earth
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                    Fuck yea. Eddie invented the Floyd Rose. Floyd was just along for the ride and too mooch royalties off of him. Eddie invented the internet too. Al Gore was full of shit on that one.
                    Don't forget about Jimi Hendrix inventing the wah pedal....
                    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                      And "great" country players arent great IMO cuz its all the same chicken pickin nonsense over and over. there isnt much character to the tone of the guitar with all the tones being clean.
                      And "great" shredders aren't great IMO cuz it's all the same sweeps and warm-up scales over and over. there isn't much character to the tone of the guitar with all the tones being like wet insects?

as far as players are oncerned, everyone has what they think is awesome. in regards to gear - well, guitarists are among the most closed-minded musicians out there. almost every guitar player can be dropped into a genre and they will rarely leave that genre.

the guys that only know gibson and marshall don't care to know abot anything else, because in their mind, that combo is perfection.

metal guys are always chasing a hotter tone, so look for gear that makes their sounds more aggressive, but really you CAN get just as agressive (if not more so) with an amp/guitar combo that ISN'T hi-gain.

people are just like that.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Frank Marino said that one of the things that holds back creativity is when guitar players choose gear based on different music style stereotypes. You play metal - you gotta have a certain hi-gain amp, you play blues - you gotta have a strat etc. which leads to everything sounding the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                          Link Wray is a good one but I believe Muddy Waters had a drivey sound some years before that, he cranked his amps in the clubs and due the clipping he unintentionally got overdriven sounds. But it were the Brits who started using that intentionally, The Kings, Townshend etc.
                          I was referring to intentional destruction of speaker cones, and not just over driving them.

Wray was noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars, as exemplified in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound, and also for having, "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock"[2].

Footnote ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Wray

And since so many of you guys dig Page - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxO8...eature=related

Just for Endrik - where it has been cited as an influence on The Kinks,
                          <Just sayin'>

Also cheers!
                          Last edited by Jayster; 03-13-2010, 11:02 AM.
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I was referring to intentional destruction of speaker cones, and not just over driving them.

Wray was noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars, as exemplified in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound, and also for having, "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock"[2].

Footnote ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Wray

And since so many of you guys dig Page - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxO8...eature=related

Just for Endrik - where it has been cited as an influence on The Kinks,
                            <Just sayin'>

Also cheers!
                            Uh, good old wikipedia. Some of it is partially right but invented power chords?
                            Link was important but Muddy had a greater impact. I have some of his early-mid 50's live recordings where he has some cool nasty overdrive going on. When he toured UK, all the dudes took notice, he was responsible for directly influencing the British electric blues sound and the whole British Invasion wave. Green, Taylor, Keef, Townshend, Clapton, Beck, Page etc. all copied him.

Comment

Gotta agree with the original Tonemonster about most popular country music. It appears that all of these "modern" country artists have forgotten that their horrible impersonation of 70's southern rock is

1) not country anyway
                              2) sucks
                              3) all sounds the same after 10 minutes
                              4) horribly unoriginal
                              My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                              Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot, Fuck the Beatles (except for George, and maybe just bitchslap Ringo)
                                My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                                Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X