Funky mileage reports on a Ford Bronco - Californians help especially

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky mileage reports on a Ford Bronco - Californians help especially

I'm looking at an 88 Ford Bronco, seller says 58k original miles. I did a quick free check on the VIN and it says that in 98 it had an odometer readout of 303k. I've seen the odometer and it says 58k, so what could be the deal?

The only thing I'm thinking is that the maybe property tax was based on miles in CA at that time? So the guy could have reported 300k miles so the tax/registration/licensing would be cheaper. That is how it used to work here in Utah, did CA do something similar? Its now age based.

Also, if anyone has unlimited CARFAX or anything like that, would you mind running a report for me?

Thanks

Didnt the odometer on those only go up to 99,999 and then rollover? If so I would doubt the owner's claims unless the things was totally mint.

Comment

i love bronco's, i had a new '94, and a new '96 the last year they made them.
      I'm no help on the subject, but i'd say buy it anyway, they're beasts.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Yeah, they only went to 99,999. I'm going to see it today, but my dad went to look at it yesterday and said it is in incredible condition.

Thinking now, I wonder how it would have got a 300k report anyway since it only goes to 99,999

Comment

303K in 10 years? That seems kind of absurd. I guess it's possible.

Could have had a gauge cluster swap done, but I believe that has to be noted on the title somehow (probably varies from state to state, though.)

At any rate, low miles doesn't really mean much on an un-restored car of that kind of age. What I mean is, it's 22 years old and even if things aren't "worn out" plenty of stuff will need replaced anyway, rubber rots, metal rusts, etc.

Comment

I wonder if maybe it had 30k at that time and it is a typo.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I went and looked at it - there is no way this thing has 300k miles.

Unfortunately, there is about 1000 bucks worth of work that needs to be done to it, so unless he is going to come down in price pretty good, my quest for the perfect Bronco continues!

Comment

Working...
              X