Colt M4 Carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt M4 Carbine

Ok, just curious if anyone knows off the top of their heads if there is a conversion kit to go from the M4 Carbine 223 to 308? I read that there was for one version of the AR-15 extended family but I haven't found much on the Colt M4..

223 is good and all for hunting humans but i kind of want to be able to put a deer down, or at least a really big dog (lol)
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Never heard of one for the M4.
    Hell, I've never heard of one for the AR either.
    It's not a simple swap.
    We're talking a new barrel, bolt/carrier assembly, gas tube, springs, pins, etc.
    The lower would most likely need to be replaced to.

Be cheaper just to buy a new rifle.
    FN FAL comes to mind.
    -Rick

Comment

Armalite makes the AR-10 which is in .308, probably better off with something like that than a conversion kit. They're expensive though, I'm thinking $3k or so.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Sure is a lotta talk about guns lately!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Sure is a lotta talk about guns lately!
          Yes, oh mighty militia leader Ron
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

No, there is no conversion kit from 5.56 to 7.62 for the M4.

Get an M14.

*EDIT: Shameless self promotion. Freshly painted as of this morning.

Last edited by DRM; 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              223 is good and all for hunting humans but i kind of want to be able to put a deer down, or at least a really big dog (lol)
              Shot placement is what counts, not the caliber.

And I would never say that .223 is good for dropping someone...unless of course we're talking about Counter Strike or Call of Duty physics.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                Ok, just curious if anyone knows off the top of their heads if there is a conversion kit to go from the M4 Carbine 223 to 308? I read that there was for one version of the AR-15 extended family but I haven't found much on the Colt M4.
                Think you'd need the whole barreled upper reciever. Conversion kits AFAIK are usually for calibers smaller than the original one the gun came in--at least it's easier and cheaper that way.

@DRM: Is that a US made M14? The Chinese ones I used to see at gun shows were purported to have soft recievers. A company would heat treat it for you for $100 to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                  Think you'd need the whole barreled upper reciever. Conversion kits AFAIK are usually for calibers smaller than the original one the gun came in--at least it's easier and cheaper that way.

@DRM: Is that a US made M14? The Chinese ones I used to see at gun shows were purported to have soft recievers. A company would heat treat it for you for $100 to solve the problem.
                  It's a Springfield SOCOM 16 w/ Sage EBR chassis. Made in the good 'ol US of A.

Comment

My uncle used an M14 in Vietnam and swore by it. As far as militaria goes I would love to have a one. That variation looks pretty cool. How light is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                      My uncle used an M14 in Vietnam and swore by it. As far as militaria goes I would love to have a one. That variation looks pretty cool. How light is it?
                      It's heavy as shit. A little over 10lbs unloaded, with a 20 round mag almost 12.

Comment

Hey the weight may not be favorable but the power of the .308? That to me makes up for the weight. I would love to have an M-14. In the way of militaria I would like to own a Garand, M-14, and 1911a1.

Comment

Hey you guys, the technical answer is that the 308 is wayy to long yo fit in the magwell of an AR15.

The best you can do in a semi auto AR15 is a 6.5 grendal or a 6.8 which the .gov folks seem to like better. Those are as heavy and flat shooting as you will get out of an AR lower.
                          Somewhere there is a single shot 50 cal upper, but ou are only getting one shot out of your lower at a time.
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                          X