I am so dissapointed in GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so dissapointed in GC

Well yesterday, me and my friend decided to go to GC to check out if they had any new stuff. At first I didn't notice anything, so I just played the Ibanez they had on the wall. Then, I noticed they had a SL2H, plain black, so I decide to try it out. While I'm walking back to the amp, I'm thinking "this thing is gonna play like a dream."

I was very wrong. It was set-up like a little $10 First Act guitar. The pickups were incredibly low, making the JB and the Jazz incredibly muddy. The strings were rusted beyond belief, and the fretboard had tons of dried sweat. I can't believe that the employees at my local GC can't take care of a $2100 correctly. I was ready to say it to their face that it needed a set-up. And if I had the money, I would've rescued the poor Soloist. Because I know I would've taken way more care of it.

So yea, just wanted to share that with you guys.
    I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
    ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
    Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
    Blackstar Soloist HT60
    Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
    Seymour Duncan 805

Welcome to guitar center.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

LoL. Sadly, this does not seem uncharacteristic for GC at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyApocalypse View Post
        Well yesterday, me and my friend decided to go to GC to check out if they had any new stuff. At first I didn't notice anything, so I just played the Ibanez they had on the wall. Then, I noticed they had a SL2H, plain black, so I decide to try it out. While I'm walking back to the amp, I'm thinking "this thing is gonna play like a dream."

I was very wrong. It was set-up like a little $10 First Act guitar. The pickups were incredibly low, making the JB and the Jazz incredibly muddy. The strings were rusted beyond belief, and the fretboard had tons of dried sweat. I can't believe that the employees at my local GC can't take care of a $2100 correctly. I was ready to say it to their face that it needed a set-up. And if I had the money, I would've rescued the poor Soloist. Because I know I would've taken way more care of it.

So yea, just wanted to share that with you guys.
        Did the price reflect the condition?

Comment

Ya about the only thing that impresses me about guitar center is their amount of inventory.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
            It was $2100, but it's on clearance for $1500. I thought I saw it once before, back in August of '09. It probably hasn't sold because of it's shitty set-up. :/
            I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
            ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
            Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
            Blackstar Soloist HT60
            Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
            Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
              He just said it was at Guitar Center. :ROTF:
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Sounds like every GC I've ever walked into.
                They let the kids play with the toys, but don't clean up after them.

I've yet to find a GC with one competent guitar tech either.
                That's why all the fiddles are fucked.
                If it didn't ship with a good setup, it will never get one at a GC.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyApocalypse View Post
                  And if I had the money, I would've rescued the poor Soloist. Because I know I would've taken way more care of it.
                  maybe that is the whole idea about poorly setup guitars in GC...
                  it makes the customer have pity with their instruments which results in better sales... who knows?

but though I've never been to a GC I read so many bad things about them, I hardly can believe anyone could still be dissapointed by them.
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

To be fair it does vary by store. The North Dallas store has about 12 custom shops. Up high or behind glass so they can't be man handled. The few I have played are setup pretty well. They could use some tweaks but they aren't like the rest of the guitars on the wall that everyone can touch.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Sam Ash is mostly no different as well. They had a used DXMG marked as a DKMG with close-out price of $569. As most of you know, these go new from GC without haggling for $449.

And the GC in Dayton has a used HM Strat going for $699. The highest these get on ebay is $600, and that's only recently. They were a $400 axe a few months ago, before the freaks started jacking up the prices.

Comment

You didn't notice "the strings were rusted beyond belief" when you looked at the guitar before picking it up to play it? :think: Just another day at Guitar Center, what did you expect?

Comment

I'm so disappointed in Frank Mir (for anyone who watched UFC 111)
                          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I don't think I would ever buy a high-end "new" guitar at GC, since it's been handled, jostled, nicked, dinged, and otherwise mistreated by many shoppers. I mostly go there to look for used guitars.

Frankly, I guess I've gotten so used to bad setups there that I don't blink twice. I've found that it's useful to bring a Floyd allen wrench with you, in order to put Jacksons in tune. Hard to properly evaluate a guitar that is completely out of tune. Hey, they should be paying me for that!

Comment

I bought my KVX10 new from Guitar Center, but I was the only one to touch it, becasue I worked at GC at the time!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X