Far from metal but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far from metal but...

...Peter Gabriel's new cd is phuckin phenominal!! It actually came out in January but I finally got it tonight. All cover songs, but he makes them his own. No guitars or drums. Unbelievable.

Just thought I would share in case there were other Gabriel fans here.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Anything Peter does is genius PERIOD.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Apparently you and I are the only ones who feel that way. One of my favorite bands is Gabriel era Genesis. Between them and Pink Floyd, the 70's really didn't need or deserve any more music.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Nah, there are some fans here

Genesis was my first favorite band, I was 5 I think

But I like Peter's solo stuff even more. Not only he is a great songwriter but also an incredible visionaire. His production is beyond anything else. His ability to pick people to work with is perfect. He chooses some of the most unique folks in the world, Tony Levin, Manu Katche, Youssou N'Dour etc. He's definitely in my TOP3 of my biggest musical influences.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I've only heard a couple of tunes from the new one. Bowie's Heroes & Simon's The Boy in the Bubble. He definitely reworked the songs completely, and these were both very slowed down & melancholy. I thought the slower arrangement worked better for Boy in the Bubble. Heroes was good, but I think Gabriel's voice would've been awesome with something closer to the original. JMO, of course. I need to check out the rest of it!

Comment

There is a version of Radiohead's Street Spirit. He took a depressing (but awesome) song and made it even more depressing. Not sure if I like that one yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
              Between them and Pink Floyd, the 70's really didn't need or deserve any more music.

"Can"

I have yet to get this CD, as I've always liked PG's work I'll have to get it ASAP.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Peter should cover The Who http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHLgxKUsEA

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                  There is a version of Radiohead's Street Spirit. He took a depressing (but awesome) song and made it even more depressing. Not sure if I like that one yet though.
                  I think it was Peter's intention to make people feel physically bad with that one. Interestingly Martin Grech who combines a lot of ideas from Peter and Radiohead often wants to create disturbance and really strong emotions. And sometimes he musically adds other dimension, metallic and industrial sounds to great even more creepier feelings... like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgxWVrLWfHc (the album version is a lot better though)

Comment

Working...
                  X