Urban Legend: Guitar Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Legend: Guitar Man

Claim: Guitarist finally masters difficult guitar part he heard on a record, only to learn later the recording had been made with more than one guitar.

*Warning: lots of popups * http://www.snopes.com/music/media/guitar.asp

Anybody else heard of these...or actually done this ?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Some of these are familiar. I've never inadvertently done it myself because my ears are really just for show and to keep my sunglasses on my face, they're not much good for working out tunes. I do remember giving up in frustration because I couldn't work out how to play something, not knowing that it was actually 2 or more guitars playing relatively simple things together to make a more complex sounding whole. It was the coolest thing when I finally realised that was what was going on.

With the band, I occasionally arrange parts that were originally played by 2 guitars. Nothing too complex because I'm not that good, but I think it sounds cool. And its not like in your link, because I know that they were multiple guitar parts from the start.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I thought this was gonna be about Tommy..........
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Also sounds like the story about Buckethead. He chanced upon a recording of Shawn Lane , where Lane had sequenced a ridiculous fast lick note by note and spliced together. Buckethead thought Lane actually played it apparently, and decided to learn it.
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I have a similar story. A friend and I once worked out the riff to "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden, assuming that it was two guitars. We had it sounding perfect. Years later, I'm reading Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, and lo and behold, Troy Stetina has it transcribed for ONE guitar and it's actually easier that way.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i did something similar myself with pull me under from dream theater...i thought i was playing it correctly until a firend who had been to a few clinics with john petrucci pointed out that i was playing part of the guitar part and part of the keyboard part at the same time...d'oh!!!!...lol...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Not quite off topic..... I've seen several tabs online where some retard shows the intro to Spirit of Radio by Rush as being tapped.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I used to play both Marty and Dave's harmony parts in Hangar 18 at the same time.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                  Also sounds like the story about Buckethead. He chanced upon a recording of Shawn Lane , where Lane had sequenced a ridiculous fast lick note by note and spliced together. Buckethead thought Lane actually played it apparently, and decided to learn it.
                  What recording was it? I have a hard time imagining something humanly playable that wsa beyond Shawn Lane.
                  I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                    What recording was it? I have a hard time imagining something humanly playable that wsa beyond Shawn Lane.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Not saying this to rag on anybody, merely out of curiosity! Shawn was just superhuman and buckethead is ridiculous as well.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X