(sigh) Yet another "Guitar Center Sucks" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (sigh) Yet another "Guitar Center Sucks" thread

I mentioned in another thread that I'm in the market for a hollow body electric, something I've never owned before. Something like a Gretsch or whatever with a Bigsby. No, I'm not turning mellow. I just want one.

Anyway, there was a nice Kona in the local GC last weekend. I looked at it, ran it across an amp to check the electronics, etc.... I told the guy, "I'll take it." He said, "Well, it won't be available until May 3rd."

They have a new policy. Everything they take in on trade is put on "police hold" for 30 days to make sure it's not stolen.

THEN WHY IN HELL IS IT OUT THERE ON THE FLOOR?!?!?!?!

Today I called about the other hollow bodies. The guy described a Gretsch that might be of interest to me. Fortunately, after the previous experience, I had the foresight to ask the magic question. "It'll be available May 8."

They don't make it obvious that the gear you're checking out can't be taken home that day. They wait until you want it and then expect you to put it on layaway. They have the "available" date in small letters on the tag and you don't know this unless they tell you.

Even the pawn shops have enough sense to not put something out on the floor until it can be bought.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I live in Sweden so we don't have GC here, but all I've heard about the chain is that they really suck.
    Is it THAt true?

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
      I live in Sweden so we don't have GC here, but all I've heard about the chain is that they really suck.
      Is it THAt true?
      It's kind of like this. They are typically out to screw you, so you need to be careful and know a good deal when you see it. It's usually a good place to check stuff out, but rarely good for actually purchasing.

I've spend a good deal of money at GC. No regrets.

But I've also got into fights over there sometime rediculous pricing on used stuff where they are totally off base.

Don't be afraid to walk if the deal sucks.

Comment

I just can't take the mind-numbing cacophony of horrific playing I'm subjected to before I'm even all the way through the front door.

That's why I go to local music stores with a "no touching the goddamn guitars without permission" policy.
        I only need one more guitar.

Comment

GC isn't bad if you're looking for entry-level stuff, but everything else in there is overpriced and sold by kids who don't know much.

I would think they would keep it in the back for 30 days, but maybe they don't have that much storage space. The policy is a good one. I used to work at Gamestop and we'd get stolen goods traded in about once a week. A couple days later the police or the victim would call. Since we take down the names and addresses of everyone who trades something in, it's easy to trace back to the thief.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
            Is it THAt true?
            It can be hit or miss. I have been to a bunch of different ones through out the country and have had some luck with some and there have been others I have turned around and walked right out of. I found one of them that is run by an old crew who have been around for a long ass time and they dont let every one and their mother touch the good stuff, I bought both of my USA Jacksons from them and they were "new" just not that years models and I got a screaming deal on both of them; not a scratch on them and they were setup w/new strings and the whole nine yards. They are the only GC that I will deal with but the biggest problem I have with them is that they are over a 1000 miles away from me

The closest one I have to me is about 50 miles away and I went in once and an 9 year old kid was playing a KE2 and was trying to play Master of puppets and he got up to change the amp he was playing on, and banged the shit out of the headstock and no one was paying the kid no mind; so I left right then and it told me everything I needed to know about that GC.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              But I've also got into fights over there sometime rediculous pricing on used stuff where they are totally off base.
              I don't even fight anymore. Under the current ownership, my understanding is that the salespeople have very little leeway to deal on the used gear. You just have to wait a few months until the guitar has been dinged to hell and they finally mark it down on clearance. Right now, there's a beautiful used CS Dinky at the Fairfax Va. GC with a snakeskin finish on body and neck, non-recessed Floyd, and binding over frets, which they have listed for $2000. It's a beautiful guitar, but there's no way it's going to go for that much money. The sad thing will be to watch it acquire dings and dents over the next few months. I just can't justify paying that much for a guitar that doesn't meet my exact needs.

It occasionally works the other way; I've snagged a used guitar at GC occasionally for way below what it was worth when the sales people didn't know what they had.

Comment

Working...
              X