Gfs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gfs?

HAs anybody heard of or bought anything from guitarfetish? Im curious to their quality and reliability. Ie pups, bodies, and necks, Stupid cheap prices. I figure it may not be the quality of a Warmoth or allparts or even duncan but for the price are the parts worth the money? Mostly curious about their pickups. We took in a used LP copy its plywood bolt on but it has the GFS alnico 2 pups in it. Sounds pretty decent. But the plywood body sounds weird., HC has a bunch of raving reviews. But i respect the opinions of the masses here more. So Anybody have experience with them?
    Thanks
    Gil

Totally worth it!

I havent bought a whole lot. Just two or three pickups, but they are awesome! The first one I bought was almost 3 yrs ago. They dont have it on their webpage anymore but think of it as same o/p as a JB but much better. Warmer, more lows, I love that pup. In fact, for sometime, I had it in the neck position to go along with a X2N and it wasn't too bad.

The second one, I bought just last month. Its their crunchy rails. Its very bright and loads of o/p. Not as much as the X2N. It doesnt have too much lows though. If you want more lows, get the power rails one. That's according to the guy who sells them.

As far as customer service, shipping time, packaging, pickup quality, etc. its excellent. On par with dimarzio or SD. however, I dont think you can get responses as quick as with GFS. Jay is great to deal with and responds very quickly to emails.
    Sam

Comment

I have a set of their single coils - well-built using decent materials, sound good (it's the 60's surf set) and a good value - although I would not place them up on a level with Seymour Duncans...would buy them again...
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Anybody have experience with the bodies and or necks from these guys?

Comment

Mama always said "if you can't say anything nice..."
          Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
            Mama always said "if you can't say anything nice..."
            Is this a reply to the quality of the pickups, or of the necks and bodies? That's a cute saying, but in reality it'd be nice to hear your experience, good or bad.

I have only heard good things about the pickups at least, so if you have a different experience I'dl like to know more. And if you're talking about the necks or bodies, I'd like to know that as well. Because they look pretty good and are certainly bargains ifthey are of even decent quality.

So spit it out, brother! What's the story?
            Last edited by lerxstcat; 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
              So spit it out, brother! What's the story?
              +1! I like to buy stuff at a good value, but if this stuff is crap, I want to know. Mainly about the bodies and necks.

With pickups, everyone has there favorites and what works with their rig, etc. People bash Duncan Designed's, but they work excellent for me.

Comment

I tried some pickups in 2005. They were total crap. Cheaply built, crummy workmanship, and sounded terrible. Maybe they've improved things in the past five years, but I'm not willing to find out for myself. YMMV
                Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

i bought one of the "loud mouth" humbuckers for my squire tele. it was like 30.00 or something and it is a WAY better sounding pick-up than the duncan designed that came in the guitar. i am actually considering buying some of their pick-ups for my usa hamer diablo (it came with duncan blackouts and i HATE them)....i haven't yet, but i am considering it.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

IMO the pickups are pretty good.
                    I used to buy their pups to play around with as their stupid cheap and I can play with different pickups to find what I like generally.
                    Then go to Dimarzio or Duncan once I have a good feel for things.

I had to stop, cause I was swapping more than I was playing.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I bought one neck pickup from them, it's pretty good.

Comment

I went even cheaper and bought the "Hex" humbucker set from their clearance page. They aren't even GFS pickups - I think they're made by Artec and also sold under the GuitarHead brand - but they sound great. The local J/C dealer I go to has been seeing a number of people bringing in guitars to have GFS pickups installed, although I don't have any idea which kind.
                        sigpic

Comment

K So i ordered the VEH pickup should be here on Wednesday. Hopefully i'll get a chance to put it in a guitar and see how it sounds. For the money it's worth the experiment. I may still order a frankenstien pup and compare them. So now maybe an ash strat body next. Just wish it wasnt routed for hsh.
                          Gil

Comment

^ On some forum a guy was saying great things about this pickup. Or was it in GW magazine? I forget. I'm pretty sure you're gonna be pleased with it.

however, I have mixed feelings about the crunchy rails I raved about in my first post. Its a great pickup, but very different from the JB and X2N. Its very bright and overdrives an amp very well. However, since it lacks the bass of both the JB and X2N, all patches I create on the AXE sound very different. it not even close to the bass of the latter two pups. So, if anyone's got a Mahogany guitar, dropped to B or something and feel the bass is too much, this is the pup to use. the buyer who plugged into the blackstar HT-5, was so happy with the overdriven tone that he paid my full asking price.
                            Sam

Comment

I've got a Dream 180 in my SLSMG (neck) and it's awesome. Nice glassy clean tone, exactly what I wanted.
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X