Gfs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    ^ On some forum a guy was saying great things about this pickup. Or was it in GW magazine? I forget. I'm pretty sure you're gonna be pleased with it.

however, I have mixed feelings about the crunchy rails I raved about in my first post. Its a great pickup, but very different from the JB and X2N. Its very bright and overdrives an amp very well. However, since it lacks the bass of both the JB and X2N, all patches I create on the AXE sound very different. it not even close to the bass of the latter two pups. So, if anyone's got a Mahogany guitar, dropped to B or something and feel the bass is too much, this is the pup to use. the buyer who plugged into the blackstar HT-5, was so happy with the overdriven tone that he paid my full asking price.
    Did ya try swapping the volume pot for a 250K instead of the 500k? Works for a shrill JB.
    Gil
    Thanks for the replies guys. Guess noone has any experience with the bodies and necks. So i may have to be a guinea pig and give one a shot.

Comment

I put their Power Rails PU's into a Peavey HP special. The neck sounded amazing, the bridge was just ok. I also have one of their Xaviere guitars. It's a tele thinline. it's cheap, but sounds really good!

Comment

Dunno about their pickups, but I got 10 String Swing wall hangers from them for $10 each. Cheapest I'd found. Also picked up an oboard Comp/Boost thing, but haven't put it in anything yet
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had a CA Red Sq Strat a few years back I bought new just to mod the hell out of on the cheap. Stock pickups were OK but planned on changing them out anyway. I used GFS 70's Over-wound Grey Bottom singles. I really didn't expect too much for the price. They were really good in my opinion. And I do not really care much for single coils to begin with.

Haven't tried their buckers but wouldn't be too hesitant to do so based on my past experiences.

Bought a Fast Loader pkg from them not too long after. It's a Speed Loader knock-off that uses regular/common strings. Again, didn't expect too much for the price. It was actually better quality than expected. Not great but decent. Had it in a Jackson for a while. Gigged it, used it for quite a bit and removed it before I sold the guitar. I still have it. Keeping it as a spare.

Ordered some other miscellaneous stuff here and there too. All purchases have been good for me. But I have heard some comments here and there otherwise from those not so satisfied.
          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Well i bought a body from GFS and altho it was fairly cheap. (like 75 bucks with shipping) its not bad. Ash body grain doesnt match well and its three pieces one darker than the others.
            But its a nice weight and the finish is well done. Its cleared and im gonna paint it anyway so im not worried about the mis-matched colors. just wish it was a hss rout instead of a hsh. I may fill the neck pup cavity tho and make it an hss. with no guard. Not sure yet tho. I picked up a Strat M/M neck with a real nice birdseye at the guitar show. S. i have almost everything i need. Just deciding on a bridge type. (floyd or vintage strat) then commense with the new project. But its all on hold for a bit while i finish moving then gettin settled. So hopefully it'll be under way by July.
            Ill post picks when i get it unpacked and progessed.
            Gil

Comment

I finally got around to putting one of the GFS pickups into a guitar. I picked up a Epi les paul Pro/fx In cherry burst the other day. And wanted a different pups in it. So i threw a Full shred in the bridge and the VEH in the neck. Sounds great and surprisi0gly the Fullshred sounds really good split. The VEh sounds warm like 59 and bright like a Jazz. Seems to be a really smooth sounding well rounded neck pickup.
              Gil

Comment

I still can't say enough about the Dream 180. So good.
                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
                  I tried some pickups in 2005. They were total crap. Cheaply built, crummy workmanship, and sounded terrible. Maybe they've improved things in the past five years, but I'm not willing to find out for myself. YMMV
                  Sorry you had a bad experience; which models did you get? If you bought something from their clearance section they might not have even been GFS pickups, they sell other brands on the cheap in that section. Also different models sound good in different woods, just like the name brands. Finally, if you install them incorrectly any pickup can sound bad. If you misread the color codes you can install humbuckers as single-coils and that wouldn't sound good if you were looking for a humbucking sound. So if you know specifically what you bought and what you put them in that might illuminate the problem.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X