The horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The horror

It's like a floyd rose slaughterhouse up in here!
    I only need one more guitar.

Comment

I guess someone got their "brass tone placeboes" in the mail!

I need to get one of those blocks for one of my Floyds. That or pickups...
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Did you know....the stock floyd rose blocks are brass, just chrome plated? I wonder why they chrome plated them.

I found out something else somewhat noteworthy last night...I was watching Adam's install video and he mentions you can toss the plate that goes between the block and the spring plate. He calls it a shim. I bet you can fit a 37mm block in here with no issues by doing that. When I was measuring, I seem to remember only needing another 1mm or so...but don't hold me to that.

The 32mm replacements are still close to double the mass of the original. (5.9oz vs 3.4oz) They cause absolutely zero fitment or travel issues, so...can't hurt.
        Last edited by Forrest; 05-01-2010, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Forrest,
          are your floyds free range or steroid ridden?
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
            Forrest,
            are your floyds free range or steroid ridden?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	funnycat270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2444847

Man, don't expect me to get the jokes I came up with at 2 in the morning.

The answer is: you can't tell once they're chopped up into little pieces.
            Last edited by Forrest; 04-29-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

covering up the truth huh? we see how your treating your floyds-lol

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                covering up the truth huh? we see how your treating your floyds-lol
                Just don't send those Food, Inc. documentary people after me!

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                  I was watching Adam's install video and he mentions you can toss the plate that goes between the block and the spring plate. He calls it a shim. I bet you can fit a 37mm block in here with no issues by doing that. When I was measuring, I seem to remember only needing another 1mm or so...but don't hold me to that.
                  I've been thinking about upgrading too for a while now...
                  do you think a 37mm block would still allow pull ups on the floyd?
                  wouldn't the trem route plate come into it's way then?
                  I know floyds aren't made to be pulled up in the first place, but anyway...
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                    Just don't send those Food, Inc. documentary people after me!
                    I'd never rat you out, but it's the people on this board you have to watch out for, it's a nest of scheming buzzards-lol

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
                      I've been thinking about upgrading too for a while now...
                      do you think a 37mm block would still allow pull ups on the floyd?
                      wouldn't the trem route plate come into it's way then?
                      I know floyds aren't made to be pulled up in the first place, but anyway...
                      They're not made to be pulled up? Says who??

Whether or not you're going to have fitment problems depends on your specific guitar's tremelo route. Post a picture and I'll give you my totally unqualified eyeball opinion. I don't think I was ever in danger of losing much upward travel with a 37 in any of my guitars, but I didn't want shit poking out of the back. I'm ok wtih leaving the cover off as long as nothing sticks up above the cover cavity. I think by removing that shim, the 37 block and springs would have been low enough...but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

well, at least I hate it when people always wiggle around with the trem instead of using a frickin vibrato...
                        as long as you don't want to pull up lets say an harmonic on an empty string at least I prefer using a normal bend instead of the trem.
                        but sure I do pull up as well, that's why I asked. just not nearly as often as pushing down.

I'd be a bit afraid of leaving the cover off, I guess it's there for a reason. don't want to get stuck with the knob of my pants in the springs or something...
                        I fear I could get out of tune easily when getting in touch with the trem block accidently.

I'll try to get my hands on a camera this weekend. wanted to take a couple of shots anyway...

the difference in mass between 32 and 37mm should be quite a bit anyway... I'd be curious to check this out.
                        but not like $50 curious...
                        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Floyds absolutely were made to be pulled up - same thing with the original Strat Trems. I hate guitars set up with the trem pulled tight against the body.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
                            I'd be a bit afraid of leaving the cover off, I guess it's there for a reason. don't want to get stuck with the knob of my pants in the springs or something...
                            I fear I could get out of tune easily when getting in touch with the trem block accidently.

the difference in mass between 32 and 37mm should be quite a bit anyway... I'd be curious to check this out.
                            but not like $50 curious...
                            I'm guessing the 37mm weighs 1oz more than the 32mm. So not as big a difference between the 32 and 37 as between the 32 and the stocker.

There are some on ebay that are 25$ for any size.

I don't think there's a risk leaving the plate off as long as nothing's poking out of the cavity. But if you want to be safe, just get the 32mm replacement. It shouldn't have any issues unless your stock routing was tight already.

Comment

Pretty funny, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X