Your opinion please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
    Lerx, Roody, and Jack all hit the nail on the head. I never agreed to do the show, we don't rehearse enough, and my family comes first on EVERYTHING. I don't care about paying gigs, this wasn't one, if it was I would have been there no matter what. I'm not going to cost my buds money, that IS wrong. Four songs isn't enough, we need to write more, practice more than once a week, and pick up some covers if need be. There is no one-on-one time at all. When we do practice we have to put up with our drummer constantly dicking around to the point we can't hear. Most of the gigs they want to play are festival types, so all we need is an hour or so worth of tunes. It is fun to me, and I don't want to quit, but there have to be some changes, esp. with the bookings. I'd like to have a couple weeks notice if possible, not this "Hey man can you make it Saturday? I got us a gig!" on Tuesday. I guess what I'm trying to say is we need to get our act together so we don't look like half crocked jackasses trying to act like a band with no talent.
    BTW- thanks for the replies, each one is valued to me.
    Sounds like you've got your head on straight, brother! I really like Jack's idea where they all post their personal schedules, if you guys did that your bassist would know in advance you had your kid's birthday and there'd be no conflict in the first place.

At the next rehearsal you should bring up the fact that if the basist wants to even be able to book short notice gigs, he has to be able to confirm that bandmembers' schedules are open or that you are willing and able to adjust - and most of all, that you need an adequate setlist. You could sit down and brainstorm some songs that all of you already feel you know, and then run through them for arrangements' sakes and to make sure you all know them in the same keys. These songs can go on the back buirner as far as your serious intentions, but if you want to play some gigs you'll havd an adequate setlist to draw on.

Nothing sucks worse than playing your 4 songs, people digging it and wanting to hear more, and you don't HAVE any more! Total embarrassment! And tell the drummer if he can't STFU, they make machines for that now!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

heh, I did get it wrong
      The answer is simple, find folks who have more respect for music, who are willing to work and more down to earth.
      Ask your current members if they think that hiring a 3rd grade student for NASA's aerodynamics team is a good idea.
      It's not usual when a band who does originals doesn't play any gigs for at least a year at start. The chemistry, tightness, pocket etc. takes time to develop, each player has it's own rhythmic placement and quarter note feel, players have to know each other by playing together a lot so that their individual styles would eventually fit within the band. Without it you just have a group of musicians on stage and not a band.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I figured you guys would understand. Thanks for your input. If these guys call me back I'll have the discussions mentioned here, the scheduling board is the perfect idea. I think he's going to hate it for Memorial day weekend though, there are 2 more birthdays coming, and I will not miss those either (oldest son, AND the wife.) Thanks again guys, and wish me luck.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
        X