Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Metal?

Anybody listening to some good stuff?

I'm trying to keep away from the cookie monster vocals and want some good guitar work.

So far, I'm ok with

Protest the Hero
    Red Fang
    Alestorm

Anything that can be added to the list?
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Yes! Alestorm! True Scottish Pirate Metal! Love it! Yargh! Pieces of eight!

Did you get the new John 5? That's some killer shredding right there. That guy is nuts.

Old band, recent release - Overkill - Ironbound
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

you should give Falconer a try.
      pretty underrated swedish metal band I enjoy very much.
      I love their singer and they do have a really unique way of riffing and some nice soloing, especially on their latest albums.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

if you're not afraid of glorious stuff, this could be something you like.

(the sound quality in both links is not too awesome, but it should give you an idea about the whole thing...)
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I'm not familiar with the bands you listed, the style you're after or how heavy you want them, but I can toss out some bands that I've been enjoying lately with clean vox & good guitar. They are not all that new though.

Communic, Wolverine, Coheed & Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Halestorm, Cellador, Evergrey, Spiritual Beggars, Prototype, Kamelot, Anarion, Allen/Lande, Ark, Symphony X, Firewind, Beautiful Sin, Brainstorm, Cage, Daysend, Eyefear, Green Carnation, Therion
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Keep it up.
          I like Firewind and think Gus' work with Ozzy will bring them more exposure.

My only hopes are for stuff I haven't heard of. I'm willing to listen to anything to see if it hits me.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Instrumental, but...Powerglove.
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Holy shit don't get the new Pro-Pain. Terrible. Downloaded it this weekend and its crap - bad production (all twangy bass), really bad songs. Honestly I haven'y bought and Pro-Pain since their s/t in 98 or so, and this was just not good.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I've really been into Mastodon recently...also check out Daath--you may not like the vox, but the guitar work is great

Comment

+1 for Daath

If you're into guitar, you should check out Animals As Leaders. That guy can shred!

You could also check out Periphery, who have some cool tech-metal stuff, although I can't stand the vocals.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Airbourne!
                    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
                      Airbourne!
                      Not really metal, but +1

Comment

The new Nevermore kicks much ass. Loomis even goes all Dave Gilmour in one of the solos.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I know you said you're trying to avoid cookie monster vocals, but as others have said; Daath is the shit. The guitarists from Daath also did an instrumental album recently called Avalanche of Worms, under the name "Levi/Werstler". It's definitely worth a listen.

Not sure if you're down with more progressive metal but as somebody else said; Animals as Leaders are off the hook. They're the future of "shred" in my opinion. Cynic is a classic progressive metal band, who recently reunited after being on hiatus for like 15 years, and they're putting out some pretty killer music now. Opeth aren't exactly new, but they are a must hear band in my opinion. They do some cookie monster vocals, but a lot of their stuff is "clean" and done quite well.

The new Nevermore CD kills as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X