No announcement yet.

When BP spills coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, nuking at 5000 ft underwater probably has been tested either. The pressure down there is 50,000 lbs/sq. in. that sort of pressure is not seen on the surface where usually nukes are tested. Also, who can say for sure nuking down there is not going to cause a bigger disaster and let all the millions of barrels of oil down there up to the surface all at once?
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      Time would pass while that was happening, relations with Britain would get VERY tense, and BP would probably collapse from having that big a chunk taken out of it. Meaning no reparations from BP to those who've been harmed.
      Now, I know you've heard this plenty of times before, but I'll say it anyway, relations wouldn't get tense at all, we British couldn't give a flying fuck about BP, other than the fact that many British pensioners rely on it for pension funds. It's not a British nationally owned company, it's a multinational PLC, which is why it isn't even called British Petroleum any more. Someone should have stood up and said to Obama, "Erm, excuse me, just who the fuck is this British Petroleum you keep banging on about? And while you are at it, go and get me a Marathon bar" (only Snoogans is old enough to understand that one).
      Rather than spouting off and giving the markets a wobble, making even BP's potential collapse seem to be not as far-fetched as before, he should STFU and start asking,
      "Right, this kind of drilling isn't allowed off the coast of Britain and Europe, namely because of the risks of this sort of thing, who the fuck gave them permission to have a punt at it here? Oh, we did? Ah........"

I predict some boggle eyed twat will emerge from a lab somewhere very shortly with some kind of nanotechnology that will scoff all that oil slick up. It'll be deployed, get the place spotless........and then start eating anything synthetic, plastic, anything made with oil. Then we really will be fucked.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
        well, nuking at 5000 ft underwater probably has been tested either. The pressure down there is 50,000 lbs/sq. in. that sort of pressure is not seen on the surface where usually nukes are tested. Also, who can say for sure nuking down there is not going to cause a bigger disaster and let all the millions of barrels of oil down there up to the surface all at once?
        If anything the pressure down that deep will help confine the effects to the desired purpose - fusing some of that rock into glass to stop the flow. As for releasing all the oil, the seafloor is 5,000 feet down, but the oil is 18,000 feet down - that's another 2-1/2 miles of bedrock. We don't need to go all the way down to the oil pool, we just need to fuse some rock together relatively near to the surface. Even a nuke is not gonna bust open 2-1/2 miles of bedrock.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

hey, if you got the means, why not?

Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
            If anything the pressure down that deep will help confine the effects to the desired purpose - fusing some of that rock into glass to stop the flow. As for releasing all the oil, the seafloor is 5,000 feet down, but the oil is 18,000 feet down - that's another 2-1/2 miles of bedrock. We don't need to go all the way down to the oil pool, we just need to fuse some rock together relatively near to the surface. Even a nuke is not gonna bust open 2-1/2 miles of bedrock.
            I am glad you are not in charge of the clean-up, Rich!

BP Exec meeting:

Tony H: "Well, Plans A - F have failed, what is our next option?" :think:

(cut to Rich, in a white lab coat, frizzy hair, wild eyes)

Rich: "Nuke it from the surface; it's the only way to be sure!!"

World Media:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              I am glad you are not in charge of the clean-up, Rich!

BP Exec meeting:

Tony H: "Well, Plans A - F have failed, what is our next option?" :think:

(cut to Rich, in a white lab coat, frizzy hair, wild eyes)

Rich: "Nuke it from the surface; it's the only way to be sure!!"

World Media:

Well, Right now I am staying about 15 miles to the east of where they exploded 2 nukes underground in the 60s in order to create a salt dome storage structure for part of the strategic oil reserve. I understand it felt kind of like an undulating earthquake, but it didn't hurt anybody.

People on the coast, well my Facebook friends greet the day by telling friends whether the morning breeze smells like a truck stop or an engine room of a ship, or whether it smell like a clean sea breeze. Used to always be the latter before April 20.

We have lots of sharks swimming in shallow water close to the shore now, because they are trapped in these waters by the oil. The oxygen is gone in much of the Gulf due to the oil. Sea life is dying off massively, as are birds onshore in Louisiana marshlands especially. Mississippi beaches have been somewhat spared by currents until recently, but we're starting to get oil on our islands and beaches now.

Seriously as hell, a nuclear device -planted in that wellhead would be by far the lesser of two evils at this point. But it's politically unpalatable, so they'll keep screwing around until the relief wells don't work either.

When the Loop Current starts washing up oil In Miami, then at points all up the Eastern Seaboard, maybe then the country will decide not to be squeamish about using a small nuclear device a mile down and 50 miles off the coast, since everything far and wide will already be dead anyway.

No, the nuke won't rupture 2-1/2 miles of bedrock.
              No, the radiation won't spread throughout the Gulf.
              No, the nuke won't set the oil on fire - no oxygen, no fire.

The sad fact is that it's probably the best thing to do now, and I bet that eventually they will have to try it when everything else fails.
              Last edited by lerxstcat; 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

spill baby spill. what a fukkin' disaster. sordid, hopeless, and clueless.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                X