usa to uk, humidity change = warpage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usa to uk, humidity change = warpage?

may be getting a charvel sent over from the states soon, its a new san dimas.. unfinished neck?
    anybody ever had this done? or maybe vice versa?
    do i have to worry about possible warping of the neck?

They're not unfinished, they are finished with Tru Oil.

I would think that so long as you let it get gradually accustomed to the new environment it will be OK. It also depends on where in the US it's from... Plenty of places in the USA are almost as soggy as the UK.

Comment

i believe it is coming from NJ USA?
      originally i wanted a 2005 pointy but im having a real hard time finding one...so ive given up and decided to just get a damn promod!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. As said before the maple necks are oiled which stabilizes the neck from humidity changes. And if it warps out I'm pretty sure it would get fixed under warranty.

However I wouldn't be suprised if you need slight fret end filing when the wood slightly shrinks during the winter. When I got my soloist(painted neck) it was fine in the summer

Comment

No problems at all - back when I was in the UK, I had many guitars shipped to me from different parts of the USA including California. I never had a single issue with necks warping, frets lifting etc. In fact, I never had a single 'mechanical' issue at all. I did however want to kill Parcelforce a few times, but that's just because I'm impatient, rather than because they destroyed something....
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it either. They may need a major setup after they settle - at least that was the case for mine. Also, make sure to oil the fretboard. The fretboard on my first soloist cracked here doing the dry winter.

Comment

New Jersey gets plenty humid in the summer. I wouldn't worry about it.
              Scott

Comment

thanks guys
                also..another quickie
                ive had 1 or 2 guitars before from the states, and im sure once i got charged some rediculous fee (about £40) just to pick it up from the collection office
                cant remember what the fee was for but i argued and argued to try and not pay it, but they had none of it so i coughed up the cash
                anybody else had this? or know of anyway way to avoid it, or what it is even in the first place?
                cheers

Comment

the US is a huge country, it has places with high humidity and places with no humidity. I wouldnt worry about it. There is a truss rod on these guitars for a reason
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Parcelforce normally send you a letter with a final bill that covers import duty, VAT and their fee for sending the letter to you but £40 just for collecting it is taking the piss.
                    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

That's the name of your shipping service??? I thought Parcelforce was Herman Li's side project!

Comment

"We de-river, innit?"

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                          That's the name of your shipping service??? I thought Parcelforce was Herman Li's side project!
                          lol, good one.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            I did however want to kill Parcelforce a few times
                            You mean Parcelfarce.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                            X