Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jam website needs players (Several people can play in one game!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jam website needs players (Several people can play in one game!)

Hello guys just gotta spam you with my website a sec, basically im something of a nerd and I'm trying to get a jamming website up. We've got a bunch of backing tracks on there which you can create a game over, then several people can join your game and play their bits in over pre-allocated slots. Once everyone records their bit, the web site mixes everyones take over the backing then publishes the finished game on teh front page for people to listen, vote, spam you with comments etc.

At the moment its not public since we have no legal protection, no trademarks and some bugs to iron out still, but we're looking to invite some more people on to play stuff in and maybe upload some backings of their own! Nothing too serious, were just a couple of guys not a software company or anything. We just need some people to come on and play their guitars in and drop us a comment on the site somewhere if they notice any glitches.

Post on here if youre interested, ill PM you a link. The only condition is you MUST KEEP THE URL TO YOURSELF. We dont have any disclaimers or anything written up yet, so if someone uploads a metallica backing track and loads of people come on the site were likely to get fcked :P

Anyone interested?

Very cool idea! I wonder how delay and packet loss issues wil affect the experience...

Comment

its not actually live, once you have taken a slot on teh site you can record it in whenever you want, the result with everyones take on doesnt appear until everyone has submitted their takes; so delay and packet loss on the connection isnt an issue.
      weve got a system in place the compensates for the fact that most people dont have a low latency recording setup as well, interested?

Comment

Ah, I see. I guess I misunderstood "jam". Could be fun to see if it's possible to do real-time jam, though, like the World Opera Project. I'll think about it.

Comment

hmm i donot think an actual jam would be possible since the internet introduces lag,, i expect what the world opera project does is somethign where its not quiiiite live to the listeners, a few seconds behind maybe, and the performers cant hear each other. that way youd be able to synch all the different parts up for the end listener. thats somoething else weve looked into but just keeping it simple for now.
          ill pm you the link if thats ok?

Comment

Sure, go ahead. The World Opera Project is exactly about musicians playing together over a network, so it would have the same problems. Anyways, the question is really how much delay and jitter musicians can tolerate. There do exist some low-delay audio codecs that were introduced with the motivation of, among others things, facilitating musicians playing together over a network. The Fraunhofer Ultra-Low Delay Codec is an example of this.

Comment

How was Dana Carter (Garth) able to drum along with U2 on their simulcast a few years back? I didn't notice any bad lag on that?

Then again it was U2, they had the money for their own satellite and private network
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                How was Dana Carter (Garth) able to drum along with U2 on their simulcast a few years back? I didn't notice any bad lag on that?

Then again it was U2, they had the money for their own satellite and private network
                See, that's also the problem with the World Opera Project. They've got a lot of dedicated connections and such that musicians wanting to jam together over the internet would never have.

Comment

On the other hand, if you can't make it work with dedicated lines, it'll never work over the internet...

Comment

Interested on popping on there newc? oh go on :P

Oh yeah the reason we didnt look into live jamming at first is that most people we discussed the concept with liked the idea of being able to come back to it. After all, its not going to be busy at first, and the "live" setup means that going on the site will suck unless theres at least a few other people online at that moment that can jam in your style (unlikely when its not busy at the start)
                    Last edited by Pez; 06-20-2010, 03:43 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Is it considered poor form to post links on here? I hope not!!! Before any mods close this i should like to justify it by just saying because of the nature of this site, this is like posting a link to a youtube video:

Please dont spam the url all over the place, we are trying to keep this under fairly tight wraps. Is anyone interested in coming on to jam? We would really like some more people to come on and jam with us

Comment

Working...
                      X