Would like your thoughts on Acer Aspire netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like your thoughts on Acer Aspire netbook

Hello fellow JCFers! I notice Target (!) is advertising an Acer Aspire One for $199! This week only.

10.1" LED screen, 93% keyboard, N450, 160G HD, 1G RAM, Windows 7 Starter, webcam, really long battery life.
    I've looked at a few reviews online (and a couple on Youtube) and then went down to Target to look at one. Man, it is tiny! At least smaller than what I'm used to.

I've never had a laptop, so I wondering if this would be cool to have, so what are your opinions? I've heard this type of machine is good for students. Well, I'm no student...I generally use a PC to surf, email, read news, do JCF and a couple other boards. I don't program, record music, play games, or watch movies (I have been getting into Adam 12 on hulu though!)
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Click image for larger version

Name:	new-slim-acer-aspire-one-leaked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2444940

Here's a good review: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...-one-532h.aspx
    Last edited by RacerX; 07-19-2010, 09:44 PM. Reason: added review link

Comment

I haven't heard many positive comments about Acers over the past couple of years, but if the price is right and you really only need it to run a web browser, go for it. That's what they're made for.
      sigpic

Comment

i use an aspire 4730Z - it's not a mini one though!!! i like it a lot. does everything i need it to. i have had just over a year now and no problems....unlike my dell.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ive sold a few of these. IMO, they are the best of the netbooks with exception of the ASUS that has the Nvidia 9300M in it (cant remember the model #)

most comfortable. the MSi Wind comes close.

You can't really go wrong. For surfing the web any netbook will do. I find the Acer Aspire Ones to be comfortable and quick if you keep 'em clean

And you can trust me, I sell these things.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

They're all over it at Fatwallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1017109/

Comment

The differences between netbooks is really comfort and battery life. The aspire excels in both of these catagories. Unless you are shelling out cash for a netbook with a dedicated graphics chip, the performance is very similar. for $199 that is a killer deal.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I would say the answer you seek lies in the definition of what you want to use it for.

- If you want it for kicking around a Starf*cks or other wi-fi enabled place, then this might work for you.

- If you're looking to replace your desktop, move along little fella, these are not powerful enough - nor have enough storage - to run many applications.

Now, there is the issue of the size... Yes, they are tiny. But, if you're just jumping around on the web, hunt and peck typing skills and the mouse pad are all you really need. If you need to do a lot of typing, you might be better off with a full-sized laptop. If you use the current Yahoo! e-mail... The resolution size of your screen is not compatable with the site, you'll be using the classic e-mail site.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

I recently got a netbook at work, more specifically an MSI Wind. It's great for traveling when you just need to write some emails, surf the web, talk over skype, give presentations, etc., which is exaftly what I bought it for. But the keyboard is too uncomfortable and the screen is too small to do any kind big work such as writing longer texts (I don't know if correcting other people's grammar and spelling errors on JCF fall in this category, though). It's nice that you can be online anywhere, though, sitting in the garden, in your couch, or even in bed! I don't have any experience with this specific netbook, so I can't offer you any advice there.

Comment

I appreciate all your replies, guys. I went to the local Target last night after work and - just as I expected - sold out. The counter dude made noises like he had been calling all over to other stores also with no luck. Oh well, not like I needed it!

Comment

I'm loving my ipad, except the mail app doesn't play nicely with my ISP's pop servers unless I'm connected directly to my home router. It's great being able to watch movies or concerts whilst in the bog contemplating the meaning of life.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have an older Acer Aspire One (typing on it right now) and it is great. It sits quietly in its case most of the time, but whenever i need a portable, full-fledged pc that i can literally toss in my backpack, it is irreplaceable. For that money, nothing can beat it. Not the most comfortable keyboard and screen and the battery life isn't great (actually my battery is a couple of years old by now), but the amazing portability and convenience, and even the piece of mind compared to a $$$$ laptop truly make a huge difference. Carry a cheap mouse with it and you are set.

3D games aside, it can do anything a modern full-size pc can do, just slower. I have recorded a few guitar tracks and even edited video on mine. You can connect it to almost any tft tv available wherever you go, and if you have a semi-permanent second office or other cozy spot where you will be taking it, you can always get a used 17'' monitor for next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pointy View Post
                          and if you have a semi-permanent second office or other cozy spot where you will be taking it, you can always get a used 17'' monitor for next to nothing.
                          Good point, I just replaced my 17" with a 25" (!) so the old one is literally just hanging around. Somebody asked me if I asked the Target guy for a rain check - I didn't even think about it but I don't know if that would apply. Maybe I'll call later.

Comment

I used an Acer Aspire One daily for 5 months. They're solid little machines. Mine held up and i'm incredibly rough on my technology. I used it for a writing class and the keyboard was actually okay once I got used to it. For basic web use and word processing, you can't really go wrong. Just don't expect to use photoshop or play newer games with it.

I consolidated my 17" laptop/10.1" netbook setup up I used and now just use a MacBook Pro. It's a fantastic machine. Runs cool and is dead silent.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                            X