Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York City hotel/lodging at a decent price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City hotel/lodging at a decent price?

Never been to New York City and I'm thinking going there for a few days.

Anyone would know a decently priced hotel/lodging/accommodation for a family of 5. I don't mind for only 2 double beds as I can bring a small inflatable mattress for my younger one.

I haven't made any offcial budget yet but, doing some quick searches I was surprised at the price of some hotel rooms in the Big Apple. If you've been there or know some good address please share.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

You may want to check into some hostels, many of them offer very reasonable private rooms.

If you're looking for cheap, you could also consider staying in Hoboken or somewhere similar, it's a short train ride into the middle of the city.

Comment

I was feeling lazy this morning and didn't want to start searching using those trip planning web site. You can get hooked and spend many hours on these looking and looking... But I ended doing a quick search on one of those search engines for hotels and I've found a few interesting hotels at around 250$-300$ per night... And some of them are so well located that it's park and walk!

It's a lot of money but... I've came to the conclusion that as we are five, I could go up to 300$ a night if it's worth it and very well located. But if you have cheaper interesting options, I'm open to them. That means more gear money after all!!!
      JB aka BenoA

Comment

The Plaza, the Palace, Essex House, those are very affordable if you're a billionaire.
        Look downtown in the Soho area, it's gonna be much cheaper than midtown.
        Do yourself a favor and try Taormina's and every other restaurant on Mulberry street
        in Little Italy, overdose on Italian food, go home with a blood type of marinara, you won't be
        disappointed. You don't need a car in the city either, the buses and subways run constantly,
        cabs are rampant, until 3:30- 4 p.m-ish, then it's starts getting hairy to catch one until rush hour is over.
        Search for the Chelsea Hotel, see what they are charging, you'd be right in the middle of the city, around 23rd st. a little history
        in that hotel too.
        Last edited by atomic charvel guy; 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

you might be able to get a little break on the price if you stay in the room
          that Sid and Nancy stayed in-lol

http://www.hotelchelsea.com/history.php

Comment

you have to have at least one breakfast at the Empire Diner, it's the best one in the city, not too ragingly expensive either.
            Just get ready for a cashectomy across the board , they have magic claws that come out of each corner that you turn that extract
            money out of your pocket in that city. It is fun as can possibly be though, and you can't get in trouble unless you shoot a police officer
            or something, have a good time, it won't be hard.

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?q=visit...ient=firefox-a
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I took the wife to NYC for a long weekend last year, and we stayed at the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers on 7th Ave. Nice hotel, just a couple of blocks up from Times Square, so it's a convenient and central location for lots of activites. Not sure what they're charging now, but I remember more in the $300 plus-ish range. Also, it's a quick shoot to Penn Station, too, if you want to take the train instead. (When you factor in gas, tolls & parking, that's often cheaper than driving to NYC.)

Also, not sure when you plan on travelling, but you'll find that NYC hotel prices largely depend on the time of year. Planning ahead a bit usually gets you cheaper rates, as most hotels there jack their charges the closer to the date you get (as more of their rooms get booked) and/or for typical seasons.

Good luck, and have a cool time.

Comment

I stayed in the Hyatt Grand central station before...was expensive with the room about the size of a walk in closet lol.

I don't know how the NYC'ers can live in such small places that cost way too much
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Screw driving, look out for the Cash Cab!
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. Gave all the ideas/comments/links to the wife and she's having fun looking at all of this.
                      JB aka BenoA

Comment

you have the NHL Store in Midtown to pick up a montreal jersey too.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                          you have the NHL Store in Midtown to pick up a montreal jersey too.
                          Note taken!!!

Joking aside, any guitar stores worth stopping by in NYC?
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Don't forget to stop by and visit GrandTurk while you're there...just look for pricey strat-style guitars dangling out of windows...you can't miss his place!

Comment

go to 48th street for guitar shops, you've got the famous manny's of course, and others.
                              I don''t know about other stores though I haven't lived there in over 20 years now.
                              48th street used to be flooded with them, the ESP parts shop was there, it was great, and cheap too.

Comment

Working...
                              X