Help with notes. Please,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with notes. Please,

OK i didn't really know where to post this.
    OK guys i feel retarded asking this. but im a beginner with notes im only 15. ive learned on tabs and im actually a good guitar player but i want to be more than just a player. i want to actually learn music and become a smarter musician. I know all the notes on guitar and how to read the notes on the first 3 frets of each string included high A. The question i have is once you get to the higher frets how would you read those in music? To make this qeustion easier to understand how would you read the B on the low E string on a sheet of music?:think:

Sorry for the long paragragh.
    Last edited by brian95; 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM.

Do they offer music theory classes in your school? I took one and a jazz improv class when I was in high school...but had grown up reading sheet music for flute, of all things.

The treble clef that we use for guitar has five lines and four spaces in between. Starting at the bottom line and going up to the top line, the notes on the lines are E, G, B, D, and F. The spaces, from the bottom up, read F, A, C, and E. You probably know that, and since you know how staff lines are added for notes above the clef - the high A - you do the same for notes below the clef. You basically have to add lines and spaces, and count them. But once you learn to read, you learn what each note looks like so you recognize them on sight.

I think that sheet music for the higher notes on the guitar is usually noted on the treble clef as usual but indicates that it's an octave higher. It may sometimes just show it where it is - way up there. I think sheet music for piccolo is often shown that way. I guess you just have to get used to reading that.

The thing about the guitar is that unlike most other instruments like piano, flute, you name it...the same note can often be played in more than one place on the fretboard. Not so with the very lowest and highest, but your example of the B on the low E string...assuming you meant the low heavy E string. That note is on the 7th fret of that string but the same note is also on the 2nd fret of the A string. Another example is the open E note on the high E string...the same note can be played on the B, G, D, and A strings as well. What little I know about sight reading sheet music for guitar is that you take your cues from where you were, and are, on the neck, and where the music is headed. Like anything, it takes practice.

I wish I could've explained it better but hopefully that answers some questions. I'm sure there's lots of info available on the web on that.

Comment

instead of adding lines above and below the staff you use existing and just note 8va higher or lower than written.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I suggest you buy a music notiation program like 'Guitar Pro'. It's basically like Microshaft Word for music.

Comment

i don't know if this helps, but the lower register is identical to the upper register, they're the same notes just an octave higher.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

"Microshaft"...was that really necessary?

Both Chief Crazy and Shawn are correct. You can also write an 8 below the treble clef symbol to say that it sounds an octave lower than written. Look at vocal music written for tenors and you'll see this method used.

You can also (although this is very uncommon with guitar music) write the music with a different clef. The "C Clef" is used to point out where middle C is on the staff. See Baritone Clef, Tenor Clef, Alto Clef, Mezzo-Soprano Clef, and Soprano Clef.

Learning to read music written on the staff can be a great help when it comes to learning theory, as the chord intervals are immediately visible.

If you're just looking to get better at guitar, the only answer is practice. If you're looking to gain a further understanding of music, then see if your school offers a theory class and start listening to all types of music (rock, metal, country, jazz, symphonies, chamber music, choirs, etc.).

Summary:

Three solutions for writing notes that are not on the staff in treble clef:
            1. use ledger lines
            2. write "8va" or "8vb" (octave above, octave below) over the affected notes
            3. change clefs
            Last edited by Spivonious; 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM.
            Scott

Comment

you all were great help i will look to see if my school has a theory class next year because we already had to give our schedules in.

Comment

i think next year or the year after i will try to get my band teacher to let me play guitar in the school band also. that will definitely help me with my timing and reading music.

Comment

shawn, are you good at sight reading?
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                    shawn, are you good at sight reading?
                    nope. I think I could have been but I don't do it anymore and havent for years and years. I found that I cheated anyway, after about 2nd or 3rd time reading through a piece I was basically just memorizing it afterwards and thats not really reading at that point.

I was big on it for a while, thought it would be cool as hell to pick up any piece of music and be play it on the spot.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      "Microshaft"...was that really necessary?
                      Probably not, but I'm not going to give Orofice (oops I did it again... ) a free plug without indicating it's inherant flaws, that would be irresponsible .

In all seriousness; Guitar pro 6 isn't perfect either but I have found it a great tool for understanding notation. I am not a sight reader, I have to sit there read it and work out what it means (translate it in my head) before I can play it. This program has enabled me to type in notation I have struggled to understand and clarify it either in tab or just through the playback function so I can hear the timings.

The reason I suggest GP as opposed to other (and probably better) programs is cost based, a high school kid has much more of a chance of affording a $50-$60 program than a $200-$300 one.

I also agree that a music theory class at school would be good, might as well take advantage of free learning opportunities before you leave school and have to pay for your information.

Comment

Working...
                      X