Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The question no player ever wants to answer - can you really play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that I didn't think to mention in my earlier posts about my own playing...or more specifically the evolution of my playing..something that absolutely improved my overall skill, technique, etc... In the mid-late 90s I temporarily put down my electric guitars, and only very rarely actually plugged in. I wasn't playing in a band, and I really wanted to learn to sing and play. Having decent backup vocal ability from years playing in bands, I never really sang complete songs (except while driving
    But for a period of probably 5-7 years, I'd just play acoustic and sing, until I was very comfortable with everything I had been working on. Obviously, my vocal ability was limited, so while I could play and sing, some singers/songs were just outside my range. But not being in a band, and wanting to learn something much different definitely shaped my abilities today. I've known many a shredder who couldn't sing a note..and that was not me. I enjoyed this new aspect of guitar playing...and lets face it...how cool is it when you're at a party or a bbq, and you bust out the guitar and everyone there starts singing the songs you're doing. It's absolutely more intimate than playing in a band, with the amps turned up. Not necessarily more or less fun...just more intimate.

Eventually, I started picking up the electrics again...and finally, the purchase of a fairly high quality PRS really re-sparked my interest in playing electric. I was back playing the way I started. But I never regret the years that I worked on my acoustic/vocal technique...and it's like riding a bike..you don't lose it. Sure...I need to warm up a little more nowadays...but at the end of the day, it certainly improved my timing...I play rhythms more naturally, with less effort....and of course, I can now sing and play. And there are still times where that's what I want to do. It just usually doesn't last more than a day or two.
    Now...how do I regard my vocal chops?....that would be another thread.
    Todd M

Comment

Can i play? Yes. Do i really care if other people think i can? Not really. Ive always played guitar for the pleasure of playing. I teach here in town, and some people refer to me as one of "those guys in town"- whatever. I know theres always someone better, or someone who thinks theyre better, so i never got caught up in any of the ego bullshit associated with "the scene".

I would say i was a much more technically proficient player back in the late 80s/early 90s than i am now. Then again, i had no job other than playing guitar in a cover band. LMAO. Back then we did malmsteen, mr scary, racer x, vicious rumors, etc, and id sit around for hours a day playing along to minds eye, maximum security, malmsteens odyssey blah blah blah. I couldnt touch any (or VERY little) of that today, and i honestly dont care. I still play after 27 years purely for my own enjoyment.
      Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I have always loved fast guitar playing and technical players. That said I can only listen to so much of it. Yes I can shred and do arpeggios and all that stuff. Over the years I have developed fretboard connections and some techniques that have not seen other people do. Originality is key.

But hell I have written country songs, very slow melodic songs etc.... Melody and groove are what makes music above everything else.

But are you always going to drive your Ferrarri at 30 MPH ? Gotta mix it up me thinks.

Interesting is the overall term of how I like to play and listen to music. Stuff that is interesting.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well. Since we are all being honest here.. I cant play for crap. I only started about 2 years ago.. Why? because i wanted to play the music i feel... I have no idea why i didnt start younger. i mean my 3rd grade class photos i was wearing metallica t shirts and listing to all kinds of metal.. just never picked up a guitar to really learn it till last year.

My first was a Dean Vendentta. Old pawn shop beater. then i bought my RR1T and now i have lots of goodies..but i feel there is something out there a method or book or DVD or something that will help beyond the old learning your clean chords. here are your power chords and so on.. something that tightens and defines what kinda guitarist you will be..

So many different styles of music and ways to play that i prolly wont ever be "good" but i dont care about that. not trying to be in a band or do anything. i just love the concept of what guitars can do.. (if that makes sense)

but i just keep listing to music and watching other good guitarist and try to play riffs.. after all. a song is made with the first riff..

Comment

I am a lot like the OP, impressive to those that don't play or absolute beginners. Just started taking lessons again a couple of months ago and the difference between me and the instructor are astounding, in technique and knowledge of music theory.

Comment

I don't know honestly. I'd love to think I can. But I don't know. I'm more of a blues solo guy. I just chill around in the blues box 80% of the time. Supposedly I can play fast but I've only been told that by non musicians ears. I know how to do arpeggio's but I've never practiced enough to successfully and cleanly pull them off. So I guess I am average. With rhythms I'm more of a thrash/stoner metal guy but solo's I usually use the Blues Box for 80%, some diminished shit and usually harmonic minor for the other 20%.

Comment

I'm an awesome player. At least in my own mind....Seriously, I consider myself passable. I realized a long time ago no matter how well I learned to play there is always many others better, and no matter how much I learned it only taught me how much I didn't know. I have been playing for 50 years and usually I can play what I hear in my head and make it sound like what I imagine tonally and capture the emotion and feeling as well. To me music is all about expression and emotion. I gauge how well I play by how deep I get into the feeling of the piece and more importantlly if performing how well I can make the listener feel the same emotion.
                Truly great music isn't about how technical it is but how well it communicates.........No I'm not a shredder but as some one stated it's all relative to the listener.

Comment

I went to GIT, and it did help my playing. It really forced me to learn music theory,
                  rather then just playing buy ear like I thought was all I needed. In 1985 you had to apply, then send them A tape of your playing. Then.. be interviewed. Next, live audition.
                  It helped me ALOT! I was A much better player, much more structured. The guest instructors alone were worth the tuition cost!
                  well....kinda. spendy place. Interacting with the other students was A big plus also.
                  I never landed A gig, but I left LA pretty fast. Axel was right.. Welcome to the jungle!
                  Where else can you learn jazz, blues and rock..from the innovators themselves?
                  The beginning of Hot for teacher is still A little tricky!

Comment

Originally posted by sixstringfever View Post
                    In 1985 you had to apply, then send them A tape of your playing. Then.. be interviewed. Next, live audition.
                    You brought back some memories!!! In 1987 I had called them and ordered all the docs/infos for applying. But, as I'm canadian, the whole project would have cost me too much money and at the time I could definitely not afford it.
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by sixstringfever View Post
                      In 1985 you had to apply, then send them A tape of your playing. Then.. be interviewed. Next, live audition.
                      You brought back some memories!!! In 1987 I had called them and ordered all the docs/infos for applying. But, as I'm canadian, the whole project would have cost me too much money and at the time I could definitely not afford it.
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

You just have to be good enough to play what you want on the guitar. People tell me I am really good but most don't know I am cheating with fast picking to make up for my slow fingers. Play to have fun. Don't worry about if someone is that much better than you. So what? There are thousands of videos on YouTube of better players but 99.9% of them still have to put thier guitars down and go lay bricks or whatever to make a living. Just get enough skill to convey what you hear in your head onto the fretboard. Anything more than that and you are just another contestant in the "Look what I can do" contest. The true greats write songs that appeal to the people who can't tell the difference between a Dorian Mode and a Major Penatonic.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                          You just have to be good enough to play what you want on the guitar. People tell me I am really good but most don't know I am cheating with fast picking to make up for my slow fingers. Play to have fun. Don't worry about if someone is that much better than you. So what? There are thousands of videos on YouTube of better players but 99.9% of them still have to put thier guitars down and go lay bricks or whatever to make a living. Just get enough skill to convey what you hear in your head onto the fretboard. Anything more than that and you are just another contestant in the "Look what I can do" contest. The true greats write songs that appeal to the people who can't tell the difference between a Dorian Mode and a Major Penatonic.
                          Excellent post.
                          Your post ought to be at the beginning of every music book and conveyed to every guitar Student taking lessons.
                          No truer words spoken regarding playing and the approach to the instrument itself.
                          Good job Matt.

I cheat too.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                            Just get enough skill to convey what you hear in your head onto the fretboard.
                            Unfortunately for me the music I hear in my head is like a blend of Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine, Randy Rhoads, and Gary Moore.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well, I can't say where I am after more years than I would like to admit of playing the guitar. Familiar story, I picked it up around '87 when I was 15 because I wanted to be James Hetfield/ Dave Mustaine. I spent the majority of those years, with the exception of the "grunge" years, faking my way around leads I couldn't handle...techniques I wasn't willing to perfect...just playing what I could play well and telling myself I was more interested in rhythm anyway.

Bull Puckey.

Like Grim said, back in the day (especially rural Louisiana) there was no Guitar Pro software, no Ultimate-Guitar.com, and definitely no local teacher that could touch thrash leads, much less teach anything about Metal guitar aside from some RR licks from Crazy Train. I took 2 or 3 formal lessons to strum chords, learned most from the other guitarist in the cover band we started - he was a year older and was gifted, plus he had both Ride the Lightning and MOP tab books - the only songs we could cover were ones we could figure out by ear. Every great once in while, Guitar Player or Guitar World mag would throw us a bone (OMG dude! Mandatory Suicide tabbed!!!) That guy's name was Joel, and he played a black Charvel Model 5 that was the sweetest thing I'd ever laid eyes on. I had a Charvette. So I carried on, with an '87 Gibson SG and later a '91 LP Studio Lite, figuring out songs the chicks dug when in college, but never again returning to a "learning/ improving" frame of mind. I never stopped playing, but with the exception of perfecting 6 or so bars of Little Wing (SRV) I was 100% stagnant. Nimrods were easily impressed, but they are easy, aren't they?

Bout '04, I had a thrash renaissance. Found a black '87 Model 5 on the bay. Had money and a career, so ditched the LP, (kept the SG) added a DKMG and a SLS 3, all the while scouring the net for basic lead lessons/shred sites, Gilbert lessons, Troy Stetina has a GREAT 3-4 book series...and actually learned a profound and sacred truth about shredding. It changed my playing forever, and only took about 6 months to really really pay off.

Economy picking is a farse if you can't alternate pick every single note, starting every one on a downstroke.

And it was some no-name but wise Australian guy on youtube that imparted this to me. So even now, I consider myself a true "student" of the guitar, of shredding. I enjoy not gigging and amazing people, but spending countless hours in my upstairs studio with "the girls" and my laptop, playing till my right shoulder goes numb and my fingers quit. I enjoy amazing myself. I use two scales, pentatonic/ blues (Gibbons/ Z Wylde) and the harmonic minor scale (Sweating Bullets intro) Some suggestions for youngsters who want a head start:

-Stetina's lead/ speed books on Amazon.com - Dated? so what? If you can't shred the '80s, you can't shred!
                              -Theodore Ziras at theodoreziras.com (click video, then lick of the week. awesome vids with tabs for free) Dude is amazing, and great teacher.
                              -Shredknowledge.com - nice guys, good resource.

I am much more confident in my playing now than I was 7 years ago. Take advantage of all this info available to you. A shame I wasted so much time...don't be me.

Comment

can I play?

Yes, I'd like to think so. Lots of non-musicians tell me I'm awesome (lol) and musicians tell me I'm good. Which is nice to hear, that all the time I "wasted" in school paid off in someway.

If you get to know my playing its very predictable. All blues based stuff, just with 80s flare. But I have MUCH more in common with Hendrix then I do with Vai. with my main influences being guys like Neal Schon and Warren DeMartini, I'm not about to rip your head off with sweeps and arpeggios and stuff like that, as I just don't find it interesting. Playing guitar is not an athletic event, where things like speed and technique should dictate who is the best. There is no "best." Personally, I hate my singing voice, so the guitar is my way of singing to anyone willing to listen
                                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                                X