Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The question no player ever wants to answer - can you really play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 yrs. ago...when I was 15, I could play the Crazy Train solo, a)note for note if the listener was not a guitarist, or b) a guitarist would say, what the hell was that. A buddy of mine that helped me get started taught me how to cheat pretty well. He would say, "there's a right way, the wrong way, and the John way." I will never be as good as I want to be, but as stated many times, we are our own worst critic. I can amaze the hell out of all my friends that don't play, lol, but none of you fuckers would be slightly impressed.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

My lead style is early 80s- RR, EVH, Jake E. Lee, etc.
      If you feel down on your lead skills, remember two things:

1. The whole reason why we even PLAY guitar solos is to impress non-musicians.
      2. Soloing on electric guitar is such a teeny-weeny-tiny little aspect of guitar playing. EVen the most skilled of shredders has nothing on a good classical guitarist.

Don't believe me?

Check this video out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXYEKKc8pU

First time I heard this, it blew my mind! A TRUE virtuoso!
      Last edited by kamalayka; 02-18-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Stubby Fingers = Suck at Guitar

The reason I taught myself how to play was to jam along with Metallica Albums...

I have no interest in entertaining anyone...

Last edited by Nimitz; 02-18-2011, 01:29 AM.
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by kamalayka View Post
          My lead style is early 80s- RR, EVH, Jake E. Lee, etc.
          If you feel down on your lead skills, remember two things:

1. The whole reason why we even PLAY guitar solos is to impress non-musicians.
          2. Soloing on electric guitar is such a teeny-weeny-tiny little aspect of guitar playing. EVen the most skilled of shredders has nothing on a good classical guitarist.

Don't believe me?

Check this video out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXYEKKc8pU

First time I heard this, it blew my mind! A TRUE virtuoso!
          I understand the point you`re making...
          That guy is a master at what he does but that particular piece of music does absolutely nothing for me!
          Also I don`t think that guy will be picking up an electric and rippin out a smokin` version of `Eruption` anytime soon (even if he wanted to)...
          I think you`ll find he`s stuck with that technique, EVH is stuck with his, you`re stuck with yours and I`m stuck with mine!

Another guy in his thread mentioned Dave Gilmour and I gotta agree. Gilmour does`nt play passages that sound technically difficult but his overall musicianship just impresses the shit outta me! Again, others may not have the same appreciation for it and that`s understandable as well.

I find what impresses non-players the most is when you can just pick up an acoustic at a party, start bashing out some classic rock covers and sing (badly in my instance), and get other people singing as well that`s when people start saying shit like, man you can really play that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
            I don`t think that guy will be picking up an electric and rippin out a smokin` version of `Eruption` anytime soon (even if he wanted to)...
            I wouldn't be so quick to say that. My uncle teaches classical guitar and I've seen him SHRED scale passages all over the fretboard like nobody's business using various classical guitar tremelo patterns. And he does it as a warm-up while talking on the phone sometimes!
            (using your fingers is much easier than using a pick to tremelo. With a good month or so of serious practice, you can go just as fast as a shredder using only a fraction of the effort.)

Here is the basic technique:

Say you want to play 16th notes using the p-i-m-a pattern. Pluck the first string with your thumb, then pluck it with your third finger, then your second, and finally your first. Do that with a metronome on all the strings. (It also helps if you have long nails.)

0-0-0-0------------------------------------------------
            ----------0-0-0-0--------------------------------------
            -------------------0-0-0-0-----------------------------
            ----------------------------0-0-0-0--------------------
            --------------------------------------0-0-0-0----------
            -----------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-
            Last edited by kamalayka; 02-19-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              I play music not `exercises`.

Comment

Working...
              X