• Show
Clear All

Ernie Ball 8's except on 7 strings
    Then I use Ernie Ball 9's
    I have 1 Jackson set up
    With 12's
    According To The Prophecy

Comment

GHS 10-60(formerly known as Zakk Wylde signature set) set in standard tuning, dropped D, Eb, Drop Db, Pantera Tuning and Dropped Pantera tuning. If I go lower than that I'll put in a 70 for the lowest string.

Comment

DR and D'addario 9's on OFR and DR 10's on L.P's both brands work well for me.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

ernie ball 10's. Though when this San D hss gets here we'll see.
          Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
          Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
          Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
          Gretsch G6128T-TVP
          Gibson LP Traditional
          Gibson J-185 EC
          Hagstrom XL5
          Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
          Walden T550 EC

Comment

Ernie Ball 9s on all of my guitars.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Ernie Ball .10-52s.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I'm not surprised at all the folks using D'Addarios..I, like most of you, used them for years..many years. Those, Ernie Ball, and GHS Boomers seemed to be the most popular when I started playing seriously in the mid-80s...but D'Addarios were definitely the brand I bought the most.

I certainly don't have anything bad to say about any of those brands...I just tend to like to change things up after using something for a long time (I just switched to Parliament menthol after smoking Marlboro menthol lights for 20 years ), and DRs seemed to be a little brighter than the others..despite my comments to the contrary, where I state it's hard to tell the difference. In all honesty, I started using DRs a couple years ago because my guitar tech told me they were made here in NJ...so I figured why not support a local brand. After switching, I did tend to like the way my newer guitars sounded, so I stuck with them. Jury's still out on the Elixirs...which are pretty expensive, so if I don't notice a substantial difference in string life with these, I'll be going back to DRs pretty much exclusively.

I don't know if any of you remember (and I don't recall seeing any posts here referring to these... so forgive me if somebody mentioned them)...but for a long time D'Addario made strings especially for floyd trems...with the ball end flattened. I used them for quite a while. And then when I went on electric guitar hiatus (playing primarily acoustics), and came back, I noticed those strings were no longer available.
                Does anyone know if these things are still made?..and if not, why did they do away with them?

Thanks
                Todd M

Comment

I dont have a preference as long as their 9's . I dont change them very often either.

Comment

Ernie Ball. 9's or 10's. Or Hybrids if its for something a bit heavier.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                      Dean Markley Blue Steels .10s.
                      +1
                      This is what I use on all my guitars.

Comment

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's. D'Addario's cut my fingers more and turn them black.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

SIT's for the last 20+ years. Tried other brands but keep coming back to SIT's.

Comment

EB Skinny top Heavy bottoms on all my guitars.

Comment

D'Addarios XL 9-42 for the past 20 yrs. Although, I have recently tried the E.Ball Hybrid 9-46 and like the heavier tone the thicker bottom strings provide. I just got a set Roto Sound 9-42's I will be trying. Michael Schenker seems to think they play/sound good.
                              Last edited by Predator1; 09-06-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Used Ernie Ball for years but was converted to D'Addario about 7 years ago. They seem to last about 3x longer and hold tune better. Always had problems with the Ernie Ball breaking (actually coming unwound) on the D string on all my guitars after about 3 shows on them. No bridge problems, the things would just come undone. The D'Addarios last for months-no problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X