Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Dead serious. He wanted a break. The band did not. He left. He is now is in Avenged Sevenfold. I've died a little inside...

"Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

I saw this earlier today and ...... WOW... DT won't be the same without him. But you can't blame him. All he asked for was a break for a while, but no, can't have that. Truely a day that I never thought would come.

In my opinion, this is like Rush continuing without Peart.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I read the Dream Theater biography a few months ago.

Technically this is the second time he left. His first last night in the band was supposed to be the night Once in a Livetime was recorded.

Admittedly he's hard to get along with and an alcoholic and a total control freak. Him and Petrucci control the band. Portnoy does (or did!) give DT 100% but he was also always doing side projects. Fun for him but the rest of the band probably got tired of always waiting for him. They have bills to pay and want to keep moving forward. It's tough when you make your living being creative. You want to grow and a band, even one as creative as DT does have it's constaints and formulas and I can see a person like him wanting to try new things.

As for Avenged...ugh...aren't they on minute 14 already?

Not sure if DT can continue without Portnoy. But maybe the sappy songs will finally go away.

Comment

This fucking sucks. Dream Theater is by far my favorite band, and to see them lose a member like Portnoy is terrible. The worst part is easily the fact that he'll probably be officially joining A7X now, and that band is fucking queer. Who knows who DT will get as a replacement. I'd like to remain optimistic. Portnoy is a ridiculously talented drummer, but there are some dudes out there who can smoke him. Hopefully DT will get one of those guys.

Comment

He can always make a living re-recording covers of Beatles songs for movie soundtracks.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sad that Portnoy leaves DT... We'll see what will happen.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            He can always make a living re-recording covers of Beatles songs for movie soundtracks.

Gilbert is amazing in that video (as usual!!!)
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

He's got crazy OCD, which I'm sure makes him as tough to deal with as he is brilliant, but I guess we'll see. It would be nice if DT could dial back the 'Tumeni Notes' syndrome they all seem to suffer from. I also wouldn't mind seeing Rod Morgenstein get a shot here.
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

They need to get former Fates Warning drummer, Mark Zonder!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, mark zonder is the one that popped in my mind as well. i am not surprised about the avenged sevenfold thing. he played on the new album, and, that is a much higher profile gig at the moment. those guys are still new enough that they have some life left. DT, eh....aside from their technical skills their songs pretty much blow.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I saw A7X a couple weeks ago. My girlfriend is a huge fan of them, I'm not. The highlight of the show for me was watching Mike, but the rest of the band, I have to admit, were incredible and sounded awesome. The singer's voice kind of annoys me, and as much as I would like to rag on him, he did a really good job live.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, the singer has a nasally voice, but they write good songs. their drummer was a beast, so portnoy certainly isn't "down-grading" - he's just playing songs rather than exercises!!
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Wow, I didn't see this one coming. But I have to agree with him that DT has been boring for a long time. Their last decent album was Train of Thought, and the last one that was really memorable was Scenes from a Memory.
                        Scott

Comment

While not a fan of a7X I can understand that portnoy would want to do something else for a while........but why make it permanent ? Dream Theater has always been up there in terms ability but I can only listen to a handful of their albums. I would like to see a Danny Carey or Gene Hoglan try out video :-)

Ben.....Nice Wintersun avatar.
                          Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

He was the best thing about that band. SDOIT is their best album imho, and he was the driving force behind it.

Comment

Maybe the next DT album can be about something other than Mike's 12 step program.
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                              X