Western Digital External USB 1TB HD Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Digital External USB 1TB HD Driver

I googled it, went on several sites, some of which are just pigs wanting you to use their bullshit "driver scanner" spam shite. The others just show specs but no drivers.

The driver(s) I need are for a wdc wd2500aajs-00vTA0, WD10EADS. I'm running winXP Pro.

I want to be able to boot my PC without it getting jammed. I'm sick of having to dis-/re- connect this 1TB HD. The HD was sold used, and was formatted.

So if anyone here has the driver(s), your help will be appreciated.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

With Xp it should be plug and play if its formatted., However your boot registry for that drivewill not be the one for your BIOS. You should probably reformat it for your computer, Assuming your using it as a bootable drive. vs a Storage device.

Comment

Try this page /http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=wd2500aajs+drivers&x=6&y=15

Comment

That's where I got as far as, but there's no way to physically download it. Just gives spec's.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

You need a Seagate. After years of Brand Loyalty to WD, I've had enough of their drives shitting the bed and taking all my stuff with them. They fail for no fucking reason. Click click click wait wait wait "Windows could not write F$M* whatever and the data was lost and your drive and data are fucked have a nice day".
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            You need a Seagate. After years of Brand Loyalty to WD, I've had enough of their drives shitting the bed and taking all my stuff with them. They fail for no fucking reason. Click click click wait wait wait "Windows could not write F$M* whatever and the data was lost and your drive and data are fucked have a nice day".
            I use WDs.

There really is no product download for the WD-2500AAJS. However, the WD website lists that model as an internal 250gb SATA hard drive, and it is not in my store database (I do have the Blue 250gb IDE model, the 2500AAJB.)
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              I use WDs.

There really is no product download for the WD-2500AAJS. However, the WD website lists that model as an internal 250gb SATA hard drive, and it is not in my store database (I do have the Blue 250gb IDE model, the 2500AAJB.)
              I also use WD. I've had too many Seagates die. I have a 750 GB portable drive that works perfect for my Mac. I have it partitioned half for Time Machine and half for files.

That drive should be plug and play. Most drives that require drivers are the security-based drives that you need software to unlock like the Maxtor drives or drives that come with (somewhat useless and intrusive. You can get better free software from the internet that is less resource intensive) backup software. I used to have a Seagate Maxtor portable drive with the encryption stuff; it was a serious pain in the ass. Not to mention it would repeatedly disconnect and reconnect (Requiring me to retype the password EVERY TIME.)

This is a long shot but maybe try to go into your BIOS and see what the boot order is. It may for some reason be set to boot off USB (Which has a few uses, such as installing OSes on netbooks or CULV laptops without optical drives) and be causing trouble by trying to boot off of the drive even though there is nothing to boot on it. Make sure the boot order is set to either the hard drive your OS is on or the main optical disk drive (For if something happens with Windows and you need to run the install disk prior to the OS starting). I personally always have it set to boot from the disk drive first and HDD second because typically it will ignore the disk drive unless whatever is in it will run something useful (Like an OS disk). Chances are it is not what I'm thinking but it may be worth a look. Unless you meddled with your BIOS at all it should still be set to factory and is more than likely not set to boot from USB.

Good luck!
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                I also use WD. I've had too many Seagates die. I have a 750 GB portable drive that works perfect for my Mac. I have it partitioned half for Time Machine and half for files.

That drive should be plug and play. Most drives that require drivers are the security-based drives that you need software to unlock like the Maxtor drives or drives that come with (somewhat useless and intrusive. You can get better free software from the internet that is less resource intensive) backup software. I used to have a Seagate Maxtor portable drive with the encryption stuff; it was a serious pain in the ass. Not to mention it would repeatedly disconnect and reconnect (Requiring me to retype the password EVERY TIME.)

This is a long shot but maybe try to go into your BIOS and see what the boot order is. It may for some reason be set to boot off USB (Which has a few uses, such as installing OSes on netbooks or CULV laptops without optical drives) and be causing trouble by trying to boot off of the drive even though there is nothing to boot on it. Make sure the boot order is set to either the hard drive your OS is on or the main optical disk drive (For if something happens with Windows and you need to run the install disk prior to the OS starting). I personally always have it set to boot from the disk drive first and HDD second because typically it will ignore the disk drive unless whatever is in it will run something useful (Like an OS disk). Chances are it is not what I'm thinking but it may be worth a look. Unless you meddled with your BIOS at all it should still be set to factory and is more than likely not set to boot from USB.

Good luck!
                I'm well versed in the installation procedure for internal hard drives (I run a custom PC business). Thing is, he's listing his drive as a 1TB external drive. The model number he's posted here is for a 250GB Internal drive. Interestingly enough, I don't stock it.

He can certainly try booting from a USB device, but there seems to be a bit of a problem with the drive itself.
                Last edited by Grim; 09-13-2010, 07:45 AM.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Apart from preventing bootup and shutdown of the PC, the WD functions normally. No issues with my Dad's PC, and he's running WinVista, hence I assumed it was a driver I was supposed to look for. I have a 500gb Seagate USB HD that doesn't have this problem. It does however re-index a lot (5 second delay when accessing some folders).
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

I'm well versed in the installation procedure for internal hard drives (I run a custom PC business). Thing is, he's listing his drive as a 1TB external drive. The model number he's posted here is for a 250GB Internal drive. Interestingly enough, I don't stock it.

He can certainly try booting from a USB device, but there seems to be a bit of a problem with the drive itself.
                    I wasn't suggesting trying to boot from USB. More that perhaps his system is trying to boot from his external HDD and it's causing a hiccup. My guess is something is weird with the drive also though I'm not well versed in desktop drives, only the portable laptop drives.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                      I wasn't suggesting trying to boot from USB. More that perhaps his system is trying to boot from his external HDD and it's causing a hiccup. My guess is something is weird with the drive also though I'm not well versed in desktop drives, only the portable laptop drives.
                      But it wouldn't. Even if his BIOS was set to 1.USB 2. HDD it would go to the HDD after it is finished with the USB, assuming a boot failure. And besides, unless he changed it, the system manufacturer would have set the BIOS up properly. Are we sure that the USB device is actually in the boot order? But with a functional Seagate drive on the same machine there would be no difference. Your boot order should generally look as follows (This is the "Standard order". Most system manufacturers and me ship with this order.) 1. Optical drive 2. Hard Drive. That's it. I am still confused in regards to the actual identity of the drive. As I mentioned above, the WD2500AAJS is an Internal SATA 250GB hard drive, in the WD Blue series of drives.

On the other hand, is the problem that you need the 1TB drive to boot your PC, which contains the WD2500AAJS? Or is the 1TB drive not working and 2500AAJS working?
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

But it wouldn't. Even if his BIOS was set to 1.USB 2. HDD it would go to the HDD after it is finished with the USB, assuming a boot failure. And besides, unless he changed it, the system manufacturer would have set the BIOS up properly. Are we sure that the USB device is actually in the boot order? But with a functional Seagate drive on the same machine there would be no difference. Your boot order should generally look as follows (This is the "Standard order". Most system manufacturers and me ship with this order.) 1. Optical drive 2. Hard Drive. That's it. I am still confused in regards to the actual identity of the drive. As I mentioned above, the WD2500AAJS is an Internal SATA 250GB hard drive, in the WD Blue series of drives.

On the other hand, is the problem that you need the 1TB drive to boot your PC, which contains the WD2500AAJS? Or is the 1TB drive not working and 2500AAJS working?
                        Okay, that makes sense. What I was suggesting before with the boot order was an extreme longshot, as noted at the end of my post. Yes, clarifying where he got this model number in comparison to what he actually has will help figure this situation out.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                        X