Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A confession and a rant

OK, so i like Ibanez guitars

Which really means i like the RG series (though NOT that archtop or beveled body crap - i'm talking looks, not playability btw) and i think the S series and the Iceman look cool although i have never played them.

I used to think that if you are ok with the sound, "you can't go wrong with an RG". Well, i saw this video and now i know you can:

It just doesn't work! You can't play Megadeth on an RG. Well you can in your bedroom, and it sounds great, but on stage that guitar just looks wrong. There needs to be a certain attitude. In other words, it needs to be pointy or look dangerous! Now please don't ask me why a soloist does work... it just does

Notice how i avoided mention of Dave's confused copy of a guitar... oops!

Sorry man, that just sounds retarded to me. You're talking about being disappointed that an artist doesn't fit into your conception of what he should look like on stage, based on a guitar. The man hath the attitude, not the guitar.

Guitar wise, I have no brand loyalties and I will play anything that has the combination of sound, feel and looks, prioritised in that order. While many Ibanez guitars look and play great they just don't have the sound I'm looking for.
    Last edited by levantin; 09-11-2010, 03:10 AM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

The Ibanez looks a lot cooler than the fugly Dean KV knockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
        Sorry man, that just sounds retarded to me. You're talking about being disappointed that an artist doesn't fit into your conception of what he should look like on stage, based on a guitar. The man hath the attitude, not the guitar.
        I am just saying i don't like something, how is that retarded? But you have a point there, i also don't think Broderick fits with the band; he looks like he should be in Dream Theater.
        I am not "disappointed" at something here, i just saw this and realized that, to me, it looks wrong! Take it easy

Comment

Taking it easy , sorry if it sounded hostile, I call my buddies retards all the time!

"You can't play Megadeth on an RG" - that was what I was specifically referring to. He can, he does, the force is strong with him.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

nobody in megadeth looks all that menacing these days. mustaine is alwyas wearing a white cotton button up shirt!!!! yes, he DOES snarl, but, BIG, FUCKING deal!!!! jr. looks like he should be the manager of a target or kmart, the drummer just looks like a denny's cook out for a weekend jam, and broderick looks like he should be taking college courses to be a target manager!!!!

personally, i think that mustaine's guitar looks outta place these days, with broderick playing the RG and jr. playing the concert bass. maybe ol' snarling, badass mustaine should play his explorer-abortion more, or go and play a bc rich again.

but, to each their own....
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I dig Broderick, he can flat out jam with about anyone. I'm still meh on the new album. The only thing that really stands out to me is Dialectic Chaos. Seems every new guitarist improves Mustaines playing in some way, but just not his tone. Couldn't care less what they play, so long as it works.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

dont look...listen
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I don't care what name is on the headstock, I'd take that trans white ibby any day. It's a gorgeous guitar, specced out in a very Jackson fashion, probably built by their best guy(s).

That said I wouldn't give up either of my RR1's for it. The Model 5 I would probably bite on though.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Megadeth = Jacksons. It's just the way it is. I think we can agree that since he switched to Dean Mustaine's live tone has gone shitty. Broderick is a machine. Good on Junior to bring out his Jacksons for this tour - I think we all wanted Mustaine to do that as well. It just WORKS.

And don't tell me you can't play metal with a Soloist.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      I don't care what name is on the headstock, I'd take that trans white ibby any day. It's a gorgeous guitar, specced out in a very Jackson fashion, probably built by their best guy(s).

That said I wouldn't give up either of my RR1's for it. The Model 5 I would probably bite on though.
                      I've never played an Ibby that wowed me, including JEMs. They just feel wrong to me. I don't dig the necks, I don't dig the sound. To each their own.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                        +1

That ibanez kicks the shit out of that V with those messed up inlays

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                          And don't tell me you can't play metal with a Soloist.
                          Yeah good call, Jr is basically playing a 5-string soloist, which looks very similar to the RG Broderick is playing

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                            This. Also, Broderick needs to play sevens exclusively. His hands look way too big on six strings. He has huge freaking hands.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                            X