Erdos Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erdos Number

I was thinking that we should introduce the equivalent of the Erdos number to the guitar world. Erdos was a famous mathematician who wrote many papers and collaborated with many people and mathematicians brag (tongue-in-cheeck) about their Erdos number to other mathematicians. People who wrote papers with Erdos have Erdos number 1, people who wrote papers with those guys have number 2 and so forth (mine is 3, by the way). So, the question is what should the metric for the "collaborative distance" be and who should it be measured relative to. As for the first, perhaps having gigged or recorded with a certain artist would qualify. As for the second, there are several worthy guitarists out there. To piss off tonemonster, we could pick Uli as the reference! On the other hand, this being JCF, perhaps the appropriate reference would be Randy? What do you say, what's your Rhoads number?

P.S.: The so-called Bacon number, named after the actor Kevin Bacon, came much later than the Erdos number. Surprisingly, there are people who have worked both with Erdos and Kevin Bacon and these people have a Bacon-Erdos number!

This is why Oppenheimer thought splitting the atom was a great idea.

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hehe, granted, mathematicians have a rather special sense of humor.

Comment

I got a stinky finger from a chick wearing a Randy Rhoads shirt once. I guess that makes me a 1!
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nah, I guess that makes you a 2!
          The chick with the RR-shirt is a 1.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Lessee, Eddie VH gave me a tour of his guitar room (in the old Pasadena house, so that should give you the approximate era LOL) and I got to hold a couple of his axes while he looked on, and I *may* have strummed one (I remember specifically the yellow Hydra because it was a "weird" shape),,,,so I guess my Van Halen number is 1, eh?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My fake cousin's husband sang in Zakk Wylde's old band Zyris. So that gives me a Zakk number of 2, right?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

My number is 3.14

Comment

Good stuff, guys I don't know which is best so far, RacerX's Van Halen number based on 'touch of guitar' - I guess anybody who touched your guitars is then has number 2 - or Grandturks Wylde number 2. I guess Grandturk's is legit expect for it using Zakk Wylde as a reference I think you could pick any famous guitarist and my number would be infinity

Comment

RacerX, pretty cool that he gave you a tour! Were you allowed to touch all of them or did any of them still have the price tag on?

Comment

I played a guitar that had Les Paul's name on it, so that makes my Les Paul number, what, 7?
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X