So I quit my band...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I quit my band...

It was actually in spring that I did it. The gig schedule just got to be too much for me and the whole turning 40 thing. They would seriously accept any gig that would come their way, which I was cool with probably 1/2 the time, but driving an hour to play 45 minutes infront of 20 people for no money gets old real quick. The greater Syracuse area sux ass for bands anyways. There are only a handfull of bands that play 80's and or modern rock around here that can pull in enough people to never worry about covering the PA cost. There were some cool gigs here and there, but they were becoming the exception and not the rule.

I have no ill feelings towards my ex-bandmates and they will always be good friends of mine, but it was just time for me to get out.

Matt

well it sucks to hear of one steppin away from the stage, but then i too have quit my band. well sorta. i told em to start lookin for a replacement. i totally feel ya on the drive and hour, play 45min, then not make enough for the gas spent. i know you arent gonna put down the guitar so it will always be good.

Comment

I guess it depends on whether or not you're having fun.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM.
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

I miss playing live......sort of. What I don't miss is:

Arguing about what to play and how to play it.

Lugging gear around.

Auditioning singers. Think of the first few episodes of American Idol every year; bozos who are convinced that they can sing but everyone else knows better.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Yep, that's why I quit too.

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
              That's why I stopped playing live, it wasn't fun anymore. No fun + no money = waste of time.
              Same here.

Comment

Yeah, same here - sorry to hear about all that. One of the things I'm thankful for with regards to ebomb is that we don't play out all the time. On the one hand, I understand some bands wanting to play out two, three times a week in the same old bars in the same old city, but for us we refuse to do that. We don't want to burn ourselves or our fans out. But... when we start playing out of town, or begin touring, that's another thing altogether! I can't wait to be on the road playing several nights a week!

Rock on.

www.ebombmetal.com

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  I miss playing live......sort of. What I don't miss is:

Arguing about what to play and how to play it.

Lugging gear around.

Auditioning singers. Think of the first few episodes of American Idol every year; bozos who are convinced that they can sing but everyone else knows better.
                  Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                  Yep, that's why I quit too.
                  Were we all in the same band? :think:

It can be a lot of fun. But, playing when I feel like it, being creative without what "the other guys" will think of whatever direction I start going in, etc. is also a lot of fun. :dunno:

Comment

yup thats my deal too. i just feel like i wanna be a soul guitarist for a lack of a better term. i like to dig into myself and release emotion into music. not write songs that people will think is just cool, crazy or funny. its all therapy for me. if i cant honestly express myself then i dont wanna play.

Comment

Yup, same with me. Wanted to have fun, but turned into too many gigs scheduled. I do have other things i like to do than to shoot every weekend away for very little money
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Another thing is that every band I was ever in wound up being a "practice band." That is, we would have our act very tight but never spend enough time getting it out there.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                          The greater Syracuse area sux ass for bands anyways.
                          Hey come on now, you still have the Lost Horizon!

Comment

I am glad to see I am not the only one who got sick of the BS. And the Lost Horizon is still a big shithole...

Comment

Working...
                            X