Nhl 2010-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    I think that would meet the "blindside" part of the new rules.
    That's what I was thinking, although this one straddles the line between blindside and head on. BTW, this one didn't even draw a penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
      No, i understand the rule. And thats what im saying- if a guy is not looking up and gets destroyed, its his fault. And, the rule, if applied to previous hits, wouldve gotten scott stevens thrown out of the league, lol. According to this "rule", thornton, in this case, cant play defense. Hes just supposed to let the guy skate right by, i guess. Like i said earlier, open ice hits are going to be a thing of the past. Soon.
      in less than 5 years there will be a regular season of 162 skills competitions, (like baseball, double the season for more money) and the playoff skills competition series will begin in may and end in august.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupe View Post
        So what would the call be on this hit under the new rules?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61W4NZiRf4
        That was a good hit back then...iffy today. I think the shoulders of Lindros tell the story...flip a coin, could be blind side. I do know this, it would be looked at under a microscope today.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

That's what I was thinking, although this one straddles the line between blindside and head on. BTW, this one didn't even draw a penalty.
          And it shouldnt have. Neither should the thornton hit. Perron himself said "I dont know what joe was supposed to do, let me skate on by"? If guys arer afraid of suspensions and the loss of cash, they arent going to throw big hits anymore. The allstar game sucks for a reason- soon the regular season will.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

• players getting contact in an X fashion are good and + is blindside infraction. The gray area is targeting the head and that is one thing I dont really get. I mean the head is attached to the body. if I'm 6'3 and a player is 5'11 my shoulder is gonna bury you in the head

The blindside rule and all the "setting example" are just like the obstruction rules when it first started...10-12 penalties a side every night...takes form the flow of the game.

When I played if you got nailed it was your own fault for having your head down

All of the rule tweaks are not going to solve the lack of respect players have for one another these days.. If players can protect themselves with a stick to the teeth then you'll see these kind of run ins diminish, you come at me up high towars my head and end up eating my stick with a cross-check to the teeth you wont be coming at me like that unless like picking chickletts up off the ice or really love your dentist
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Pens just aren't an elite team this year. Maybe a 1st round playoff team at best if they don't get things rolling. Crazy OT loss to the Rangers last night...scoring was bizarre.

Comment

Pens just aren't an elite team this year. Maybe a 1st round playoff team at best if they don't get things rolling. Crazy OT loss to the Rangers last night...scoring was bizarre.
                It's way too early to tell. The Flyers are on a roll, destroying every team they meet, but who knows what the picture will look like in April? I do think that Giroux should be on the all-star ballot. He is a genuine star.

My all-star ballot:
                Richards-Briere-Giroux(write-in)
                Pronger-Timonen
                Bobrovsky (write-in)
                Scott

Comment

• Rangers have beaten Chicago and Pittsburgh, i'm good for the rest of the
                  season. Hockey is starting to annoy the hell out of me.
                  i have a question, last night i watched mark Staal trip and go down to the ice,
                  while falling his stick flung up and hit a penguin player, completely unintentional
                  but he goes to the box for 4 minutes. the guy tripped.
                  i don't like seeing anyone get hit in the face area with a stick, especially if intentional,
                  but is that really a penalty? and for 4 minutes? he didn't whack the guy, it was out of his control.

Comment

• I didn't see the play in question Tommy, but the player is expected to control their stick at all times. If there is a cut, the rulebook says automatic double minor. The refs hands are tied. The only time high sticking doesn't count is if it's on a shot follow through.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      I didn't see the play in question Tommy, but the player is expected to control their stick at all times. If there is a cut, the rulebook says automatic double minor. The refs hands are tied. The only time high sticking doesn't count is if it's on a shot follow through.
                      Exactly. Rule 60:
                      "When a player carries or holds any part of his stick above the shoulders of the opponent so that injury results, the Referee shall assess a double-minor penalty for all contact that causes an injury, whether accidental or careless, in the opinion of the Referee."

If he deliberately does it and injures the guy, it's a match penalty.
                      Scott

Comment

• if you can't control your body, how the hell can you control your stick-lol
                        i know it can be done in certain circumstances but it's a silly rule.
                        staal tripped and fell, his stick got caught up and went out of his hands.

Comment

• why shouldn't you have to control your stick on a shot follow through?-lol
                          so you have to control your stick when you can't control your body, but you're just
                          fine when you're in total control and following through on a rip.
                          it's silly.

Comment

• On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

I agree with you 100% Tommy, but those are the rules as they are written. They've been around for a long time but there weren't called often in the past because back in the day the players had more respect for each other and didn't feel like armor plated supermen.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

• yeah...its a penalty, a high stick is a high stick whether intentional or not. I saw the same thing on a Wings game recently. Salei was slew-footed from behind, he fell backwards and while falling his stick clipped a dude in the mouth and cut him...double minor for high sticking but the dude who threw a slew foot got nutin. You have to be in control at all times. There is a judgmet call on follow throughs to a shot but I've seen em both called high sticking and no penalty at all.

its a dumb rule, just like most the NHL enforces....

one I hate and seeing and seeing more of is the composite shafts breaking like balsa wood on a baby one-handed slash but the ref calls 2 for slashing because he broke the stick. SHit I've seen them snap just form a dude trying to pass the puck.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Yeah thats not really the refs fault though. If they see a stick snap out of the corner of their eye and a guy reacting to it they kind of have to assume it was with a lot of force. THe real problem is those damn composite sticks. Some of them burst into carbon fragments if you look at them sideways.
                                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                                X