No announcement yet.

DLR: Eat 'Em And Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember who was quoted in the book "Bang Your Head", but apparently it was Dave's desire to bury Van Halen that drove the original band apart.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
      I can't remember who was quoted in the book "Bang Your Head", but apparently it was Dave's desire to bury Van Halen that drove the original band apart.
      Bury Van Halen? Explain please

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
        Bury Van Halen? Explain please
        Play better... Better critical reviews... Better sales (ticket and album)... Overall, he wanted to be bigger than Van Halen and show that Van Halen's success was more because of him than anything else.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Billy left because Skyscraper sounded like overproduced turd to him
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            Billy left because Skyscraper sounded like overproduced turd to him
            I recall both Vai and Sheehan signed for two albums and two tours.
            The last show on the Skyscraper tour fulfilled their contract obligations.
            Anything said after that is irrelevant, meaning he could talk smack afterwords all he wanted and not be slapped with a law suit or get the boot.

He couldn't have had to much character and integrity or if it was that lousy he would've left before fulfilling his contract obligations and with a law suit.

However, those two albums and tours sure made Billy and Steve overnight household musical names.
            Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper was very good to them both.
            Last edited by Soap; 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
              Play better... Better critical reviews... Better sales (ticket and album)... Overall, he wanted to be bigger than Van Halen and show that Van Halen's success was more because of him than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                I recall both Vai and Sheehan signed for two albums and two tours.
                The last show on the Skyscraper tour fulfilled their contract obligations.
                Anything said after that is irrelevant, meaning he could talk smack afterwords all he wanted and not be slapped with a law suit or get the boot.

He couldn't have had to much character and integrity or if it was that lousy he would've left before fulfilling his contract obligations and with a law suit.

However, those two albums and tours sure made Billy and Steve overnight household musical names.
                Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper was very good to them both.
                Billy didn't play on the second album/tour, it was Matt Bissonette

Comment

Sorry, thanks Rupe for pointing it out.
                  My bad, he did play on the Skyscraper CD but didn't do the tour.
                  Lucky for him, he got royalties from it.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Hell, I thought I was the only one that still loved this album. Saw the tour as well with Cinderella as opening act. Their performance was amazing, and did bury the VH lineup at the time. I remember thinking that Dave's solo band played the couple of VH tunes they played better than VH themselves.

There's just no end to the great riffs on this album.
                    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Within the last year I downloaded almost every song from both early Roth solo releases and the 2 singles he did (Gigalo and CAGirls). I made a comp. CD and enjoy the crap outta it. Those Vai solos are amazing. The songs are pure entertainment. No politics, no anger, just fun. That's why I started playing in the first place. Not to express bitterness or revolt. I started playing because it looked fun and sounded cool. Good to see I'm not the only guy who loves this old Roth & Vai stuff.
                      BTW - I even added to my CD "A Little Ain't Enough". Jason Becker breathed some new fun into Roth's songs for 1 brief moment. Too brief.

Comment

Jason Becker had so much energy to his playing... I almost crapped myself when I heard this VH cover. Shit recording but, the intro was totally over the top.

-Nate

Last edited by nateb; 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM.
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Great album! I saw both the eat em and skyscraper tours. Poison opened for the skyscraper tour and Cindarella for eat em. DLR band was tight!!!
                          How could you go wrong with that line up?

Comment

Working...
                          X