Downsizing my guitars/rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsizing my guitars/rig

So finally I guess that I have found what I want, what I m looking for So I am selling 3 or 4 of my guitars (I have just sold an Ibanez JS which I didn't like it at all but had it after a trade): Music Man Axis (the neck is great but I have quite big hands so not so comfy for me), Fender USA Deluxe HSS Rosewood (I will certainly buy a strat but I want a maple fingerboard and one with a vintage vibe), my SL2 H (I really like this but I really don't use the floyd)), many pedals that I don't use wahs, distortions, A 50 watt Hughes and Kettner transistor amp. I have also 2 other guitars which I have not yet decided to sell or not. What I want to buy is a Strat (maple, maybe an Eric J model) and either a Gibson LP or a PRS Singlecut. And hopefully an Axe-FX

What do you think? Should I do that? I have too many guitars. It became a luxury for me. And I want a more basic setup. Am I getting old? I've been thinking about that for some time.
    Last edited by Megadeth79; 09-28-2010, 03:54 AM.

nah, you aren't getting old. i just downsized my live rig also, albeit for practical purposes. i am going from using 3 cabs (2 rivera 1x12 and a mesa 2x12) to a single 4x12, a rack with effects, tuner, power conditioner, noise gate, a 120 watt head to using a regular half stack. my rig was a bit too much, especially considering most sound guys never mixed my wet/dry set up the right way.

now, shoud you do that? well, that is totally up to you. i am not selling anything. luckiky my rig stays at our super-awesome, climate controlled rehearsal space. the biggest thing you should ask yourself is: "will i regret selling any of this?" and "will i ever be able to replace it?"

as far as the "retro" style guitars, if that is what you are feeling then go for it!! i find a lot of players end up moving from the shred guitars to a gibson or fender and seem very content. some mature players grow out of a time period and drift toward classic sounds, others don't. i, personally, only play fender strats at home. onstage, it depends on the bill we are on and if i am gonna use the whammy bar. live, i will go between my PRS and possibly a jackson, but lately i have been using the PRS and a strat.

do what you feel is right. make yourself happy!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I didn't use "metal" guitars from 1999 (disband of death metal band) to about 2006, which is around when I got my model 6 refinned. Then again, I wasn't playing in metal bands at that point. That's when I was (only, I might add) playing my PRS and a strat that I sold in 08. Then I bought a Jackson... Then I bought an ESP... then I needed a custom Jackson.... but in 06 i also bought anoher strat too (my 60th, which I still have). If you're looking for a strat, look for a used 06 60th with maple board, they are wonderful guitars.

EDIT: It should be noted that the 60th anniversay maple fretboard strats are quite rare. There are plenty MIM versions but the one I have is a USA with G&G HSC and everything. If you could settle for rosewood, those seem more common.
      Last edited by Grim; 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth79 View Post
        What do you think?
        I think I like guitars.
        Should I do that?
        It's up to you.
        I have too many guitars.
        Not compared to me.
        It became a luxury for me. And I want a more basic setup. Am I getting old? I've been thinking about that for some time.
        Yes, you are getting old.

I'm up to almost 40 guitars and I still get excited when I see a cool guitar. I love all my guitars. Each one is a little different. I wish I had more graphic finishes. I still need a firecrackle. I saw this killer SL2H custom shop with reverse sharkies, unrecessed floyd, but a reverse headstock. I still troll classifieds and for sales looking to buy more. I spend my free time when on the road looking at pawn shops, GC, Sam Ass. I have a sick addiction

If they don't excite you any more, sell them off and get something you love. You only live once.

Comment

Working...
        X