No announcement yet.

Good bye, Best Buy ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at a house warming party this past Friday for a co-worker. In his bar the previous owner had an 8-Track system built into the wall, hooked up to speakers in the ceiling. Of course he tore it out and replaced it with a newer receiver but the Linda Ronstadt 8-track was still lying around. We found the old system in the garage waiting for garbage day. After some shots and many beers we decided it needed to be sacrificed in the backyard firepit. We never did get around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
      YES, I still have an LP player and two VCRs (the kids have these in their rooms). Does anyone still rock a Betamax or an 8-track player?
      I got a stereo for Christmas like two years ago, and it's got a 3 CD changer, dual cassette deck, AM/FM tuner (not digital), and the LP turntable! Never did have an 8-track or Beta.
      I think the first VCR my parents got back in the '80s was Beta, but I believe it was quickly returned for VHS.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
        Downloads are the way of the future and good biz to be in. It's been my experience in I.T. that people download, enjoy, but never plan for a disaster. When their pc craps out or portable device gets stolen, their movie or song is gone. They whine but in the end are forced to pay again for another download due to their lack of planning. On he other hand, those of us who buy CD's, DVD's, and import to other media, have a hard copy as a backup. If I download, I burn to CD as a backup.
        I also still love to buy CDs and DVDs, burn some stuff to my computer or a backup CD sometimes. The Best Buy over here is pretty big and has a shitload of CDs and DVDs still. Though, I buy most of my stuff from the local record store... www.vvinyl.com
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

buying cd's is great. there's still the thrill of going through the used racks and walking out with
          5 or 6 cd's that that blow your hair back that you just bought for 3.00 each that you
          can't believe you found.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I can never find shit in the used CD racks. And lots of places want 7-10 for a used CD. No thanks - not worth my time or effort to dig through cd racks that aren't in alpha order. Much easier for me to find online and D/L. Also - CD's just take up space. I've got a book of them + several manilla envelopes full of CD's that I have in storage. What a waste.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I got a stereo for Christmas like two years ago, and it's got a 3 CD changer, dual cassette deck, AM/FM tuner (not digital), and the LP turntable! Never did have an 8-track or Beta.
              I think the first VCR my parents got back in the '80s was Beta, but I believe it was quickly returned for VHS.
              When I was shopping for a car this spring, I laughed when the salesman touted the 6-disc CD changer. I said, "really? People still use CDs?"
              Blank yo!

Comment

well Turk,
                i have a very very wide and expanded taste in music, not saying you don't,
                but being that i find so many different types of music real catchy, that may
                make my shopping for cd's and finding what i consider gems a little easier.
                i'm also 79 years old don't forget. i'll listen to anything that pleases my ear.
                super funk hits of the 70's for 3.00 is something that makes my dick real hard.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I agree. I love the format and having the liner notes, etc. I love everything about cds.
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                    well Turk,
                    i have a very very wide and expanded taste in music, not saying you don't,
                    but being that i find so many different types of music real catchy, that may
                    make my shopping for cd's and finding what i consider gems a little easier.
                    i'm also 79 years old don't forget. i'll listen to anything that pleases my ear.
                    super funk hits of the 70's for 3.00 is something that makes my dick real hard.

Yeah... obviously I'm a lot more discriminating. I'll even talk myself out of buying a used CD when I find one - especially when they have a "5 for $10" deal and I only find 2.

Blank yo!

Comment

With the exception of a VERY small used store near me, there's nothing except pawn shops(and I quit going into those years ago). I usually don't mind paying full price for a CD, I like the lyrics/photo's/artwork/etc.. I understand the clutter factor that having a few thousand cd's can create, it's almost the size of a bookshelf.

The whole digital only thing is great for some people, however sometimes it's nice to turn off the computer and just unwind to some tunes ...
                      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I love record stores, I could spend hours in them. Great places to meet people and discuss about music and get to know cool releases/artists you didn't knew before. Also the owners usually make great deals for those who hang out in their stores a lot. I don't mind CD's but I love vinyls for their crispy sound and since most of the stuff I like is pretty old (mostly from 60's and early 70's), I gotta consider that the artists back then made their albums with the intent of them being played on the vinyls, and indeed those old LP's bring out much more nuances than any other format. I recently brought Wayne Shorter's "Adam's Apple" LP which featured Herbie Hancock, it has such an incredible sound but I can't listen to it on CD or MP3 anymore as a lot of the magic seems to be lost on those.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                          The whole digital only thing is great for some people, however sometimes it's nice to turn off the computer and just unwind to some tunes ...
                          I can do that with my iPhone - just plug it into a stereo and boom - my entire (mostly) music collection at my fingertips blasting out of my stereo, or my car, or where ever.

Check this - I pop my "metal" iPod into my alarm clock, and every morning I get to wake up to whatever rocking metal tune I want simply by setting the iPod the night before - boom! 16 GB of metal to get mne out of bed in the morning. This morning I think it was Lucretia or Take No Prisoners - definately something off Rust in Peace.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Well, there are still a LOT of people who cannot afford/do not have the means of digital downloads..they should always have the option to be able to access what they want. I have a friend in Missouri, that although she managed to buy a cheap used computer, lives out in the sticks and STILL can only get dial up. Remember that stuff? Try downloading ONE song...check back next week lol

She buys CD's and DVD's.

Comment

I also have a friend that moved to Missouri. I no longer speak to him.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X