Most Over-rated Guitarists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Over-rated Guitarists

Forgive me if this has been done before, but who are some guitarists you consider overrated? Three that I immediately think of are:

Jimi Hendrix: I am obviously missing something because everyone talks about his grandeur, but all I hear is sloppy playing and terrible tone.

Kurt Cobain: I see him on almost every list of great guitarists. Really...?

Kirk Hammett: I love old school metallica but he loves his wah pedal too much and many of his solos sound similar and boring. There are some exceptions, but for the most part...
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Burn suit dawned: EVH
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

That boney-faced guy from Bionic Monks...
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        That boney-faced guy from Bionic Monks...
        I havent even been rated yet, but thanks! Now Ive just got to work on the under paid part. Heh heh, boney faced. Yes, my facial structure is rather skeletal.
        Last edited by Twitch; 10-15-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

people don't hear things the same way. that's what makes music great.
          Twitch, try out Axis Bold as Love by Jimi. If you don't like the tone on that album,
          well, then he definitely is not for you then. And that's cool and the gang, they're your ears after all right?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

The most overrated thing is the critical thought of an average music listener and a hobby musician, the logic behind how someone is being labeled as overrated is often embarrassing and nothing more than just "what I don't like = overrated". You rarely see serious artists putting these labels on anyone.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It took me many years to finally "get" Hendrix, but I'm not fond of all his music.
              The one that bewilders me is Carlos Santana. I really do not understand why he's held in such esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                people don't hear things the same way. that's what makes music great.
                Twitch, try out Axis Bold as Love by Jimi. If you don't like the tone on that album,
                well, then he definitely is not for you then. And that's cool and the gang, they're your ears after all right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uZufnbkpw
                I dont ,mind Jimi what so ever. Hey Joe is one of my favorites. I like Hendixs grooves. Also, I wasnt sayin EVH sucks, just over rated as a guitar god. There were plenty of other guitarists in his day that were just as good or better. I dont understand why he gets all the hype.
                Last edited by Twitch; 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Rusty Drooley
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                    It took me many years to finally "get" Hendrix, but I'm not fond of all his music.
                    The one that bewilders me is Carlos Santana. I really do not understand why he's held in such esteem.
                    yes, I don't get santana as well...
                    also clapton, though I like him and dig some of his compositions, is IMO far from beeing the guitar-god many people think he is.
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                      Also, I wasnt sayin EVH sucks, just over rated as a guitar god. There were plenty of other guitarists in his day that were just as good or better. I dont understand why he gets all the hype.
                      :think: Who?

When it comes to innovation on electric guitar no one comes close.

Comment

Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, just to name a couple.

Comment

John Mayer
                          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I dont ,mind Jimi what so ever. Hey Joe is one of my favorites. I like Hendixs grooves. Also, I wasnt sayin EVH sucks, just over rated as a guitar god. There were plenty of other guitarists in his day that were just as good or better. I dont understand why he gets all the hype.
                            My mistake, I meant to put that up for M-78's first post, woops, I was a on another planet last night after the yanks comeback win.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, just to name a couple.
                              All of these players admit to being heavily influenced by EVH. They owe him a lot. EVH owes them nothing. So how are they better than Eddie? BTW: I'm not a huge EVH fan, but I do recognize him as one of the great innovators on the instrument.

Comment

Working...
                              X