No announcement yet.

Most Over-rated Guitarists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De Martini...never understood the fuss over his playing in comparision to other guys from the day...he never did anything for me as far as soloing goes really, good player but way overrated
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      What? Jimi is sounds outside-of-the-box now more than ever, what guitarists today are writing songs like "1983" or "Third Stone From The Sun" or doing such an experimental production as on Electric Ladyland.
      No shit. I better stay out of this thread.

I mean, what makes a guitarist over-rated anyway? Because he doesn't play fast enough? Or because all he can do is play fast?
      It's all bullshit. It's about songs and what is pleasing to your ear, and nobody is gonna change your mind. I am not a big fan of
      a lot of new music, but like it or not, there are kids today that are getting the same jacked up amazing feeling from these new bands
      that I did from Van halen when they first came out when I was young.
      Another example- Shawn thinks De Martini is over rated. i think he was Ratt all by himself, but there's gonna be plenty who disagree.
      I've stopped arguing about music, it's really silly. Everyone has their favorites, and the ones they don't like. Anyway, keep your ears open and try and get something out of any kind of artist you possibly can.
      To your television sets people!!! It's Sunday bitches!!!!!!
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

exactly Tommy. Everyone has a different opinion on what good is or what their ears like to hear. Its all subjective and no right or wrong. I personally hate blues based soloing in hard rock and metal. Whenever anyone whips out a pentatonic scale in metal setting it makes me cringe. Others love it...to each his own.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
          The one that bewilders me is Carlos Santana. I really do not understand why he's held in such esteem.
          If you can get past the crappy tone, mediocre playing, and poor songwriting, he's pretty awesome.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

On a serious note, my list of the most overrated includes:

Carlos Santana (see above).
            Steve Vai - Great technical player, but I hate the stuff he plays.
            Jimmy Page - Great songwriter, slop-job guitarist.
            Kirk Hammett - Nasally tone, awful vibrato, poor note selection.
            Jeff Beck - I'm allergic to jazz.
            Jimi Hendrix - My jury is out on this one. Technically speaking, he's very overrated, but the overall presentation influenced millions.
            PowerTube - Slightly overrated, but still the best tone and longest schlong in the industry.
            Eric Clapton - The extended soloing thing has been greatly overdone. Once had a decent tone.
            George Lynch - Never liked his tone or playing.
            Robert Johnson - Sounded like a drunk.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
              Joe Satriani.

Never have I heard such bland tone and soloing be praised so highly. He is a phenomenal musician no doubt, he knows his shit, he's a great teacher, he's a good song writter, but his solo's are uninspiring and very bland.

Not hating, because I do like a few of his songs, but the amount of praise he gets is ridiculous.
              I don’t think shred was all that popular even in the 80’s. The excitement surrounding it had to do with people creating new techniques or pushing beyond the limitations of players who were current at that time. Satriani created music that was more artistic than technical and that appealed to a lot of players who were bored with technique. Satch isn’t a very good technician as far as I’m concerned either, but that’s not what his music is about

Last edited by Trussrod; 10-17-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                I mean, what makes a guitarist over-rated anyway?
                I guess I mean a guitarist that a lot of people "ooh" and "aah" over and you (whomever is answering the qustion) don't understand why. This is a strickly opinionated thread and not meant to be anything else.
                "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Ritchie Sambora
                  Joe Perry
                  Mick Mars

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    On a serious note, my list of the most overrated includes:

Carlos Santana (see above).
                    Steve Vai - Great technical player, but I hate the stuff he plays.
                    Jimmy Page - Great songwriter, slop-job guitarist.
                    Kirk Hammett - Nasally tone, awful vibrato, poor note selection.
                    Jeff Beck - I'm allergic to jazz.
                    Jimi Hendrix - My jury is out on this one. Technically speaking, he's very overrated, but the overall presentation influenced millions.
                    Grim - Slightly overrated, but still the best tone and longest schlong in the industry.
                    Eric Clapton - The extended soloing thing has been greatly overdone. Once had a decent tone.
                    George Lynch - Never liked his tone or playing.
                    Robert Johnson - was a drunk.
                    Fixed.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

That peroxide-smellin' douche from Poison... Sissy TheDil
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Esteban.

Comment

Working...
                        X