Did a comparison of some pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a comparison of some pups

Changing some pups in 1 guitar ,just the color not the model ,but I wanted to make sure I wanted the same pup. I had a JB , a tonezone , and a super 3 in 3 guitars all floyded bolt ons with maple fretboards and alder bodies. Basically identical except for the colors ,going thru a Randall rm22 Mr Scary module with all controls at 12 except for the gain was at 2 oclock. Cab was a 2-12 Splawn with sb 65's which is the greenback clone but rated at 55 watts instead of 25.
    Im just sharing my thoughts in case anyone is wondering about getting these pickups.
    My take is probably not popular HERE but I'm staying with the JB. I've played these guitars in my old band and the jb just cuts the best. If you are playing in a band the jb would be my first choice. It gets real mean sounding if you need it to and each note in a solo is heard ,no mush. Doesnt have the bass of the other 2 but in a band context you are ok. Also when I switched to the Grail module the bass was enough.
    The super 3 is definitly the best if you are playing at home with no one else. Nice bass response and hi gain sounding. Couldnt tame it much ,maybe the ceramic magnet, and the notes were a little bit together in a solo not so individual. Good for players that are sloppy or for slow players. Nice chug but if you play more then 2 notes in a chord you might not hear all of them.
    The tonezone was sorta in between these 2 to my ears. Coulda been ear fatique as I was getting tired after 90 minutes of back and forth but it had nice bass response and better note clarity for solos. Everytime I played it I said yea these notes are clear until I went back to the JB and said nah we have a winner. Seems the super 3 and tonezone are definitly more modern metal sounding but with my amp having so much gain I dont need it in a pickup.
    Bottom line I was surprised I thought Id be picking up a dimarzio but I like the jb best . Been playing it so long I could be used to the tones but I like the midrange aggresion I can get and the clarity.
    One thing I had to do was turn down the gain to 12 oclock to sorta equal the jb with the other 2 so theres definitly a whole lotta gain in these dimarzios ,something most players nowadays might not need with the hi gain heads out there. Just my 2 cents folks I figured I share my thoughts ,ofcourse they are my ears so someone else may hear different but Im sticking with the jb jazz as my choice.

try a Crunch lab

Please?

I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
    X