Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer issues

Help!

My desk computer had been logging on to the internet just fine. Now Aol and Explorer both say I have no high speed connection service. My wireless router icon shows on the tool bar and indicates a very good signal. My laptop on the other hand logs on with no problems. Any suggestion on how to solve this mystery?

Hmn, ping a website in your console - if it comes back with a connection then maybe best do a virus check, just in case.
    If that comes clean, reboot, try web again, if nothing, Install Firefox and see if that works.

Comment

Dont know about AIM, but Explorer could be looking for a proxy sever, Press ALT key, select tools/internet options/connections/LAN settings and look at the bottom of the window and see if "use a proxy server for your LAN" box is checked, if so un-check it.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Or disconnect and reconnect your network connection.

Comment

I've seen malware/ spyware change the internet connection settings to use a Proxy. I assume you have a PC running Windows XP/ Vista/ Windows 7. Go to the Control Panel and check the Internet options, make sure that the use proxy settings is not checked. Also run a system scan; MBAM is a good free one we use a lot at work.

Comment

If the proxy doesn't do it, check to make sure your computer is getting an IP address. It should start with 192.168. If it's something else, then your router isn't giving it an IP, or it somehow got reset to not look for an IP.
            Scott

Comment

Most infections that change proxy settings make themselves known. I would reset your router and modem and try again.

Then I would check the proxy settings. If you are unsure how:

Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and make sure that the box that says "Use Proxy Server on LAN" is unchecked.

Then scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. www.malwarebytes.org (Download the free version, update it and do a quick scan. If it finds something, abort the scan and start a full scan)

To check for an IP address, go to run and type in "cmd.exe" without quotes. Then type "ipconfig" without quotes.

Alternatively, if you are on 7 or Vista, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and type "ipconfig"
              Last edited by Grim; 11-14-2010, 10:37 PM.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I love how everyones reiterating the same thing and he hasn't been back to the thread yet. Basically what i began to have him to do in the first place and then we'd go from there but he never came back. Main advice would be get the hell rid of Aol and IE explorer

Since i have used firefox, no script and free avast, with an occasional bi annual sweep with malwarebytes, super antispyware and spysweeper (each will sometimes find stuff the other two will not and they are all free) i haven't had a virus, trojan or otherwise in years.
                I attribute most of that to firefox and noscript tho, cause all the other shit comes up clean everytime i run em except for tracking cookies,..mmm cookies..you know when all the flash banners seem to be trying to sell you a pair of pants, and ironically you were looking for a pair of pants last week or something... bastards are watching you.

Comment

^ Trem, I've used IE since version 4 and have never gotten a virus or malware. It's all about common sense. With UAC in Vista and Win7 you will always know when something is trying to install itself. If you don't know what it is, click No.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                    I love how everyones reiterating the same thing and he hasn't been back to the thread yet. Basically what i began to have him to do in the first place and then we'd go from there but he never came back. Main advice would be get the hell rid of Aol and IE explorer

Since i have used firefox, no script and free avast, with an occasional bi annual sweep with malwarebytes, super antispyware and spysweeper (each will sometimes find stuff the other two will not and they are all free) i haven't had a virus, trojan or otherwise in years.
                    I attribute most of that to firefox and noscript tho, cause all the other shit comes up clean everytime i run em except for tracking cookies,..mmm cookies..you know when all the flash banners seem to be trying to sell you a pair of pants, and ironically you were looking for a pair of pants last week or something... bastards are watching you.
                    That stems from search terms, not spyware installed on your computer. IE is fine, but Firefox is much more secure. I would reccomend Chrome. It doesn't do everything the others do but it is as fast as IE and almost as fast as firefox.

If you haven't had a problem in years, how can you tell that MBAM, SUPER and Sweeper all find different things? MBAM is indeed a great program and so is SUPER but all 3 are not needed.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      That stems from search terms, not spyware installed on your computer. IE is fine, but Firefox is much more secure. I would reccomend Chrome. It doesn't do everything the others do but it is as fast as IE and almost as fast as firefox.

If you haven't had a problem in years, how can you tell that MBAM, SUPER and Sweeper all find different things? MBAM is indeed a great program and so is SUPER but all 3 are not needed.
                      Grim, what makes FF more secure? IE7+ has way better security built-in, at least on Vista and Win7. It runs in a sandbox, so anything in a page can't access anything on your PC. If you do happen to install something bad, it needs your explicit permission before it can modify anything out of your user space.

Back when it was Firefox vs IE6, Firefox blew it out of the water. IE had lots of security vulnerabilities that Firefox blocked. But since IE7, those vulnerabilities have been closed. The only advantage these days to running Firefox is the large add-on community.

Chrome is fast for Javascript, but that's about it. And Google uses it to track your browsing. No thanks.
                      Scott

Comment

Sorry, for disappearing but I had to leave to do family stuff and the lap top is my daughters who is in the middle of a term paper. I am at work now and I will try these suggestions once I get home tonight. Thank You to all who have responded.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post

The last big trojan and virus i did get i had to use all three each found stuff the other did not, as well as hijack this - it was a bitch, so i've just kept them all installed since then. Usually a single good anti-vir will be enough, but if something gets past and doesn't reveal itself right away it can let other stuff through. I can tell you from multiple experience each of those programs can root out stuff the other may not, i've used them while cleaning up on other people's computers as well for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            Grim, what makes FF more secure? IE7+ has way better security built-in, at least on Vista and Win7. It runs in a sandbox, so anything in a page can't access anything on your PC. If you do happen to install something bad, it needs your explicit permission before it can modify anything out of your user space.

Back when it was Firefox vs IE6, Firefox blew it out of the water. IE had lots of security vulnerabilities that Firefox blocked. But since IE7, those vulnerabilities have been closed. The only advantage these days to running Firefox is the large add-on community.
                            That's good to know, not that i put much stock in ms for security, lol, but that's cool.
                            I haven't used IE in forever, and i'm still holding out on going to win7 win8 win10 whatever till xp just plain won't work anymore, lol. I don't like what they've done with windows at all as far as interface and usability, unless they make it more open and moddable which i doubt, i'm on xp indefinitely. I haven't payed any attention to win7 other than seeing it on others pc, looks like vista no thanks.

Comment

At home I use Opera and don't seem to ever run in to problems. Mouse gestures rock if you are a multi-tasking browser too.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X