Playing with my new camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with my new camera

So I've been using a Nikon D70 since they were first introduced. Recently I have had the itch to upgrade even though the D70 is still perfectly capable of taking great pictures. Newer cameras are just so much better in low light, plus the built in video capability is kind of cool too. (Not really an actual selling point for me though.)

Nikon just introduced their new D7000 and they are coming in around $1200-$1400 for the body only. It's more than I want to spend for a camera body upgrade at this point. So I did the next best thing and jumped on a D90 since Nikon dropped the price on them significantly. (Under $800)

It's a really nice upgrade from the D70 since it's operationally very similar, just better at everything. That just comes with being more mature technology. Anyways, I have always wanted to get a good shot that captures the pearl inlay on my RR1T, so I threw on my 50mm F1.8 lens settled on around F2.8. Shot handheld at ISO 400, 1/15sec. I was practicing my sniper breathing and finally got a pretty sharp one.

Click the link for the 1800x1200 shot. http://members.shaw.ca/hellbat/headstock.jpg

Sorry about the dust and not getting the full guitar Ron!
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

D90 for the win. Totally dig mine, bought about 1.5 yr ago.

D7000 is nice, but pricey being new. Only things I really admire about it are true mirror lock up and built in intervalometer. There was something else, but has since faded into memory. Video upgrades I dont care about.

Just hunting glass now. 50 f1.8 soon since it's pretty damn cheap compared to everything else.
    Currently 18-105mm VR kit, 70-300mm VR and 35mm f1.8

Comment

Yeah I have similar kit. 24-120VR, 70-300VR, 50mm f1.8

My favorite is the 70-300VR, it's friggin SHARP. I've taken killer waterskiing/tubing/wakeboarding pictures with it. This one is my buddy Paul, from this past summer. It was kind of a hazy day due to weather and forest fire activity.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

wow. those pictures are great!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Looks tight man.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          plus the built in video capability is kind of cool too. (Not really an actual selling point for me though.)
          I personally don't see much point of video option in big ass digital SLR's anymore unless they are like Canon 5D Mk II. For a photo camera it's the beez kneez for flicks. Being a die hard film fan (specially 70mm) I was truly amazed how good it is when a friend of mine showed it to me in his studio. I'm not sure if Nikon is working on something similar to compete with Canon in that department.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I believe the D7000 has better video capabilities but Nikon is a little behind Canon in the video department. I'm a stills guy and prefer the Nikon system and ergonomics though, besides being too lazy/cheap to replace all my glass hehe.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
            X