Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando forumites, I'm looking for your advice

Hey Orlando guys, I need some advice.

I'm planning a family trip early January in Orlando. This time no Disney (that was last year's trip), we're looking at seeing Universal Studios, some shopping, going to Cape Canaveral & see the beaches (I bet it's too cold for swimming?) but would be cool to at least to have a good walk near the ocean.

Any advice? Places we should see? Restos we should eat at?

We found a resort with a decently priced family suite (3 bedrooms) for quite cheap in the Lake Buena Vista area.

Hope to hear from some of you.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

My wife and I are also planning to go down to check out the new Harry Potter thing this February.

Another question for the Florida guys - could the Everglades be done in a day trip, or is it a better idea to get a place to stay in Miami?
    Scott

Comment

benoa....if you aren't hitting disney then you seem to have it covered. how long are you staying? the atlantic coast and cape canaveral are just far enough away from orlando to be a day trip each. as far as beaches, it would depend on what you want - touristy tackiness or peace and quiet. if you want the former, i'd say hit daytona beach - it is also the easiest to get to from orlando....just hop on I-4 and go east.

another thing you should see, if you don't mind traveling a couple hours north is St. Augustine. it is a really cool place. the fountain of youth is there, there is an old spanish fort from the 1500's....it is neat if you like history. i am heading over there next week to stay for 5 days and hang out.

spiv - the everglades is more than a day trip. the drive down there is kinda brutal, plus everglades national park is huge!!! one place of note in the everglades area is belle glades. it used to be (maybe still is) the highest AIDS infected "city" in the US. if you like to take dumb pictures, it is a cult photo op to pose near the belle glades city sign, hahaha....

hope this helps, guys.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Is Miami a good base for the Everglades? There's not a whole lot there that we'd be interested in, but we are going to try to catch a Flyers/Panthers game.
        Scott

Comment

miami is still sort of far off from the everglades. not too bad, but there are some places that might be closer. here is a link to check out:

http://florida-everglades.com/stay.htm

as far as catching games in miami, maybe just cruise down there from a base closer to the everglades....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            benoa....if you aren't hitting disney then you seem to have it covered. how long are you staying? the atlantic coast and cape canaveral are just far enough away from orlando to be a day trip each. as far as beaches, it would depend on what you want - touristy tackiness or peace and quiet. if you want the former, i'd say hit daytona beach - it is also the easiest to get to from orlando....just hop on I-4 and go east.

another thing you should see, if you don't mind traveling a couple hours north is St. Augustine. it is a really cool place. the fountain of youth is there, there is an old spanish fort from the 1500's....it is neat if you like history. i am heading over there next week to stay for 5 days and hang out.
            Thanks markD!!! We're planning 6 full days (7 nights) then the other days are for the airport/plane stuff.

I like the idea about St-Augustine. Wife is planning the whole trip so I'll share this with her.
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

no problem!! FL has so much to do and it is a big state. you will be here long enough to get all that stuff done as long as you don't mind driving. St. Augustine is worth it. it is a great combination of history and old school FL cheesiness.

as far as shopping, there are tons of outlet malls in orlando, and several around st. augustine.

getting everywhere you want to go is pretty easy. it will mostly be highway driving, so it is fast.

if you have any other questions, just ask. i putz all over the state with my girlfriend taking day and weekend trips.....
              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Thanks markD!!!
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                X