Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display issues with Fox?

Anyone else having this problem?

Whenever I'm watching the local Fox channel (especially football), the screen resolution exceeds the TV's capability, but there's no adjustment for the TV that can fix it.

In the case of football, when the scores are shown on the top left of the screen, I can only see the one on the right. No game/play clock, no Down and Yardage, etc.

It's like that on all the tvs in the house, so it's either Fox's signal or the local cable company's translation of it.

Anyone else have this issue?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

are you watching HD in 16:9 or just SD? Maybe they (Fox) are not using 4:3 safe graphics?
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yep... all FOX sports broadcasts are in HD format now.
      So if you're not watching it in HD, it will get chopped.
      They no longer scale the image or graphics for 4:3 screens.
      -Rick

Comment

And not 5 minutes after posting this, the game started and the display was fine

So apparently they fixed their issue, or the local cable provider routed the HD signal through their stepper-downer, I dunno.

But yeah, no HD for me. I have an HD-ready TV but not an HD cable source.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Sounds like your cable provider is doing the scaling. I know FOX doesn't provide an SD signal anymore.
          Does your HD TV have a built-in HD Tuner? Pretty much all of them made in the last 3 years or so have the HD tuner built-in.
          If so, get an HD antennae ($40-$50 for a decent one) and watch the game in HD for free.
          -Rick

Comment

The baseball playoffs & World Series on Fox was what finally pushed us to get HDTVs. We hardly watched any TV and were just going to wait for our old TVs to die before upgrading, but my wife is a baseball nut, and we were watching one night and the score was off the edge of the screen on our regular non-digital Fox station. She went ballistic, so I just went out & got a 47" HDTV & set it up the next day. We watch more TV now, because it really is pretty damned awesome.

Comment

The TV does have HD inputs (Component, HDMI) but the cable itself is not the HD version. I don't run it straight to the TV from the main cable - it goes through the converter (movie channels).

But as I said, it seems they got it fixed.

Comment

Newc you're missing the point.
                See if your TV has a built in HD (ATSC) tuner.
                If it does, you can plug in an HD antennae and get your local HD channels for free.
                That way you can watch the game in full HD and not some squished and resized format.
                You can simply switch between that and cable tv.
                -Rick

Comment

Ah, I get it now. Saw those at WallyWorld the other day. Wondered how rabbit ears could be any better than cable

Comment

Working...
                  X