Anyone else hate being salled, "sir"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else hate being salled, "sir"?

People do it to me all the time and it drives me nuts. I am only 32, although hairline receeding a little and lots of gray... but still... I'm a "dude", not a "sir".
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Ha, ha, I'm sure females hate it I have an older female co-worker (ex smoker) and people call her sir on the phone all the time
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No, sir. It does not bother me at all... Especially when I'm wearing a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        I have an older female co-worker (ex smoker) and people call her sir on the phone all the time
        At my last job, part of the call center was near my workspace. There was one particular call center employee who always liked to address the customer as Sir or Ma'am. One day she gets a person on the line whose phone was breaking up and she couldn't quite hear them. Her conversation was exactly this:
        "I cannot hear you. You're breaking up. I'm going to have to end this call due to a bad connection. And, also, I can't tell if you're a man or a woman."

She was fairly loud...the entire side of our building erupted in laughter simultaneously. WTF? Who says that?

Comment

That's awesome.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I'm fine with pretty much anything except "Hey asshole!"
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

In a formal setting, or if I'm a customer, I expect to be called sir. If not I think the other guy is unprofessional/plain rude.

I call my clients sir/madam, it's simple courtesy. Don't take it personally.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I don't take it personally. I just don’t like it. Makes me think of someone who's about to retire lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  I'm fine with pretty much anything except "Hey asshole!"
                  I bet you get that a lot too

Comment

I work in a call centre. I address the customer as Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss <surname>, unless another agent is calling, in which case, I use only their first name. Some customers like to be called by their first name, some customers call me sir. No big deal. What DOES piss me off is when I'm asked for my name 3 fucking times in the space of 20 seconds when I already gave it at the start of the call. These customer service advisors have brains like goldfish - deaf, irresponsible, stupid, lack product knowledge or even the will to know.. Those staff are primarily only interested in making a sale before dumping the problem/complaint on us
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I get extremely irate when people call me sir. And I carry guns. And I'm off my meds.

Comment

No, sir.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                          anyone else hate being salled "sir".

I do not know.. Ive never been salled before

When it does happen I usually look behind me or around the room /area for a few seconds with a puzzled look on my face & ask who the person is talking to.
                          Last edited by J_A / 540s; 12-29-2010, 11:36 PM.
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

It bothered me once, when I was a kid. Then I moved to an area where the rat race had completely taken over and I seldom hear it unless it's coming from a Telemarketer or someone that's kissing my ass because they want something. Now when I do hear it from someone that's being genuinely respectful (which is rare) it's actually a little refreshing.
                            Those of you who hate it, my guess is, you're still in your 20s. You'll get over yourselves someday, then you'll wonder why you were so uptight about it.
                            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

It's a sign of respect, but if a little punk is doing it, I would be irritated. I'm 18 and call people sir all the time as a sign of respect, but if the person is someone middle-aged, I usually address them without saying sir, just "excuse me" or something to that extent.
                              Ratt & Roll

Comment

Working...
                              X