Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jets tipped their plays on Steelers’ goal-line stand
    Posted by Michael David Smith on January 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
    The Steelers’ goal-line stand against the Jets in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game has been thoroughly discussed, but we should take a moment to mention the great analysis that NFL Network’s Playbook show had of those four plays, when the Jets started with first-and-goal from the 2-yard line and ended up getting stuffed on fourth-and-goal at the 1.

As Playbook demonstrated, the Jets were tipping their plays, especially when right tackle Wayne Hunter lined up in a two-point stance on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line, all but telling Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley that it was a pass, not a run.

“On third-and-1, your right tackle’s in a two-point stance,” Playbook analyst Brian Baldinger said. “Right now, LaMarr Woodley knows you’re not running the ball. You’re not running the ball out of a two-point stance on the goal line. Right there, that’s a dead giveaway. LaMarr Woodley doesn’t charge he just plays the ball and bats it down.”

As our friend Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports has pointed out, the Playbook analysis did a perfect job of illustrating that Woodley looked at Hunter’s stance and immediately knew a pass was coming, and it was easy for Woodley to simply stand there at the line of scrimmage, put his hands up and knock the pass down.

Baldinger also pointed out that on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line, there was a big hole in the middle of the Steelers’ defense — but only for a split-second, and by the time Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson got to the line of scrimmage, the hole was closed. Tomlinson, surprisingly, lined up seven yards behind the line of scrimmage on the play. If he had lined up five yards deep in the backfield, he might have gotten to the hole in time.

On a fourth-and-1 earlier in the same drive, the Jets had gone with an I-formation handoff up the gut to Shonn Greene, and Greene responded by plunging forward for two yards and a first down. Greene also picked up a yard on first-and-goal from the 2-yard line. But with three more tries to get one more yard, the Jets never went to Greene again, instead trying to get too cute with
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

yes we are cryin' more and more as the week goes on. time to let it go.
      hopefully these greedy owners and spoiled players work out these negotiations
      so there is a season next year.

Comment

Tommy, condolences on the loss. IMHO the game was not as close as the score made it seem, though. The Steelers went into a total "play not to lose" strategy for the whole second half. When you make your offense play with one hand tied behind their backs like that, you don't produce any points. You're only shooting to get the occassional first down, not making any turnovers, and staying in bounds to run out as much of the clock as you can. Otherwise, let the defense carry you on to the win. With that strategy, your opponents always score some and make it seem close. And sometimes the opponent pulls it off with a late score at the very end of the game. When they lose games, it is often because they are their own worst enemy with switching over to an overly-conservative offensive strategy after they have the lead. The Steelers do this all the time, and it drives me nukkin' futs.

Hopefully, they leave it all on the field with the Packers. No BS conservative strategies, no hold-backs. Play to win, all 60 mins.

Comment

the jets "played to lose" by not playing at all for the first 30 minutes,
          that's even more frustrating.

Comment

Not trying to rub it in any further but lets not forget that against the Ravens, the Steelers DID comeback from a huge deficit to defeat them. They have shown they can do it either way and thats good to know going into the Super Bowl. I haven't watched football all season long and this past weekend watched two games! WoW!
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Roody,
              The steelers are a great football team, there' no doubt to that statement. But the Ravens were in complete control of that game, and then they started
              the 2nd half with three turnovers in their own zone, they let that game get away. Yes it's a testament to the steelers coming back, but the ravens gagged that one away.

Comment

well this town now in Super Bowl crazed mode

Read a local story that Ricks caberet (owners of numerous tiddy bars in the city and Houston) will increase sales by up to about $2million just because of the Super Bowl being played here...

Pimps/hookers owill do well too but that is undocumented income lol
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                  Roody,
                  The steelers are a great football team, there' no doubt to that statement. But the Ravens were in complete control of that game, and then they started
                  the 2nd half with three turnovers in their own zone, they let that game get away. Yes it's a testament to the steelers coming back, but the ravens gagged that one away.
                  I call bullshit on that. Why were the Ravens in control? Because the Steelers gave them two turnovers in their own red zone in the first half. If the Ravens "gave it away" in the second half then the Steelers "gave it away" in the first half.

Bottom line, Ravens scored 14 points off of two turnovers and the Steelers scored 17 points off of three turnovers...a 3 point differential in a 7 point game. Take all the turnovers away and the Steelers still win by 4.

The Ravens didn't give shit away with a mere net -3 point difference from their gaffs. And 7 of the Ravens points came from a complete fluke play where only one player on the field realized that the play was still live.

Beyond that, the Ravens had 126 total net yards (91 passing, 35 rushing) compared to the Steelers more than double 263 total net yards (192 passing, 71 rushing). First downs? Ravens 12, Steelers 21 Average gain per play? Ravens 2.4, Steelers 3.8 Red Zone efficiency? Ravens 2/3 (66%), Steelers 4/5 (80%) Goal to Go efficiency? Ravens 1/2 (50%), Steelers 3/3 (100%)

The Ravens were beaten in every meaningful facet of that game.

Comment

william,
                    i agree with you all the way, the first half was the most un-steeler like football i've maybe ever seen,
                    the ravens were all over them, Ben was under siege, and the ravens scored opportunistically, not because of anything their
                    offense did. Suisham missing that field goal with under 30 seconds remaining in the first half had the steeler crowd stunned and pissed
                    at the same time. The Steelers got the ball to start the 2nd half, they got 1 first down and then had to punt.
                    all i am saying is that when these two teams play each other, touchdowns are rare and a premium, so with over 30 minutes in the books and up by 2 TD's, I really thought the Ravens were in control of the game and should of won that's all. i thought the Ravens would be able to muster a first down at some point in that half but they couldn't, and they paid for dearly for it. thweir offense was anemic, again that's a testament to the steelers, but up 21-7 and with possession of the ball,
                    i thought they were "in control" of the game at that point. You have to put the steelers away when you can, or else Big ben is gonna come back, that guy is
                    fukkin' great, and fun to watch until he's sticking it up my team's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                      william,
                      i agree with you all the way, the first half was the most un-steeler like football i've maybe ever seen,
                      the ravens were all over them, Ben was under siege, and the ravens scored opportunistically, not because of anything their
                      offense did. Suisham missing that field goal with under 30 seconds remaining in the first half had the steeler crowd stunned and pissed
                      at the same time. The Steelers got the ball to start the 2nd half, they got 1 first down and then had to punt.
                      all i am saying is that when these two teams play each other, touchdowns are rare and a premium, so with over 30 minutes in the books and up by 2 TD's, I really thought the Ravens were in control of the game and should of won that's all. i thought the Ravens would be able to muster a first down at some point in that half but they couldn't, and they paid for dearly for it. thweir offense was anemic, again that's a testament to the steelers, but up 21-7 and with possession of the ball,
                      i thought they were "in control" of the game at that point. You have to put the steelers away when you can, or else Big ben is gonna come back, that guy is
                      fukkin' great, and fun to watch until he's sticking it up my team's ass.
                      I'm with you

Comment

Working...
                      X