Best and Worst stand up comedians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst stand up comedians...

Well, after a weekend of haning with the guys, playing poker, drinking booze, and arguing over which stand up comedians are funny and are not.

To lay out the demographic, 3 of us are in mid to late 30's and the other 2 guys are their mid 20's.

As we were debating about this, one of the 20-somethings actually looks at me and says " What makes you think you know what is funny? " My response was " Well, people pay me to do stand up.....out of everyone here, I am thinking I am probably the most knowledgeable on the subject." So, here are my two lists. Keep in mind, I am not sold on someone who works an gimmick that hits home, I remove that factor and look to see if they are still funny.

Also, keep in mind, I am looking at their impact in the comedic world and their stage presence and persona. The fact they have not done shit in " X " amount of years is not a factor.

The great ones in no paticular order:
    1: Redd Foxx - The King in my eyes. Just straight up raw comedy.
    2: Richard Pryor - Made people think on human interactions.
    3: Sam Kinison - The guy that perfected the cynical mad man comic.
    4: Rodney Dangerfield - Just a straight comedy guy that helped get many comics off the ground.
    5: Eddie Murphy - His delivery is one of the best. His brother Charlie did most of the writing, though.
    6: Dave Chapelle - One of the few guys that does not have a gimmick. His comedy is pure talent.
    7: George Carlin - The thinking mans comic with a sadistic/common sense approach.
    8: Chris Rock - A good political comic. Has the ability to cover many topics rather than just drone on the same thing for over and hour.
    9: Andrew Dice Clay - He pushed the envelope. He was rude, crude and went where most were too scared to go.
    10: Ron White - He is lumped into the "redneck" crew, but, he IS funny.

The worst:
    1: Dane Cook - Guy is horrible. Has no delivery abilities and has a habit of stealing jokes.
    2: Brian Posehn - He looks funny.......thats about it. His niche is that he likes metal. So did Kinison. Kinison was funny. Posehn is not.
    3: Jim Norton - He is like a cheap, Uncle Fester looking, shadow of Dice.
    4: Chris Titus - I really don't have to say anything.......he has done all my work for me.
    5: Jerry Seinfeld - This guy sounds like an old complaining lady trapped in a mans body.
    6: Jim Carrey - Just because you can make a funny face and can fall to the floor and bounce up in less than a second, you think your funny.
    7: Bob Rock - No he is not a comedian per se, however, he must of thought he was when he recorded St.Anger.

Anyone I miss in either category?-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I would add Steven Wright to the list of good comics.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

add steven wright and bill hicks to the greats. i'll keep thinking..
      I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Not sure on the worst cos I tend to forget em. I like your choices and I also enjoy Dave Attel, Jim Gaffigan, and occassionally Nick Depaula. Wanda Sykes has a few funny bits.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Dave Chappell, Eddie Murphy, Jim Gaffigan would be at my top. Paula Poundstone and anyone that had the "white people do this and black people do that" jokes do nothing for me...I know Dave does do that, but he seems more observational than vindictive. Dang his bit about his buddy Chip racing the cops when they were high was funny as hell...
          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I make it no secret that I think Martin Lawrence is as funny as cancer
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'd add Robin Williams, Rodney Dangerfield.

Comment

I believe that I'm the only one in the UK who doesn't find Ricky Gervais even remotely amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                  I believe that I'm the only one in the UK who doesn't find Ricky Gervais even remotely amusing.
                  "No, there is another" (there you go, a sci-fi film ref already)

I used to think Gervais was hilarious when he was on the 11 o' Clock Show, before he did The Office, but I think he's just disappeared up his own arse now. Of course, it may be the way the media put him on a pedestal that makes me think he's not that funny, when he perhaps is, just not pant-wettingly hilarious.

OK, my suggestions, and they will demonstrate that I'm a knuckle-head, but meh, they make me laugh. Especially after a sherbert or two.

1. Roy "Chubby" Brown. Fat fucking bastard.
                  2. Jim Davidson. Say what you like about him being a Tory cunt, and it's trendy to hate him, but it's undeniable that his joke about Chalky on his pushbike being towed by a Transit van is fucking brilliant. Not so long ago it was trendy to sniff at Benny Hill and call him a sexist cunt, but now he's dead everyone seems to have been secret fans. I think the same will be true of old "Nick Nick" - the millions that loved him a few years ago haven't all died off just yet.
                  3. Frankie Boyle. Once again, so many people quick to slate him, but there's a lot of us out here that LAUGH at his show. Plus he says "cunt" a lot on telly, so that's always good.
                  4. Frank Carson. An absolute nutter, a genuine wisecracking machine-gun. Worked on a job where he had to be physically restrained because he wouldn't STFU. It's no act, he's like that all the time.
                  5. Bernard Manning. Just because he said things that no-one else would say out loud, regardless if they were thinking it. Best of it was, it turned out he was of Jewish ancestry! Oh, how I laughed at the joke about the Paki and the goose egg. These days I play it to people and laugh at their reaction to his language, never fails to amuse me seeing someone under the age of 30 hearing Bernard for the first time, you'd think he'd just confessed to killing and buggering children.
                  6. Sam Kinison. You all know how good he was though.

Remember, more beer, more laughter.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Mitch Hedberg, Robert Schimmel, Greg Giraldo...... great dead dudes.
                    I'm really starting to like Doug Stanhope...great twisted shit.
                    Last edited by riffraff; 01-24-2011, 03:50 PM.
                    Why hunt ... when there is no machine gun season?

Comment

Any list of the best comedians should have Bill Hicks on it by default. Surprised no-one has mentioned Billy Connolly - I'm not a massive fan of him, but he's popular..
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Louis CK, Gabriel Iglesias and Jim Jefferies are pretty funny. I also like Eddie Izzard, but understand he isnt for everyone.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Lewis Black, Jim Gaffigan, and Brian Regan.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Most of my faves have been covered, but I'll add a couple. I like Daniel Tosh, but I know not everybody does. David Cross can be funny as shit, but his politics probably rub a lot of guys here the wrong way. My least favorite is probably Larry the Cable Guy. Can't stand him.

Comment

Pablo Fracisco is freakin' hilarious! Here's a clip from one of his specials. I also like Russel Peters, he keeps his jokes more on the clean side but has plenty of jokes about different races and ethnicities. They are definitely worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                              X