Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get signed?

this is a dream every musician has getting signed

do contact a record label, send demo's what?

Originally posted by cheese0tron View Post
    this is a dream every musician has getting signed
    nope
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If I wanted to get signed, I guess the first thing I would do would be make sure my sound is like everything else I hear on the radio.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

You have never wanted to be signed and have like a platnum record and go on tour?

Comment

i can tell you how to not get signed, write great songs.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Getting signed is overrated.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I'm signing nothin'!
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                Getting signed is overrated.
                it doesn't seem to carry as much weight as it used to does it?
                maybe that's because i am 45 and crumbling though.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                  it doesn't seem to carry as much weight as it used to does it?
                  maybe that's because i am 45 and crumbling though.
                  I got signed, yet here I am instead of in a hot tub with groupies.

In the name of being helpful, here are the steps to getting signed.

1. Form a kick ass band with some stand-out personalities and players
                  2. Write some good songs
                  3. Get a capable manager to handle business
                  4. Play everywhere and anywhere
                  5. Record a good quality promo containing 5-6 of the songs you consider your best
                  6. Contact every lable under the sun with your promo and hope that someone is interested
                  7. Keep playing shows and hope that people are interested
                  8. Step up with the songwriting
                  9. Repeat steps 5-8 ad infinitum

If you are talented, hardworking and lucky you get a record deal, then you have to work even harder and pray to your deity of choice that your album will sell.
                  Last edited by levantin; 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM.
                  I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

It's easy, all you have to do is just start asking stupid questions on message boards.

Comment

If you can promote yourself, you might be better off using stuff like tunecore or CD Baby. You'll get more money for your tunes.
                      '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                      '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                      '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                      '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                      '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                      '13 Gibson M-III
                      Taylor 214CE
                      Dean 6-string Bass
                      Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                        I got signed, yet here I am instead of in a hot tub with groupies.

In the name of being helpful, here are the steps to getting signed.

1. Form a kick ass band with some stand-out personalities and players
                        2. Write some good songs
                        3. Get a capable manager to handle business
                        4. Play everywhere and anywhere
                        5. Record a good quality promo containing 5-6 of the songs you consider your best
                        6. Contact every lable under the sun with your promo and hope that someone is interested
                        7. Keep playing shows and hope that people are interested
                        8. Step up with the songwriting
                        9. Repeat steps 5-8 ad infinitum

If you are talented, hardworking and lucky you get a record deal, then you have to work even harder and pray to your deity of choice that your album will sell.
                        This is not helping, this is a formula for good bands, good bands don't get signed anymore-lol
                        They have been run out of the music business.

Comment

Record labels are a dying breed. Publish your stuff on iTunes and play gigs anywhere that will take you. Build up enough of a following and the labels will come to you.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by cheese0tron View Post
                            You have never wanted to be signed and have like a platnum record and go on tour?
                            What has getting signed to a label have to do with touring? Touring makes money for musicians, signed to a label makes you pay for the label. Label finances your recording, promotion and distribution. They want that money back with interests. Also they'll own your music. These days they even stick their nose into touring and merchandising, the fields which make money for the musicians.
                            The only reasonable thing to do with a label is to buy for service of distributing your albums. Getting signed could also mean that the label dictates how you should make your music. The rock'n'roll days are over. No one is going to be like Led Zeppelin, owning endless amounts of sport cars and châteaus. If you have a rockband, are really good or have a certain niche and have a big audience then you just might earn your living only doing that but don't expect anything more. There are so many bands and musicians out there these days. The industry and how people use music has totally changed.

Here's some advice from someone who's been in the biz for more than 50 years.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJxc3Lxn4o

If you still want to sign then you have to be marketable. Make memorable songs and build a big fan-base. Prove that to a record label. Send promo packs to a lot of labels. The package has to be well designed, there should be short and interesting introduction to your band, there should be at least one photo of your band made by a real photographer not by your girlfriend. And of course a CD with two or tree tunes which have the best hooks. Also web pages, myspace, facebook, youtube etc. And everything which shows that you are a good live act which attracts big crowds.
                            You can also sign to a small label which is much easier to do. Smaller labels don't dictate you but they still own your music. Also, the small labels don't have the money to make a lot of promotion and ads for your band.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

publishing rights? do we need those? nah, you can have them, as long as you promise to pay
                              for any lamps we may break in the motels we stay in..

Comment

Working...
                              X