youngsters these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youngsters these days...

this evening, a couple kids show up at the house to hang out with my 15yr. old step-daughter. I go back to the bedroom and start noodling around on one of my guitars. I turn around this kid is standing in the door and asks me if I play guitar....? I didn't say anything smart-assed but he gets to talking about all these new bands and I've never heard of most of 'em. Turns out, he plays also. I hand him my guitar and he looks puzzled because it's tuned to E. He tells me he can't play in E. ??? So, I unlock the nut and let him detune it. He then starts playing some pretty good rhythm stuff....with one finger. Now, it dawns on me that I could impress a lot more people if I would learn more drop D stuff. It's way easier. I mean, he was playing some pretty cool stuff. He asked me If I knew a song (forgot what it was) and I said yeah, but it's mostly power chords. He says, "power chords?" Wow.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Good one quadperson! Thanks for sharing.

My 15 years old son plays classical (at school) and started electric bass a couple of months ago. One of his friend is a very good player for a 15 years old and the kid is fascinated by all the gear I have in my small basement room.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yeah, a lot of the Guitar Hero generation when they go to a real guitar like to use the Drop-D because it lets them play simple one finger power chords and riffs based around them. then learning a song is just like learning the buttons on a guitar controller. At least the music video games help develop the right hand and gives them a decent sense of rhythm, since you score higher the tighter you play. Ask him to play a Gsus4 chord or a A#add9 and watch the look of WTF quickly jump on his face as his mind is blown away by the concept of fretting some strings while leaving others open.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I play D standard. I find drop is easier in general, but some guys who play drop can clearly play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4Rn...feature=relmfu
        I like EL34s.

Comment

we play in E but have a few songs in drop D. it's fun. we call it our "heavy stuff". that's WHY we wrote in drop D, haha. sometimes we play with young bands and EVERYTHING is tuned down to D or even C#....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Ask him to play a Gsus4 chord or a A#add9 and watch the look of WTF quickly jump on his face as his mind is blown away by the concept of fretting some strings while leaving others open.
            G sus what?
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

As a 21-year old guitar player, I know what you.re talking about. The only players I like are guys from the late 70s/80s- VH, Akira Takasaki, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, etc. All the kids in my generation want to hear cookie-monster growls and guitars dropped 30 octaves below E.

I HATE IT!

I never go below E-flat. That's how a REAL man plays his gee-tar!

Comment

Originally posted by kamalayka View Post
                All the kids in my generation want to hear cookie-monster growls and guitars dropped 30 octaves below E.
                You need to listen to some Sadistic Intent or something.

Originally posted by kamalayka View Post
                I never go below E-flat. That's how a REAL man plays his gee-tar!
                Bullshit, there's a shitload of extreme Metal guitarists who tune lower than Eb and are really fucking talented players. What does tuning have to do with it? Sometimes the music DEMANDS a lower tuning.

Having said that, personally i hate drop-D tuning because i think it's 'cheating' but i understand why people use it
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'm with Devotee on the "cheating" thing, drop tuning is usually used by dickhead kids who are more concerned with having their guitar slung down around their knees than, ya know, actually playing a proper power chord (or anything more complicated than one).
                  That said, what a guitar is tuned to has jackshit to do with the players actual ability........in fact i'd dare say most metal players these days are at least tuned to d, if not lower...it just sounds heavier

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    G sus what?
                    that's one o' them fancy Van Halen chords, where's you pop your pinky down on top of the barre chord youse is currently playing
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X