Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Vai's Tone Sucks.

First I'll say that Vai is my absolute FAVORITE guitarist... BUT,

I find myself listening to his music (especially the later stuff) and really wishing that I could twist the knobs on his amp. I just cant figure out what it is. My guess is that it is just over processed or eq'd???? Early stuff.. like Flexable and the DLR solo albums sound great to me though.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Anything pre '95ish was awesome, after that his sound changed
    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
      Early stuff.. like Flexable and the DLR solo albums sound great to me though.
      back when he was using Jacksons & Charvels?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

i think PAW sounds good tonewise

Comment

Yeah he does get up into that wah pedal pretty hard of late

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
            First I'll say that Vai is my absolute FAVORITE guitarist... BUT,

I find myself listening to his music (especially the later stuff) and really wishing that I could twist the knobs on his amp. I just cant figure out what it is. My guess is that it is just over processed or eq'd???? Early stuff.. like Flexable and the DLR solo albums sound great to me though.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
            No sir, i'm on the same page. He's such a ridiculously great player that he can play through anything,
            but even Eat 'Em and Smile i thought could have had a better tone too. And maybe it's just because my ears hear it that way,
            but I would love to have him plug in, and let me dial in his sound -lol
            Seriously, i am with you on this , i never liked his tone, at least when it came to the hard rock stuff.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Ibanez.

You may now lock this thread.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                Ibanez.

You may now lock this thread.

I like Andy Timmons' tone. And George Benson's...
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  I like Andy Timmons' tone. And George Benson's...
                  So do I G.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I saw him live in the late 90's I think and he sounded great...

I can't honestly say I've ever heard anything he's recorded since Flexable. :think:

Comment

Awesome player. Love Vai. One of the worst tones in rock guitar, though, IMHO. And I consider myself reasonably forgiving when it comes to famous guitarists' tone.

I think Zappa might've said it best to him: "Your playing is really great, but your tone sounds like an electric ham sandwich".

Amazingly, his tone still sucks all these years later.

Comment

But then it's his tone. Maybe he hears it differently than we do, or any mic known to man, or any recording engineer. Hell, maybe that's the best tone that works with Eventide gear.

At least he has a unique tone.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          At least he has a unique tone.
                          I always thought he sounded very similar to Joe Satriani.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

nah, to me satch is more "nasal" whereas vai has more "fluidity". personally, i stopped listening to vai after "alien love secrets," but i love the tones on "passion and warfare."
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

IDK, I've only got two Satch CDs and a lot more Vai, but I think Fire Garden was the last thing I got from him. Haven't listened to either in awhile, but I remember certain things of theirs sounding very similar.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X