For My Fellow Lefties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For My Fellow Lefties

Sometimes it can suck being a left-handed guitarist. We never get any of the cool guitars that righties take for granted. (I want a left-handed Jackson Warrior sooo bad!)

Anywho, here are some cool facts about us lefties I found online:

People who are left handed make up about 5-15% of the population

Lefties are relatively numerous among creative men

Lefties are relatively numerous among children rated as having an IQ higher than 131

Lefties are relatively numerous among individuals who are good at music and maths

Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right.

There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left-handed

Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child)

Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.

Left-handers excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing

Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers

4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh (Apple) computer were left-handed

1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed – 250% more than the normal level.

Almost 40% of the top tennis pros are left-handed

Left handed people are three times more likely than right handed people to become alcoholics (scientists speculate that it is because the right hemisphere of the brain has a lower tolerance for alcohol then the left side of the brain)

People who are left handed use the right side of the brain most while right handed people use the left side of the brain most.

In Many cultures children who were left handed were forced to use there right hands instead.

More men than women are lefties

Left handed stroke victims recover faster than right handed stroke victims

Left-handers more likely than right handers to be creative geniuses

Left-handers were severely discriminated against during the 18th and 19th centuries and it was often “beaten out” of people

In adulthood, left-handers were often shunned by society, resulting in fewer marrying and reproducing

As discrimination was reduced in the 20th century, the number of natural left-handers who stayed left-handed increased

The rising age of motherhood contributed as, statistically, older mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed children

Left-handers are also generally better at 3-dimensional perception and thinking

Left-handers are also usually pretty good at most ball sports and things involving hand-to-eye co-ordination

Left-handers’ brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities

A study found that left-handed men are 15% richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26% richer if they graduated

Left-Hander’s Day is August 13th

In 60s music, Jimi Hendrix played a right-handed Fender Stratocaster strung upside down to accommodate his left-handedness. Paul McCartney of The Beatles is left-handed; when he first played for John Lennon , he played Lennon’s right-handed guitar upside-down. Ringo Starr of the Beatles is also left-handed

Left-handed persons are thought to process information using a “visual simultaneous” method in which several threads can be processed simultaneously.

Left-handed people have an excellent ability to multi-task

The hypothesis that left-handed people are predisposed to visual-based thought has been validated by a variety of evidence.

Left-handed university students are more likely to major in visually-based, as opposed to language-based subjects. Another sample of 103 art students found an astounding 47% were left- or mixed-handed.

In the Middle Ages, writing with your left hand was punishable by death

Half of left handed people use a computer mouse with their right hand.

If both parents are left handed, 50% of their offspring will be left handed. 2 Righties only have 2% chance of having a leftie (both my parents were right-handed)

There are twice as many left handed boys than girls

President Obama is left-handed

I prefer to call it right handed and wrong handed.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sounds like a load of Lefty Propaganda to me!
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

It's not propoganda. I am just a little tired of hearing right-handed guitarists telling me I should either quit or learn to play the "correct" way.

I am proud to be a lefty, the next step in the evolution of man . Besides, some of the greatest minds in history have been lefties-Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Ludwig van Beethoven, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein, Charlie Chaplin, Bobby Fisher, Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Mozart. . .

But hey, you righties have genius too-just not in the same percentage as lefties.

Comment

Many of those "facts" are total bs. of course but a lot statistics indeed show that lefties have a pretty high creativity but we all know that they end up playing hockey and beating themselves silly so it doesn't really mater. Besides writing with a left hand looks fucking stupid.

That being said I believe it has to do with brain development during the early stages. On the paper homo sapiens is evolved to be a right handed and in that case the right side of the brain is where all the logical thinking happens (calculations, math, grammar etc.) while left side of the brain is where the creativity comes from. Musical hearing, intonation, rhythm etc. also come from the left side of the brain. When we say "but my heart tells me this..." or "I can feel it in my gut" actually means that our left side of the brain is being busy.
          In the case of lefties, the left side of the brain becomes the logic motor and the right side becomes the creativity engine. So during the early development of human body there's a drastic reaction which makes it happen and it somehow can boost the brain activity.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Many of those "facts" are total bs. of course but a lot statistics indeed show that lefties have a pretty high creativity but we all know that they end up playing hockey and beating themselves silly so it doesn't really mater. Besides writing with a left hand looks fucking stupid.

That being said I believe it has to do with brain development during the early stages. On the paper homo sapiens is evolved to be a right handed and in that case the right side of the brain is where all the logical thinking happens (calculations, math, grammar etc.) while left side of the brain is where the creativity comes from. Musical hearing, intonation, rhythm etc. also come from the left side of the brain. When we say "but my heart tells me this..." or "I can feel it in my gut" actually means that our left side of the brain is being busy.
            In the case of lefties, the left side of the brain becomes the logic motor and the right side becomes the creativity engine. So during the early development of human body there's a drastic reaction which makes it happen and it somehow can boost the brain activity.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

All animals have some level of intelligence.

Creativity is unique to man.

Therefore, man is higher than the other animals.

Lefties are more creative than righties; therefore. . . well, you get the idea.

Left-handedness is the wave of the future. In the same way that supersonic jets and stealth bombers replaced th Wright Brothers' aircraft and dropping cannonballs from hot air ballons, so, too, shall the lefthanded man prove superior over the dark backwardness of the righty.

If you haven't guessed by now, my posts tend to be very tongue-in cheek. (If you were a LEFTY you'd have been smart enough to realize that by now. . .)
              Last edited by kamalayka; 02-19-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Left handed people also have a 10% lower life expectancy.. This is attributed to the stresses of growing up in a right handed world..

The reason being left handed was so discriminated against in the 18th and 19th centuries was because of Satansism.. It is referred to as "the left hand path"..
                Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Lefties are against God! Satan worshippers!
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Righties tend to skip over really long, boring posts by lefties
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

both my parents are lefties. Proof that two wrongs can make a right!
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Righties tend to skip over really long, boring posts by lefties

"Kill righty!"
                        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                        X