Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
    obviously, i'm a robber.
    Well get off of Tommy's computer and see if he's got any cool Charvels sitting around!

Good luck staying smoke-free dude. Like I said, I still want one once in a while... The important part to quitting smoking, is not smoking anymore. If you just keep not smoking any more, you're winning!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
      We picked up this book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. We both just stopped after reading the book, and never looked back.
      If that's the book with the "Two Step Quitting Program", I read it and thought it was a complete joke.

Step 1: Don't smoke
      Step 2: Be happy that you are no longer a smoker

If it was that easy, I figure I could make a million bucks with my "Three Step Weight Loss Program".

Step 1: Eat less
      Step 2: Exercise more
      Step 3: Be happy that you are no longer a fat fuck
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
        If that's the book with the "Two Step Quitting Program", I read it and thought it was a complete joke.

If it was that easy, I figure I could make a million bucks with my "Three Step Weight Loss Program".

I like EL34s.

Comment

Me... I quit smoking 15 years ago. Cold turkey..while still drinkin' beer. Man..I shook for 2 weeks!.
          was A royal pain.
          Of course Oregon damn near gives away medical mary jane cards..so..

I think bong hits are better then camel... toes...
          puff puff...pass....

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post

It's very easy to throw the concept out, but did you actually read the book and follow the plan? You're still smoking, so I am guessing not.

In all honesty, I thought the book was a complete joke too while I was reading it. It wasn't until I actually finished the book and followed the reasoning in it that I was able to quit. Yes, obviously you can sum it up with "quit smoking and be happy you quit"...but understanding the brainwashing that's involved with smoking and undoing that is the main focus to break the addiction. Smoking is a nervous habit and more a psychological addiction than a physical addiction. The physical cravings go away incredibly fast. It's the remaining psychological crutch that makes most people fail when they try to quit.

We make excuses to keep smoking...things like "I'm not addicted, I only smoke casually" or "it calms my nerves" but those really are only part of the brainwashing. Just like thinking "I'll just smoke one cigarette" after you quit...that will never work; the entire cycle rotates back around. I can't explain it as well as the author did...If I could, I would reword it and write my own book lol! And it really doesn't come together until you finish the book and put it all together.

But the bottom line is that it worked for us, and it truly was far easier than I thought it would be. It may not work for everyone. But it feels good to know I have stopped smoking. And it's nice to actually be able to breathe again, not to mention that my senses of smell and taste have come back.
            Last edited by DalyTek; 03-03-2011, 12:52 AM.
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I've quit a few times for several years each... I currently don't smoke and its been a few years.

Cold turkey tons of chewing gum is the only way AND you have to change your daily routine... don't take breaks at work, etc.

The car was the worst.

That being said.. I LOVE the smell of ANY kind of smoke. I like to smell it... and I wish I could smoke it... always will. Its will power. That being said I'm overweight and have no will power there. Hmmm. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                But the bottom line is that it worked for us, and it truly was far easier than I thought it would be. It may not work for everyone. But it feels good to know I have stopped smoking.
                I am happy that the book worked for you and your wife. I didn't mean to shit on your accomplishment at all.

My impression of that book was that the author telling you why smokers are conditioned to smoke for about 25 chapters, then busting out the "Two Step Program" in Chapter 26 was insulting to the reader's intelligence, especially in view of the Introduction, in which he states (I am paraphrasing from memory):

This is a super simple program. There are only two simple steps. If you finish this book and are still unable to quit, perhaps you didn't understand the concepts written herein, so I suggest that you read it again.

And it's nice to actually be able to breathe again, not to mention that my senses of smell and taste have come back.
                With respect to the sense of taste, I quit for a little over 8 months about 11 years ago. I said to my girlfriend at the time,

"Supposedly food tastes better when you quit smoking... When is it going to happen for me?" Her reply was,

"As much as you eat, you don't need for your food to taste any better."

Congrats again for being able to quit
                Last edited by QuantumRider; 03-03-2011, 01:58 AM.
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

This thread is awesome....for figuring out who NOT to buy gear from!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

QR: Sorry if I came off harsh also. I'm proud of accomplishing what I thought was impossible, and I commend & support people who overcome any addiction because of it. Also, your paraphrasing was pretty dead-on. I think the book could have been WAY shorter, as he repeats himself A LOT.
                    I think what helped me in the book was realizing that a lot of my "reasons" why I smoked (and why I couldn't stop) were excuses and each was covered in that book. He could have summed it up and got to the point quicker though.

The worst thing for me about quitting was that I bought a nice minty-looking Epiphone Custom Shop SG with hard shell case that just looked and played amazing and after I got it home it REEKED of smoke! I couldn't smell it in the open air of the parking lot where I met the seller (from Craigslist,) but once I got it home and re-opened the case.....WHEW! I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the smell, but nothing worked! I wound up trading it off.

Coincidentally, the item I traded it for, I wound up selling and got my much-loved Jackson Kelly that's in my sig, so all turned out well!
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

DalyTek,

No worries, I didn't take offense at your post in the first place. I realized after reading it, though, that perhaps my summary of Allen Carr's book could be interpreted as an attack to those who followed his program as well.

Ron,

Wanna try my weight loss program?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        I don't smoke inside and I wash my hands thoroughly before playing. Also, pipes do not make you hands smell like cigarettes do. None of my guitars smell like smoke.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

My weekly procedure is as follows.

1 ) Pick an album
                          2 ) Pour a dram of whisky
                          3 ) Go and sit on my patio
                          4 ) Light up, put headphones on
                          5 ) Ask any tensions I may have to close the door on the way out.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            I don't smoke inside and I wash my hands thoroughly before playing. Also, pipes do not make you hands smell like cigarettes do. None of my guitars smell like smoke.
                            You know what's weird? As an ex-smoker, I DETEST the smell of cigarette smoke, but I always have loved the smell of most pipe tobaccos...especially the flavored ones.
                            It reminds me of incense kinda...only better.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              The smell goes away eventually. That RGZ611 was pretty smoky-smelling when I got it, but that smell went away after about a year!! Very resonant guitar, thanks again, I love that thing to play acoustically as well as amped!!

Note: Ron bought it for me for my birthday, just because I liked it in the Classifieds! He wasn't the smoker, in case anybody wonders! But that guy was awesome too! Ron, you are STILL the man!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X