Time-lapse video of CNC carving a guitar body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time-lapse video of CNC carving a guitar body

Last edited by emperor_black; 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM.
    Sam

I dunno; is consistency in the shape of your guitar really such a bad deal? I don't see why people hate on CNC machines carving bodies. I personally think it's a good thing.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Cool, video! I don't get the hate for these things either. They can be way more accurate and consistent than any human could ever be. How exactly is that a bad thing? What we are seeing with low-end products probably has more to do with the materials they use, the quality of the machinery they use, quality assurance and so forth.

Comment

That was cool....
        Live Hard, Die Hard
        Just don't forget to party once in awhile

Comment

I think the hate for CNC is 3-fold.

1: The manufacturers are using CNC equipment to make crappy playing/sounding products look better to sell the product.

2: The guys who are small and have to do everything by hand can not afford a CNC. There are some fantastic luthiers/builders out there, but, even their stuff can not compete with the CNC fit and finish on a regular basis. Big brand " built by hand " manufacturing is a thing of the past and a lost art. This takes us to the next issue...

3: Many people feel there is no mojo in the CNC guitar right out of the gate. Guitar players see their instruments as a living breathing extensions of themesleves.

Sure, you can not CNC grain filling, final sanding, etc., but, those were tasks left to the less skilled people while the master luthier did all the cutting and carving where it counted the most.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument. -Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
            I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument. -Lou
            Lou I'm gonna use that as part of my sig if you don't mind.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Knock yourself out.-Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Where's the Lou byline? You should credit the author, eh?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                X